Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How can I stop this???
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat How can I stop this??? Post 302600322 by 300zxmuro on Monday 20th of February 2012 08:44:38 PM
Old 02-20-2012
Thanks for the note.

The messages are coming from ssh not from console. I get them and the users too.

There is SAP and I believe oracle too.

The *.emerg is commented out in the /etc/rsyslog.conf/rpmsave

I believe we maybe using a custom syslog program that is the one creating those messages.

I found this:

@version:3.2
# syslog-ng configuration file.
#
# This should behave pretty much like the original syslog on RedHat. But
# it could be configured a lot smarter.
#
# See syslog-ng(8) and syslog-ng.conf(5) for more information.
#
options {
flush_lines (0);
time_reopen (10);
log_fifo_size (1000);
long_hostnames (off);
use_dns (no);
use_fqdn (no);
create_dirs (no);
keep_hostname (yes);
};
source s_sys {
file ("/proc/kmsg" program_override("kernel: "));
unix-stream ("/dev/log");
internal();
# udp(ip(0.0.0.0) port(514));
};
destination d_cons { file("/dev/console"); };
destination d_mesg { file("/var/log/messages"); };
destination d_auth { file("/var/log/secure"); };
destination d_mail { file("/var/log/maillog" flush_lines(10)); };
destination d_spol { file("/var/log/spooler"); };
destination d_boot { file("/var/log/boot.log"); };
destination d_cron { file("/var/log/cron"); };
destination d_kern { file("/var/log/kern"); };
destination d_mlal { usertty("*"); };
# Some default filters require modification for DBA
filter f_kernel { facility(kern); };
filter f_default { level(info..emerg) and
not (facility(mail)
or facility(authpriv)
"syslog-ng.conf" [readonly] 111L, 4757C

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

How do I stop this???

Am having trouble trying to stop the process below ... bash# ps -eaf | grep "tape erase" root 29715 1 0 05:16:22 ttyp1 00:00:00 tape erase /dev/rStp0 root 22464 20933 1 03:40:12 ttyp6 00:00:00 grep tape eraseI've tried ... `kill -9 29715` ... but still no luck. Help... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cameron
8 Replies

2. SCO

stop commands

i hit ping to ping a server, and it keeps going. how do you stop it? ctrl Z, D, C, nothing works. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to stop others users to stop viewing what i am doing ?

Hi , I have one question, suppose i am a normal user and when i use 'w' command , it shows who is logged on and what they are doing . Now i want to stop others users to know what i am doing accept the root ? can i do this ? thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mobile01
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

help me stop spammer

Hello, I am hosting a site that someone is bouncing a huge amount of spam off of and I have not been able to find what file they are using to abuse my server. Short of terminating the account and telling my customer to take a hike I am hoping someone can help me find the file that is being... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dorpan
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Stop+A equal

Hi, I have replaced my current Intel PC machine with Solaris 10, it use to have windows XP. I am sure alot of people already done this and i have seen Solaris running smoothly but having keyboard problem. What is the equal keys in a QWERTY keyboard for selection <Stop+A> ? Is there a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tlee
5 Replies

6. AIX

a process that never stop

Dears all i have an AIX box in which i am facing a problem with a process as below: /usr/dt/bin/dtexec -open 0 -ttprocid and each time i am killing this process with "kill -9" then it run again after a while. any ideas or solutions will be appreciated. (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheEngineer
13 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To Stop at error

Hi All, I am running parallel process as they all run the same JOBS and only thing which changes is the argument which ia passed. I am doing it as follows script.sh $1 & script.sh $2 & script.sh $3 &.. and so on. Now each process has same set of JOBS which are to be executed. Now say... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Prashantckc
1 Replies

8. Solaris

stop - A

I am using solaris x86 with a pc keyboard. i am trying to get to the ok prompt i have tried ctrl-break but it is not working , alt-break will not as well. pls any thought? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: seyiisq
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stop the process

I have the following log file running since yesterday and its consuming so much of the disk space. -rw-rw-r-- 1 dev dba 4543237120 Nov 10 09:00 load_run_file1_0.1111091224.lg How do i kill this process. I don't have any idea of stopping this. Any help would be really appreciated. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
3 Replies
SYSLOG.CONF(5)                                                BSD File Formats Manual                                               SYSLOG.CONF(5)

NAME
syslog.conf -- configuration file for syslogd(8) DESCRIPTION
The syslog.conf file is the configuration file for the syslogd(8) program. It consists of lines with two fields: the selector field which specifies the types of messages and priorities to which the line applies, and an action field which specifies the action to be taken if a message syslogd receives matches the selection criteria. The selector field is separated from the action field by one or more tab or space characters. A rule can be splitted in several lines if all lines except the last are terminated with a backslash (``''). The Selectors function are encoded as a facility, a period (``.''), and a level, with no intervening white-space. Both the facility and the level are case insensitive. The facility describes the part of the system generating the message, and is one of the following keywords: auth, authpriv, cron, daemon, kern, lpr, mail, mark, news, syslog, user, uucp and local0 through local7. These keywords (with the exception of mark) correspond to the similar ``LOG_'' values specified to the openlog(3) and syslog(3) library routines. The level describes the severity of the message, and is a keyword from the following ordered list (higher to lower): emerg, alert, crit, err, warning, notice and debug. These keywords correspond to the similar (LOG_) values specified to the syslog library routine. See syslog(3) for a further descriptions of both the facility and level keywords and their significance. If a received message matches the specified facility and is of the specified level (or a higher level), the action specified in the action field will be taken. Multiple selectors may be specified for a single action by separating them with semicolon (``;'') characters. It is important to note, how- ever, that each selector can modify the ones preceding it. Multiple facilities may be specified for a single level by separating them with comma (``,'') characters. An asterisk (``*'') can be used to specify all facilities or all levels. By default, a level applies to all messages with the same or higher level. The equal (``='') character can be prepended to a level to restrict this line of the configuration file to messages with the very same level. An exclamation mark (``!'') prepended to a level or the asterisk means that this line of the configuration file does not apply to the speci- fied level (and higher ones). In conjunction with the equal sign, you can exclude single levels as well. The special facility ``mark'' receives a message at priority ``info'' every 20 minutes (see syslogd(8)). This is not enabled by a facility field containing an asterisk. The special level ``none'' disables a particular facility. The action field of each line specifies the action to be taken when the selector field selects a message. There are five forms: o A pathname (beginning with a leading slash). Selected messages are appended to the file. You may prepend a minus (``-'') to the path to omit syncing the file after each message log. This can cause data loss at system crashes, but increases performance for programs which use logging extensively. o A named pipe (fifo), beginning with a vertical bar (``|'') followed by a pathname. The pipe must be created with mkfifo(8) before syslogd reads its configuration file. This feature is especially useful fo debugging. o A hostname (preceded by an at (``@'') sign). Selected messages are forwarded to the syslogd program on the named host. o A comma separated list of users. Selected messages are written to those users if they are logged in. o An asterisk. Selected messages are written to all logged-in users. Blank lines and lines whose first non-blank character is a hash (``#'') character are ignored. EXAMPLES
A configuration file might appear as follows: # Log all kernel messages, authentication messages of # level notice or higher and anything of level err or # higher to the console. # Don't log private authentication messages! *.err;kern.*;auth.notice;authpriv.none /dev/console # Log anything (except mail) of level info or higher. # Don't log private authentication messages! *.info;mail.none;authpriv.none /var/log/messages # The authpriv file has restricted access. authpriv.* /var/log/secure # Log all the mail messages in one place. mail.* /var/log/maillog # Everybody gets emergency messages, plus log them on another # machine. *.emerg * *.emerg @arpa.berkeley.edu # Root and Eric get alert and higher messages. *.alert root,eric # Save mail and news errors of level err and higher in a # special file. uucp,news.crit /var/log/spoolerr FILES
/etc/syslog.conf The syslogd(8) configuration file. BUGS
The effects of multiple selectors are sometimes not intuitive. For example ``mail.crit,*.err'' will select ``mail'' facility messages at the level of ``err'' or higher, not at the level of ``crit'' or higher. SEE ALSO
syslog(3), syslogd(8) 4.4BSD June 9, 1993 4.4BSD