Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Learning OS design, Linux Vs. Minix??? Post 302598427 by jlliagre on Tuesday 14th of February 2012 11:37:53 AM
Old 02-14-2012
While certainly a confidential Unix variant, Minix is neither obsolete (last versions were released in October 2010) nor 16 bit (it can be compiled in 16 or 32 bit).

Quoting Andy Tanenbaum:
Please be aware that MINIX 3 is not your grandfather's MINIX ... MINIX 1 was written as an educational tool ... MINIX 3 is that plus a start at building a highly reliable, self-healing, bloat-free operating system ... MINIX 1 and MINIX 3 are related in the same way as Windows 3.1 and Windows XP are: same first name.

Last edited by jlliagre; 02-14-2012 at 05:34 PM.. Reason: typo

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Learning Unix & Linux

I'm new to Unix. I'm just looking for really good unix documents through Internet as pdf format on programming in all shells, and system adminstrator documents, and well as just all around really good documents on unix. Thank you (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: faaarin
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Learning Unix/Linux from the Start?

I was wondering if someone could tell me where I could learn everything about Unix/Linux and I was also wondering what the differance between Unix and Linux was :confused: Ive never used it, never seen it.. But Im interested in learning :D (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vallzi
3 Replies

3. Solaris

AIX, Solaris, Linux Test Environment Design Question

AIX, Solaris, Linux Test Environment Design Question We want to set an AIX, Solaris & Linux test environment. Here are the hardware equipments: (1) A Sunfire v100 (or v120), 1GB memory, two 36GB HDD. (2) An IBM pSeries 7026, 1 GB memory, 4 9GB HDD. (3) Five external HDD with SCSI... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AIX, Solaris, Linux Test Environment Design Question

AIX, Solaris, Linux Test Environment Design Question We want to set an AIX, Solaris & Linux test environment. Here are the hardware equipments: (1) A Sunfire v100 (or v120), 1GB memory, two 36GB HDD. (2) An IBM pSeries 7026, 1 GB memory, 4 9GB HDD. (3) Five external HDD with SCSI... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixlover
1 Replies

5. Linux

which linux is best for learning unix?

I have just installed Ubuntu because I need a linux system asap and Ubuntu seems to be easiest for that. But I plan on installing some other Linux distro's for a while (maybe on virtualBox too) so i can understand the inner workings of linux and especially more about unix. I know that alot of the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: fuzzylogic25
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Learning abt Linux OS

hi guys, i got job recently in a company which provide a product for data backup and data recovery... as dis product is wrriten in c++ am workin in c++.. now am under training and i want to learn abt Operating System concepts and OS programming using c and c++. i know basic c and c++ programming... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthil.march
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting up a home network for learning Linux

I am working on learning Linux, and somebody suggested setting up Linux on a separate computer, and searching for answers to whatever may be needed, on a different computer plugged in to the Internet. I have a Windows 7 PC, plugged in to a cable modem, and an old notebook, Compaq Presario R3000... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AdultFoundry
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Learning to Script in Linux

Hello, I'm trying to branch out and learn Linux, but my comfort zone is PowerShell. I figure the best way to learn it is to do it so I moved my Plex Media Server to Ubuntu Server. What I'm trying to do is build a script that searches a directory and all subdirectories for files with the .ts... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rhysers
5 Replies
gvrng(1)																  gvrng(1)

NAME
gvrng - An interactive, introductory programming language. SYNTAX
gvrng [world file | program file] DESCRIPTION
Guido van Robot is a project developed by advanced high school students for use by their peers as a learning tool and precursor to the fur- ther study of programming with Python. It is a minimalistic programming language providing just enough syntax to help students learn the concepts of sequencing, conditional branching, looping and procedural abstraction. It's biggest strength is that it permits this learning in an environment that combines the thrill of problem-solving with instant visual feedback. In short, it is an interactive, introductory programming language that is excellent for learning the basic concepts of programming, applicable in any high-level language. Best of all, it's a whole lot of fun, too! At this point, you are probably asking yourself, "What is GvRng, specifically?" The gist of it is that it is a robot represented by a tri- angle on the screen that moves around in a world made up of streets and avenues, walls and "beepers", which Guido can collect or set. His actions are completely guided by a program written by the user. FILES
/usr/bin/gvrng /usr/lib/gvrng /usr/share/doc/gvrng AUTHORS
Stas Zytkiewicz - stasz@linux.isbeter.nl Waseem Daher - wdaher@mit.edu Steve Howell - showell@zipcon.net SEE ALSO
http://gvrng.sourceforge.net Stas Zytkiewicz 1.0 09/13/2004 gvrng(1)