Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Create a condition for a non-included string Post 302598212 by h0ujun on Monday 13th of February 2012 08:21:33 PM
Old 02-13-2012
Create a condition for a non-included string

hey,

just want to ask how to check this scenario

Code:
a="apple banana cherry"
if [ a does not contain egg ]
    egg=0
fi

how do you do the condition?

thanks!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to create folder wen the condition satisfied

hi i hav files ha1j ha2m ha3n ha4q ha5s ...like tat im having some 20 files ..and i want to create a folder as the same amount of files which im having wen the condition if loop is satisfied .. thank you (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: maximas
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to split the String based on condition?

hi , I have a String str="/opt/ibm/lotus/ibw/latest" or ="/opt/lotus/ibw/latest" this value is dynamic..I want to split this string into 2 strings 1. /opt/ibm/lotus(/opt/lotus) this string must ends with "lotus" 2./ibw/latest can any body help me on this? Regards, sankar (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankar reddy
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

create separate file after checking condition..

Problem : I want to create a separate file for country list if condition is true. Please help. ***************************************************** Input file: SV-INCR-139302-365540488-201104090934.sqllog SV-INCR-1082-552793184-201104040805.sqllog SV-INCR-1077-855045741-201104040805.sqllog... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: humaemo
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error in if condition string comparison

Hello all! I need help in debugging following script. I have no idea where I am going wrong. #!/bin/bash for p1 in A1 TM MP do for p2 in A1 TM MP do for mp1 in N1 N2 do for mp2 in N1 N2 do for mp3 in N1 N2 do for mp4 in N1 N2 do for... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: RLOA
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

String comparison in if condition

I have written a condition if && where i am comparing the hour value with 00, can i do that, as i am checking if the hour value in the date is not equal to 00 and then diplaying the time as p.m else in a.m. Please tell me if i can compare $hour with 00. Is that correct or an error? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharmistha
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash condition test at the end of string

I want to check (using bash condition test function) if string contains three spaces, ignoring last three spaces at the end of string. string_to_report='foo bar foo bar ' string_to_ignore='foo bar ' (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: useretail
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create a file on UNIX with multiple columns on certain condition

I need to write the list of files to a new file in one column , the second column would contain the first line of that file (header record extracted through head -1 ) and the third column would contain the last record of that file (trailer record tail -1 ) . Example :- folder where the files... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: IshuGupta
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create Dynamic if condition

Create Dynamic If condition Hi, I have a file color.txt which has data as shown below Red Blue Green Yellow White Pink Black Based on a variable I execute a tail command as shown below tail -${LEFT_OVR} color.txt LEFT_OVR can be any number less than count of number of lines in a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wahi80
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to create folder by using if and elif condition?

Hi All, I have already code to create folder for one country let say US , now we want to create folder/directory for JP country also using shell script , application server. $COUNTRY='US' if ] then if mkdir -m 777 -p /opt/TEST/$COUNTRY/$INVOICE >/dev/null 2>&1 | tee -a ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Boost
5 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)