Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Prize of being an Admin
The Lounge War Stories Prize of being an Admin Post 302597677 by admin_xor on Saturday 11th of February 2012 10:55:04 AM
Old 02-11-2012
@Neo

I'm not really sure about exact number of application running in the environment as the client is a giant company spreading in US, UK and NL. There are 143 UNIX/Linux (AIX, Solaris and RHEL) servers dedicated for different things. This particular server hosts only one application. The research group is the end users of the application. They access it through Citrix. The app admin team is a different group. Problem is that the end users do not differentiate among the teams. To them, we are all IT people with weird techie-terms. That's why I got blamed for taking 24 hours to fix the issue. Whereas the actual people who should be blamed is the app admin team for not responding to my calls/E-mails.

@Peasant

You are right! Will just do what I'm paid for. Smilie

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

fresh admin

hi everybody i'm just recreuted as UNIX system admin... please tell me from where do i have to begin... best regards (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hmaiida
8 Replies

2. Solaris

Tape Admin

Tape: Need tape library help please. Need to configure a remote admin card in the L100. Anything helpful.....thxs (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uwinix77
2 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

note for admin

i left a message for admin in the wrong thread.. it is in the what is on your mind thread since i can't move it or delete it.. i thought I would mention that I meant it to be in this thread.. sorry about the mistake.. thanx for your patience moxxx68 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
3 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Windows Admin switching to *nix Admin

I'm currently a Windows admin and have wanted to jump ship to the *nix side for a while now. I've been studying both through an lpic level 1 manual as I have time (focusing on debian), and a solaris 10 cert book. The problem is I only have a handful of hours a week to study, and my current job... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobwilson
3 Replies

5. War Stories

Prize of being an Admin - Part 2

I was reading this thread of admin_xor Prize of being an Admin and thought will share this experience of mine which is kind of opposite to what he did - I didn't tell anybody what happened :D We were porting one of the subsystem from Solaris to Linux. As part of that we developed many wrapper... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahamed101
23 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Regarding Admin life either as DBA or UNIX Linux admin

I am planning to choose my career as Unix/Linux Admin or a DBA. But I have come to know from forums and few admins like the job will be 24/7. I have few questions on that. Can we get "DAY" shifts in any one of the admin Job ? Can't we have shift timings in any company ? Eventhough the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jacktts
7 Replies
nice(3) 						     Library Functions Manual							   nice(3)

Name
       nice - set program priority

Syntax
       int nice(incr)
       int incr;

Description
       The scheduling priority of the process is augmented by incr.  Positive priorities get less service than normal.	Priority 10 is recommended
       to users who wish to execute long-running programs without flack from the administration.

Negative increments are ignored except on behalf of the super-user.  The priority is limited to the range -20 (most urgent) to 20 (least).

The priority of a process is passed to a child process by For a privileged process to return to normal  priority  from  an  unknown  state,
       should  be  called successively with arguments -40 (goes to priority -20 because of truncation), 20 (to get to 0), then 0 (to maintain com-
       patibility with previous versions of this call).

Environment
       In any mode, nice returns -1 and sets on an error.  On success, the return value depends on the mode in which your  program  was  compiled.
       In  POSIX  or  System V mode, it is the new priority; otherwise, it is zero.  Note that, in POSIX and System V mode, -1 can indicate either
       success or failure; must be used to determine which.

See Also
       nice(1), fork(2), setpriority(2), renice(8)

nice(3)