Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers this cshell script does not work ?? Post 302597601 by kaaliakahn on Friday 10th of February 2012 06:06:17 PM
Old 02-10-2012
i get the following when i do echo $DISPLAY
ba08ut01:12:0

Note i have written this in the original post as well. Please see if you get a chance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with cshell script to read 1 or more lex files

taskes one or more .l files and compiles them #!/usr/bin/csh #while loop to carry on asking user to enter the files while $number!=0 echo "enter file name" #check to see if file ends with .l #if file ends with .l compile lexx.yy.c file for each file this is how i think it needs... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: homerj546
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make a cshell (csh) script interactive

Experts, I tried to make my cshell script interactive by asking the user for password and trying to read the input using the "read" command. I have been unsuccessful so far. Do you have any idea ? Thanks Jim (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmynath
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script doesn't work, but commands inside work

Howdie everyone... I have a shell script RemoveFiles.sh Inside this file, it only has two commands as below: rm -f ../../reportToday/temp/* rm -f ../../report/* My problem is that when i execute this script, nothing happened. Files remained unremoved. I don't see any error message as it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cheongww
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify Perl script to work with txt - Permissions script

Hi I have this code, and i want work with a ls -shalR output in .txt What i need read to do this?? Where start? #!/usr/bin/perl # Allrights- A perl tool for making backups of file permissions # Copyright (C) 2005 Norbert Klein <norbert@acodedb.com> # This program is free... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joangopan
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regarding Decimals in Cshell

Hello... I am new to unix and I am wondering if in a C-shell script , Are we supposed to use only whole numbers........ for example..if a program needs to calculate the average of some numbers........ @ avg = (($1 +$2 + $3)/3)) is returning a whole number.........How can a decimal be achieved... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravindra22
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script cShell - help!!

Hello everyone! i'm new in this forum and I'm here because I have a huge problem with a csh script. Here the problem: I have to write a script that check the system status, more precisely I have to check if there are processes with TIME > 3 hours and if such processes exists I must send a mail... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheBeefEater
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

cshell script problem

Hi ,I have this simple code,why is not working thanks #!/bin/csh set res=find ./ -name "*.bash" | wc -l $res > result.txt (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: lio123
16 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unable to call a script from another script in cshell

Hi, I am unable to call one script from another script in c shell on windows SUA environment. Please find below code , File1 āTmp.csh: #!/bin/csh setenv PATH "${PATH}:.:$TOP/bin:$TOP/RMBIN/bin:$GP_SUA/:$INTERIX_ROOT" echo "hi1" . /tmp1.csh File2ātmp1.csh ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gthangav
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

My script work on Linux but not work in sunos.

My script work on Linux but not work in sun os. my script. logFiles="sentLog1.log sentLog2.log" intial_time="0 0" logLocation="/usr/local/tomcat/logs/" sleepTime=600 failMessage=":: $(tput bold)Log not update$(tput rmso) = " successMessage="OK" arr=($logFiles)... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning any number to the variable in cshell script

Hello Guys, I would like to ask you for a favor. Could you please help me how can I assign any number as the parameter to a, from stdin (-c), in the following command line by using the 'switch' in a script? awk '$8>a {print "File name:" $5,$8}' I would also appreciate if you can share any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Padavan
1 Replies
SHTOOL-ECHO.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool						SHTOOL-ECHO.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-echo - GNU shtool echo(1) extensional command SYNOPSIS
shtool echo [-n|--newline] [-e|--expand] string DESCRIPTION
shtool echo is an echo(1) style command which prints string to stdout and optionally provides special expansion constructs (terminal bold mode, environment details, date, etc) and newline control. The trick of this command is that it provides a portable -n option and hides the gory details needed to find out the environment details under option -e. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -n, --newline By default, output is written to stdout followed by a "newline" (ASCII character 0x0a). If option -n is used, this newline character is omitted. -e, --expand If option -e is used, string can contain special "%x" constructs which are expanded before the output is written. Currently the following constructs are recognized: %B switch terminal mode to bold display mode. %b switch terminal mode back to normal display mode. %u the current user name. %U the current user id (numerical). %g the current group name. %G the current group id (numerical). %h the current hostname (without any domain extension). %d the current domain name. %D the current day of the month. %M the current month (numerical). %m the current month name. %Y the current year. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool echo -n -e "Enter your name [%B%u%b]: "; read name shtool echo -e "Your Email address might be %u@%h%d" shtool echo -e "The current date is %D-%m-%Y" HISTORY
The GNU shtool echo command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1998 for Website META Language (WML) under the name buildinfo. It was later taken over into GNU shtool. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), echo(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-ECHO.TMP(1)