Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: label a slice on disk erorr
Operating Systems Solaris label a slice on disk erorr Post 302597290 by newbi8321 on Friday 10th of February 2012 12:01:36 AM
Old 02-10-2012
label a slice on disk erorr

Hi there,

I am trying to do root volume mirroring on SunFire V210 server. I have two disks in it.First one is c1t0do and second one is c1t1do. Both disks already have partitions in them so I am deleting the partitions of second disk(c1t1do) using format command and selecting cylinder start 0 and size 0mb. When I do the same on partition 6 I could not able to label the partition 6 and its shows an error. Please help me . Thanks in advance.

Code:
partition> 6
Part      Tag    Flag     Cylinders        Size            Blocks
  6 unassigned    wm    4027 - 4047      104.34MB    (21/0/0) 213696

Enter partition id tag[unassigned]:
Enter partition permission flags[wm]:
Enter new starting cyl[4027]: 0
Enter partition size[213696b, 21c, 20e, 104.34mb, 0.10gb]: 0mb
partition> label
Ready to label disk, continue? y

Warning: error writing VTOC.
Warning: no backup labels
Label failed.

---------- Post updated at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:42 PM ----------

Solution : You should never make size of slice 2 0mb. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot label disk when partitions are in use as described

:confused: Hello, In my Solaris system, I want to resize my mounted home directory slice. 1.I unmount the slice, #umount /export/home 2.Resize the directory #format>partition> 3.#format>label 4.#format>Cannot label disk when partitions are in use as described. So, How can label ? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: XNOR
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Warning: No Disk Label

Hi Fellows, I am trying to mirror 2 identical disks on a SUN Ultra 10 machines (with new installation of Solaris 8). In the process, I found 2 issues: 1. prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 | fmthard -s - /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0 Result: Disk partitions between the 2 disks do not match up. 2. manually... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: o51974
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Ways to analyse root disk slice

Hi, Recently I faced with need of analyze root disk. I figured out two possible ways to do it: 1. Practical. Boot from CD and run format 2. Theoretical. Create live upgrade boot environment on another disk, activate it, reboot, unmont all root disk partitions and run format. I've already... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sapfeer
3 Replies

4. Solaris

ZFS disk label missing

I 'm having problem in importing a zfs pool was getting error device missing and upon further digging found that labels on my disk for zpool are missing Does anyone know how to recover from it ? root@essapl020-u006 # zdb -l /dev/dsk/emcpower0c --------------------------------------------... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Help:"Bad checksum in disk label" and "Can't open disk label package"?

Hello, I'm brand new to Sun/Solaris. I have a Sun Blade 150, with SunOS 5.8. I wanted to make a backup to prevent future data loss, so I put the disk in a normal PC with Windows XP to try to make a backup with Norton Ghost, the disk was detected, but not the file volume, so I place the disk... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Resadija
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read a disk label?

Hi there, I'm wondering how to display a disk label (why not edit it but I don't need that yet). I found several commands on forums like disklabel and diskinfo but I can't find them on my system and don't know the package they belong to. Can you help me? Cheers Santiago (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
2 Replies

7. Solaris

ZFS - whole disk Vs slice

we have a ZFS file system that was created as a pool of just one disk (raid on a SAN) when this was created it was done as a whole disk, and so EFI label. now we want to mount this file system into an LDOM. my understanding of how ldom's and disk works this is that we can only do this as a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robsonde
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Script to label a disk

Hi Guys, Do you have any script to label a disk automatically. It is part of my script but I am not able to find solution to label this inside script without user intervention. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashant2507198
2 Replies

9. Hardware

Unrecognized disk label on my external HD

Hi everyone, I have an external hard drive and I accidentally deleted the partition table. Can I restore my files? If I try to run the f-disk command this is what it says Disk /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders, total 625142448 sectors Units =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sampa
1 Replies

10. Solaris

ZFS Slice disk

Hi, How to to make a slice and define as ufs from zpool? Please advice me. Thanks. ---------- Post updated at 01:53 AM ---------- Previous update was at 12:24 AM ---------- Before slice: Part Tag Flag Cylinders Size Blocks 0 root wm 0 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mzainal
2 Replies
diskscan(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      diskscan(1M)

NAME
diskscan - perform surface analysis SYNOPSIS
diskscan [-W] [-n] [-y] raw_device DESCRIPTION
diskscan is used by the system administrator to perform surface analysis on a portion of a hard disk. The disk portion may be a raw parti- tion or slice; it is identified using its raw device name. By default, the specified portion of the disk is read (non-destructive) and errors reported on standard error. In addition, a progress report is printed on standard out. The list of bad blocks should be saved in a file and later fed into addbadsec(1M), which will remap them. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -n Causes diskscan to suppress linefeeds when printing progress information on standard out. -W Causes diskscan to perform write and read surface analysis. This type of surface analysis is destructive and should be invoked with caution. -y Causes diskscan to suppress the warning regarding destruction of existing data that is issued when -W is used. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: raw_device The address of the disk drive (see FILES). FILES
The raw device should be /dev/rdsk/c?[t?]d?[ps]?. See disks(1M) for an explanation of SCSI and IDE device naming conventions. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Architecture |x86 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
addbadsec(1M), disks(1M), fdisk(1M), fmthard(1M), format(1M), attributes(5) NOTES
The format(1M) utility is available to format, label, analyze, and repair SCSI disks. This utility is included with the diskscan, addbad- sec(1M), fdisk(1M), and fmthard(1M) commands available for x86. To format an IDE disk, use the DOS format utility; however, to label, ana- lyze, or repair IDE disks on x86 systems, use the Solaris format(1M) utility. SunOS 5.10 24 Feb 1998 diskscan(1M)