Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Prize of being an Admin
The Lounge War Stories Prize of being an Admin Post 302596930 by bartus11 on Wednesday 8th of February 2012 04:43:19 PM
Old 02-08-2012
I think what you should have done is "shift (or share) responsibility" ie - ask research team manager if you can try fixing the issue by yourself if the application responsible is not responding for few hours. Then you would avoid getting trashed by her, as she couldn't say that you wasn't working on the issue. It would also solve the problem of responsibility (at least to some extent) in case things went ugly, that your manager told you about.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

fresh admin

hi everybody i'm just recreuted as UNIX system admin... please tell me from where do i have to begin... best regards (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hmaiida
8 Replies

2. Solaris

Tape Admin

Tape: Need tape library help please. Need to configure a remote admin card in the L100. Anything helpful.....thxs (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uwinix77
2 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

note for admin

i left a message for admin in the wrong thread.. it is in the what is on your mind thread since i can't move it or delete it.. i thought I would mention that I meant it to be in this thread.. sorry about the mistake.. thanx for your patience moxxx68 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
3 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Windows Admin switching to *nix Admin

I'm currently a Windows admin and have wanted to jump ship to the *nix side for a while now. I've been studying both through an lpic level 1 manual as I have time (focusing on debian), and a solaris 10 cert book. The problem is I only have a handful of hours a week to study, and my current job... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobwilson
3 Replies

5. War Stories

Prize of being an Admin - Part 2

I was reading this thread of admin_xor Prize of being an Admin and thought will share this experience of mine which is kind of opposite to what he did - I didn't tell anybody what happened :D We were porting one of the subsystem from Solaris to Linux. As part of that we developed many wrapper... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahamed101
23 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Regarding Admin life either as DBA or UNIX Linux admin

I am planning to choose my career as Unix/Linux Admin or a DBA. But I have come to know from forums and few admins like the job will be 24/7. I have few questions on that. Can we get "DAY" shifts in any one of the admin Job ? Can't we have shift timings in any company ? Eventhough the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jacktts
7 Replies
Tk_MoveToplevelWindow(3)				       Tk Library Procedures					  Tk_MoveToplevelWindow(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tk_MoveToplevelWindow - Adjust the position of a top-level window SYNOPSIS
#include <tk.h> Tk_MoveToplevelWindow(tkwin, x, y) ARGUMENTS
Tk_Window tkwin (in) Token for top-level window to move. int x (in) New x-coordinate for the top-left pixel of tkwin's border, or the top-left pixel of the decorative border supplied for tkwin by the window manager, if there is one. int y (in) New y-coordinate for the top-left pixel of tkwin's border, or the top-left pixel of the decorative border supplied for tkwin by the window manager, if there is one. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
In general, a window should never set its own position; this should be done only by the geometry manger that is responsible for the win- dow. For top-level windows the window manager is effectively the geometry manager; Tk provides interface code between the application and the window manager to convey the application's desires to the geometry manager. The desired size for a top-level window is conveyed using the usual Tk_GeometryRequest mechanism. The procedure Tk_MoveToplevelWindow may be used by an application to request a particular position for a top-level window; this procedure is similar in function to the wm geometry Tcl command except that negative offsets cannot be speci- fied. It is invoked by widgets such as menus that want to appear at a particular place on the screen. When Tk_MoveToplevelWindow is called it does not immediately pass on the new desired location to the window manager; it defers this action until all other outstanding work has been completed, using the Tk_DoWhenIdle mechanism. KEYWORDS
position, top-level window, window manager Tk Tk_MoveToplevelWindow(3)