Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Showing all users in 'users' and 'top' commands Post 302596203 by shoaibjameel123 on Monday 6th of February 2012 11:25:44 PM
Old 02-07-2012
Showing all users in 'users' and 'top' commands

Hi All,

I work in a multi user environment where my school uses Red Hat Linux server. When I issue commands such as "top" or "users", I get to see what others are doing and what kinds of applications they are running (even ps -aux will give such information). "users" will let me know who else is currently logged in. I use Linux at my school not as a superuser.

My question is "Is it not a flaw in the design of the Operating System that I cannot have my privacy in the multi user environment?" The fact is "Why should others see what I am doing on a particular machine?" Only Administrator should have that right.

I am sure there are plenty of talented minds who design the OS but why is this not incorporated in OS? At least there should be an option to disable or enable this. Or is there any specific reason why OS designers have not incorporated this feature in the kernel or even in commands such as top, ps or users?

Last edited by shoaibjameel123; 02-07-2012 at 02:26 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

How to find the top 6 users (which consume most space)?

Hi everybody, I want to know if there is any posibility to find out - on an AIX system - which are the the users who consume most space or at least a posibility to obtain a list with all the users and how much space are they consuming ? Trying to use du command was useless. Any idea?... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RebelDac
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Showing offline users

Hi, Is there any command for showing offline users? The only way I can think of doing it (as i cant find a command) is getting a list of all the online users, and comparing it to /etc/passwd, anything that is in /etc/passwd and not in the users file will be offline users. But I have no... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikejreading
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script for showing last users

Hi! I'm new in scripting and I need some help with one simple script. I have to write a program that shows in a predetermined period (using "last" command), to draw up a list of users who have used the machine during this period. Each user to indicate how many sessions it has been during this... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vassu
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

top 10 users facebook.com

is it possible from shell utility that we can track top 10 ipaddress from squid access.log who visit facebook.com. cat /var1/log/squid/access.log | grep "192.168.1.13" | grep "facebook" | wc -l 777 above will find only one (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find top 4 users currently logged on can i use grep

For the first 4 users only that are currently logged in output their effective user id. It's not important the order in which each logged in i just want to have the top 4. Same question as here...... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: whyatepies
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find top 3 users currently logged on

For the first 3 users only that are currently logged in output their effective user id. thank you. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: whyatepies
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help showing which network protocol users use.

I'm having a bit of a trouble trying to figure out how to tell which network protocol users HAVE been logging in with. I know how to find this information for currently logged in users : maximillian.gardner@syccuxfs01:~> who joseph.blosser pts/0 2012-01-15 14:07 (198.107.160.185)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: maximillian.g
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Top utilization of the users through script

I am trying for a shell script like, if the ram utilization is less than 300M and the load average is more then 4.00 , should take all the top users of memory and CPU utilization through "top" and "ps " command and put under one path. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsiva
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Top 10 Users in mount level

Hi Members, I'm new to unix. Could you help me in solving my issue. My requirement is I need to pull Top 15 users in every mount. I could able to get the mount level information but I couldn't able to pull the top users in every mount. I see in every mount I could see a lot of nested... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: UBEE
3 Replies
rwho(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   rwho(1)

NAME
rwho - show who is logged in on local machines SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
produces output similar to the output of the HP-UX command for all machines on the local network that are running the daemon (see who(1) and rwhod(1M)). If has not received a report from a machine for 11 minutes, assumes the machine is down and does not report users last known to be logged into that machine. output line has fields for the name of the user, the name of the machine, the user's terminal line, the time the user logged in, and the amount of time the user has been idle. Idle time is shown as: If a user has not typed to the system for a minute or more, reports this as idle time. If a user has not typed to the system for an hour or more, the user is omitted from output unless the flag is given. An example output line from would look similar to: This output line could be interpreted as is logged into and his terminal line is has been logged on since September 12 at 13:28 (1:28 p.m.). has not typed anything into for 11 minutes. WARNINGS
output becomes unwieldy when the number of users for each machine on the local network running becomes large. One line of output occurs for each user on each machine on the local network that is running AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley. FILES
Information about other machines. SEE ALSO
ruptime(1), rusers(1), rwhod(1M). rwho(1)