Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sed or Awk for lines between two strings multiple times and keep the last one Post 302596170 by chihung on Monday 6th of February 2012 07:27:11 PM
Old 02-06-2012
Code:
awk '
BEGIN {
  RS=""
  FS="\n"
}
$1=="Standard" && /Visual/ {
  s=$2
  for  (i=3 ; i<=NF ; ++i ) {
    if ( $i=="Visual" ) { break }
    s=sprintf("%s\n%s",s,$i)
  }
}
END {
  print s
}'

This User Gave Thanks to chihung For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/awk to insert multiple lines before pattern

I'm attempting to insert multiple lines before a line matching a given search pattern. These lines are generated in a separate function and can either be piped in as stdout or read from a temporary file. I've been able to insert the lines from a file after the pattern using: sed -i '/pattern/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zksailor534
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

best method of replacing multiple strings in multiple files - sed or awk? most simple preferred :)

Hi guys, say I have a few files in a directory (58 text files or somthing) each one contains mulitple strings that I wish to replace with other strings so in these 58 files I'm looking for say the following strings: JAM (replace with BUTTER) BREAD (replace with CRACKER) SCOOP (replace... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: rich@ardz
19 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Duplicate lines multiple times based on a calculated value

Hi, I'm trying to create an XML sitemap of our dynamic ecommerce sites SEO Friendly URLs and am trying to create the initial page listing. I have a CSV file that looks like the following and need duplicate the lines based on a value which needs calculating. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamesfx
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

CSV to SQL insert: Awk for strings with multiple lines in csv

Hi Fellows, I have been struggling to fix an issue in csv records to compose sql statements and have been really losing sleep over it. Here is the problem: I have csv files in the following pipe-delimited format: Column1|Column2|Column3|Column4|NEWLINE Address Type|some descriptive... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: khayal
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk? extract quoted "" strings from multiple lines.

I am trying to extract multiple strings from snmp-mib files like below. ----- $ cat IF-MIB.mib <snip> linkDown NOTIFICATION-TYPE OBJECTS { ifIndex, ifAdminStatus, ifOperStatus } STATUS current DESCRIPTION "A linkDown trap signifies that the SNMP entity, acting in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: genzo
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines between two strings multiple occurencies (with sed, awk, or grep)

Hello, I can extract lines in a file, between two strings but only one time. If there are multiple occurencies, my command show only one block. Example, monfichier.txt contains : debut_sect texte L1 texte L2 texte L3 texte L4 fin_sect donnees inutiles 1 donnees inutiles 2 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: theclem35
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to find lines containing word that occur multiple times

i have a script that scans a log file every 10 minutes. this script remembers the last line of the log and then uses it to continue monitoring the log when it runs again 10 minutes later. the script searches the log for a string called MaxClients. now, how can i make it so that when the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk/sed : help on:Filtering multiple lines to one:

Experts Good day, I want to filter multiple lines of same error of same day , to only 1 error of each day, the first line from the log. Here is the file: May 26 11:29:19 cmihpx02 vmunix: NFS write failed for server cmiauxe1: error 5 (RPC: Timed out) May 26 11:29:19 cmihpx02 vmunix: NFS... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed/awk/perl substitution with multiple lines

OSX I have been grinding my teeth on a portion of code. I am building a bash script that edits a html email template. In the template, I have place holders for SED (or whatever program is appropriate) to use as anchors for find and replace, with user defined corresponding html code. The HTML code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudo
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to find=grep or maybe sed/awk for multiple lines of text?

Hi, I am running the following: PASS="username/password" sqlplus -s << EOF | grep -v "^$" $PASS set feedback off set heading off set termout off select name from v\$database ; exit EOF Which gives ERROR: ORA-28002: the password will expire within 5 days PSMP1 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWgawk | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Volatile | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for gawk is available on http://opensolaris.org. Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)