Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Ascii vs Pcap tracing
Top Forums Programming Ascii vs Pcap tracing Post 302595880 by Corona688 on Sunday 5th of February 2012 05:09:21 PM
Old 02-05-2012
If you're asking whether it's better to save network dumps in ASCII format or a binary format, which is "better" -- as always -- depends entirely on what you want to do with it.

You can't grep a binary file, but text files take more space, and might not be able to be loaded back into wireshark or what have you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Compiling Pcap.c

I don't know if this is the correct forum to post this but hopefully someone can atleast point me in the right direction if they can't help me. I am trying to install the Net::Pcap module for perl from Tim Potter version .04. I have installed gcc 2.95.3 on my Solaris 8 box. I am sure it's just... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TioTony
6 Replies

2. Programming

pcap.h

I cant use pcap.h include file. How can I do so? :confused: (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pervez Sajjad
8 Replies

3. Programming

Filtering paquets with pcap.h

Hello everybody!! I am currently doing my intership and I need some tips for Pcap.h. I search some tips tp filter my paquets in a C program with the Pcap.h librairy. The onlys thing I have found is thaht I can filter low level protocol with their name like (tcp/udp..). But for the higher... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: danathane
3 Replies

4. Programming

Pcap.h Sniffing

Can someone please help me figure out how to use pcap.h to sniff packets between only 2 computers whose mac addresses are know? Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: papabearcares
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pcap.h Sniffing

Can someone please help me figure out how to use pcap.h to sniff packets between only 2 computers whose mac addresses are know? Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: papabearcares
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filtering pcap files

Hi, I am new at UNIX and programing in general and only have a basic knowledge of C++. I am helping out with some research at a college and was given the task to sort through captured packets via IP addresses. I was wondering if anyone could help me with writing a code which filters through pcap... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hershey101
1 Replies

7. Programming

searching through pcap files

Hi, I am new at UNIX and programing in general and only have a basic knowledge of C++. I am helping out with some research at a college and was given the task to sort through captured packets via IP addresses. I was wondering if anyone could help me with writing a code which filters through pcap... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hershey101
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert ascii values into ascii characters

Hi gurus, I have a file in unix with ascii values. I need to convert all the ascii values in the file to ascii characters. File contains nearly 20000 records with ascii values. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeeppvk
10 Replies

9. Programming

PCAP -> PFRING

Hi I have a program that captures packets with the libpcap library by calling the pcap-functions, e.g. pcap_next(...). I would like to use PF_RING for the program and therefore I would have to adjust the calling functions to pfring_open(...) pfring_recv(...) I'm pretty knew in network... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Freaky123
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Hex to Ascii in a Ascii file

Hi All, I have an ascii file in which few columns are having hex values which i need to convert into ascii. Kindly suggest me what command can be used in unix shell scripting? Thanks in Advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HemaV
2 Replies
RAXML(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RAXML(1)

NAME
raxml - convert argus(8) data to XML. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2000-2003 QoSient. All rights reserved. SYNOPSIS
raxml [ra-options] -e (Ascii | Encode64) [ expression ] DESCRIPTION
Raxml reads argus(8) data from an argus data source, and converts the contents to XML format, printing its output to stdout. Like all ra based clients, raxml supports a large number of options, configuration through .rarc files, and input filtering using the terminating fil- ter expression. See the ra(1) man page for details on ra-options and expression syntax. See the ArgusRecord.dtd file for specifics regarding the XML output schema. RAXML SPECIFIC OPTIONS
-e Specify data encoding scheme. Supported options are Ascii and Encode64. AUTHORS
Carter Bullard (carter@qosient.com). SEE ALSO
ra(1), rarc(5), argus(8), ArgusRecord.xml, ArgusRecord.dtd, ArgusRecord.sox 07 November 2000 RAXML(1)