Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers awk display the match and 2 lines after the match is found. Post 302595403 by mirni on Friday 3rd of February 2012 04:21:56 AM
Old 02-03-2012
Please use code tags when posting i/output or code.
Your awk command is almost correct, you were really close, just add print:
Code:
awk 'c-->3;/Error/{c=5; print}'

Or, with getline and no variable:
Code:
awk '/Error/{print; getline; print; getline; print}'

Or, with getline reading into a variable instead of $0:
Code:
awk '/Error/{getline a; getline b; print $0,a,b }' OFS="\n" err.log

If the match is on the very end of file, solution 2 will print duplicates, and solution 3 will print empty lines. To treat this, you could check for the return value of getline.

Last edited by mirni; 02-03-2012 at 05:26 AM.. Reason: eof treatment

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep and display n lines after the match is found.

Hello, How do I use grep to find a pattern in a list of file and then display 5 lines after the pattern is matched Eg: I want to match the string GetPresentCode in all files in a folder and then see 4 lines following this match. I am not sure if grep is what should be used to achieve. Thanks!... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cv_pan
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display n lines before match found

I have a file with following data A B C D E F G H I K L M N and search pattern is G Expected output (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsuresh316
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display n lines after match found and other line

I have a file like this DoctorName Address1 Address2 DOB InsuredName Address1 Address2 DOB PatientName Address1 Address2 DOB ClaimNo1 DoctorName Address1 Address2 DOB InsuredName (2 Replies)
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display lines after match is found within specified range

I have a file which has collection of segments occuring n(For eg.100) times ISA GS ST NM1*85 N3 N4 NM1*IL N3 N4 REF*D9*1001 ISE GE SE ISA GS ST NM1*85 N3 (13 Replies)
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Help -- If match found return the count

Hi All, I need to get the count of records in the file, if the passing parameter matches with the list of records in the file. Below is my example source file: Test1.dat 20120913 20120913 20120912 20120912 20120912 20120912 20120912 20120913 20120913 20120912 In my script I am... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbc17484
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep multiple exact match, do not display lines

Hi, Need help to grep the following from a file x. I just want to grep exact match not lines and not partial word. CONFSUCCESS CONFFAIL CONFPARTIALSUCCESS >cat x xczxczxczc zczczcxx CONFSUCCESS czczczcczc czxxczxzxczcczc CONFFAIL xczxczcxcczczc zczczczcz CONFPARTIALSUCCESS czczxcxzc ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshwebspere
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk - (URGENT!) Print lines sort and move lines if match found

URGENT HELP IS NEEDED!! I am looking to move matching lines (01 - 07) from File1 and 77 tab the matching string from File2, to File3.txt. I am almost done but - Currently, script is not printing lines to File3.txt in order. - Also the matching lines are not moving out of File1.txt ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: High-T
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match the value & print lines from the match

Hello, I have a file contains two columns. I need to print the lines after “xxx” so i'm trying to match "xxx" & cut the lines after that. I'm trying with the grep & cut command, if there any simple way to extract this please help me. Sample file : name id AAA 123 AAB 124 AAC 125... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shenbaga.d
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display match or no match and write a text file to a directory

The below bash connects to a site, downloads a file, searches that file based of user input - could be multiple (all that seems to work). What I am not able to figure out is how to display on the screen match found or no match found" and write a file to a directory (C:\Users\cmccabe\Desktop\wget)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to calculate fields only if match is found

Trying to combine the matching $5 values between file1 and file2. If a match is found then the last $6 value in the match and the sum of $7 are outputted to a new file. The awk below I hope is a good start. Thank you :). file1 chr12 9221325 9221448 chr12:9221325-9221448 A2M 1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies
GETLINE(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							GETLINE(3)

NAME
getline, getdelim - delimited string input SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> ssize_t getline(char **lineptr, size_t *n, FILE *stream); ssize_t getdelim(char **lineptr, size_t *n, int delim, FILE *stream); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): Before glibc 2.10: getline(), getdelim(): _GNU_SOURCE Since glibc 2.10: getline(), getdelim(): _POSIX_C_SOURCE >= 200809L || _XOPEN_SOURCE >= 700 DESCRIPTION
getline() reads an entire line from stream, storing the address of the buffer containing the text into *lineptr. The buffer is null-termi- nated and includes the newline character, if one was found. If *lineptr is NULL, then getline() will allocate a buffer for storing the line, which should be freed by the user program. (In this case, the value in *n is ignored.) Alternatively, before calling getline(), *lineptr can contain a pointer to a malloc(3)-allocated buffer *n bytes in size. If the buffer is not large enough to hold the line, getline() resizes it with realloc(3), updating *lineptr and *n as necessary. In either case, on a successful call, *lineptr and *n will be updated to reflect the buffer address and allocated size respectively. getdelim() works like getline(), except a line delimiter other than newline can be specified as the delimiter argument. As with getline(), a delimiter character is not added if one was not present in the input before end of file was reached. RETURN VALUE
On success, getline() and getdelim() return the number of characters read, including the delimiter character, but not including the termi- nating null byte. This value can be used to handle embedded null bytes in the line read. Both functions return -1 on failure to read a line (including end-of-file condition). ERRORS
EINVAL Bad arguments (n or lineptr is NULL, or stream is not valid). VERSIONS
These functions are available since libc 4.6.27. CONFORMING TO
Both getline() and getdelim() were originally GNU extensions. They were standardized in POSIX.1-2008. EXAMPLE
#define _GNU_SOURCE #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> int main(void) { FILE *fp; char *line = NULL; size_t len = 0; ssize_t read; fp = fopen("/etc/motd", "r"); if (fp == NULL) exit(EXIT_FAILURE); while ((read = getline(&line, &len, fp)) != -1) { printf("Retrieved line of length %zu : ", read); printf("%s", line); } free(line); exit(EXIT_SUCCESS); } SEE ALSO
read(2), fgets(3), fopen(3), fread(3), gets(3), scanf(3), feature_test_macros(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2010-06-12 GETLINE(3)