Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Generate list of deleted files Post 302594854 by eshwaconsulting on Wednesday 1st of February 2012 11:00:02 AM
Old 02-01-2012
Generate list of deleted files

I copied all JPEGs from my laptop to an external drive using

Code:
find . -name "*.jpg" -exec cp '{}' ./media/Backup/pictures \;

And then deleted all of them from my laptop.

Now, I realize that I need the folder path of all the original JPEGs as the path has the important information.

I dont need to recover the files. Just need the full path of all the deleted files like this:

Code:
/home/mypc/project/1234/a.jpg
/home/mypc/project/1235/b.jpg
/home/mypc/project/1010/z.jpg

Is there a way to get this? I guess I will need to use some feature of a recover/undelete application without really doing the recovery but dont know how.

I have root access. I am on Ubuntu (Natty).

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Use code tags, please!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to generate a list of files

Hello people I need to find a way to generate a file that contains the names of all *.jpg files that were generated after a specific date The search should start in my current folder and recursively search inner folders It would be best to list the file names one below the other in the output... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jasongr
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to generate a random list from a given list

Dear Masters, Is there an easy way to generate a random list from a give list of names? Let's say, I have a file containing 15000 city name of world(spreadsheet, names in the first column), I would like to randomly pick up 50 cities each time for total 1000 picks. Or doesn't anyone know a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mskcc
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to generate a 'kill' list

Hi, I want to write a script which can generate a kill list for killing process, program name start with f60.., which have been running for more than 8 hours, the list output should looks like: kill -9 4444176 kill -9 4674520 kill -9 4454180 kill -9 4994523 Can anyone help how to write... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: victorcheung
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script Create List of Deleted Files

Hi, I want to put all the deleted files in a txt file. Because i want to backup my image server which has thousands of jpg images. I wrote a shell script which will copies images from image server to backup image server. I setup a cronjob which runs on every five minutes. & through timestamp it... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirfan
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to generate a list of number

How can I generate a list of numbers and place all of these numbers in a line-by-line into a file. I am new to scripting actually. 0501000000 to 0509999999 i.e. 0501000000 0501000001 ...... 0509999999 set 02 0551000000 to 0559999999 i.e. 0551000000 0551000001 ...... 0559999999 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: noo
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to generate the list?

Reference post, https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/131307-incrementing-twist-please-help.html , I can generate a word list easily, by echo or for loop. For example, with the echo command and word expect, I can list all 6 letters possibility (6X6X6X6X6X6=46656) echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdcwayx
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate a change list of files/dir

Is there a tool that can diff a directory and generate a change list of files in that directory based on a previous snapshot on the directory? For example /etc/a.txt:changed /etc/b.txt:removed /etc/c.txt:added Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: overmindxp
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate list of letters

Heyas I want to list passed arguments and make an incrementing 'marker'. That 'marker' should be a letter between a-z, in proper order. I'm not aware of a seq pendant, so i tried it with this: C=141 list="" while ];do printf \\$C list+=" \\$C" C=$((C+1)) done echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to list deleted files in UNIX?

Hi All, Its an interview question. I just want to know the answer of below question. 1) How to list deleted files in unix (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: pspriyanka
13 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

List Files being deleted in a shell script

Good evening, i need your help please I've got a file script thet deletes about half millions of files, and i want those files to be printed in a log file as an evidence those files were removed. #/bin/sh rm "/home/e-smith/files/users/bill/Maildir/cur/1392373930.28512.comp01:2,S" rm... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
6 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)