Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat DHCP & DNS - Clients get IP but don't register in DNS Post 302594548 by bitlord on Tuesday 31st of January 2012 02:40:40 PM
Old 01-31-2012
You could also use a network device to serve up your DNS as well. Anther thing are you using a domain or workgroup?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

DHCP, DNS and LDAP

I have just started learning Unix on Solaris and have been asked to learn DHCP, DNS and LDAP very quick in order to implement them and maintain. Does anyone know how to do this or a decent book that will include all the above three which tells you how to install and maintain. All i have found so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ollyparkhouse
2 Replies

2. IP Networking

Solaris DHCP and DNS

I have managed to setup my Solaris box to receive an IP number from a DHCP server. In addition, I can ping and telnet between my dhcp server and my solaris box using the IP number. However, I can't resolve addresses by name from my solaris box. In my nsswitch.conf file I have: hosts: dns ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: marist89
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DHCP update DNS ?

Hi all, I'm in the dark about this. I have setup a dhcp server and a DNS server. I'm confuss as to how to have DNS auto update any new clinet that the dhcp has given an ip address for. Can this be done. I think that I'm missing something in the configuration of DHCP. I was told that when a DHCPD... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: larry
3 Replies

4. IP Networking

DHCP and DNS

I asked a similar type question in the solaris forum but i think this relates closer to networking. I am trying to setup a small NIS environment that is contained within a large company network. The client machines are getting an IP from the companys' Windows DHCP server. The NIS server has a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: meyersp
3 Replies

5. Solaris

DHCP DNS Config

I'm running Solaris 9 and I need my box to request it's DNS servers off a DHCP server - can I do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jdogg
1 Replies

6. IP Networking

Multihomed DNS Clients?

I'm not sure it that's the right term for what I'm asking about, but it's the best I could come up with. Here is my situation... I'm setting up a network using OpenVPN. The clients I'm setting up will need to be able to access their own DNS servers (to resolve internal names at their location)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
4 Replies

7. IP Networking

configuring dns and dhcp

hello i am running my sipx server in 192.168.2.14 i would like to configure domain name and host name for this ..... can anyone tell me how to configure dns server and dhcp server so that any body both outside and inside the lan could access the sipx server by their host.domain.com name (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudeepiit
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DNS & DHCP configuration

Hi to all. Sorry for my bad english. For pure self-educational, not professional, purposes, I am studying how to configure a server with several services operating on it. For my experiment I'm using VirtualBox 3.1.4 on a WinXP host with 3 FreeBSD guests; one acts as a DHCP + DNS server; the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: marboxer
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

dnsmasq for dhcp to setup dns

Is dnsmasq important for dhcp to setup dns? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
3 Replies

10. IP Networking

DHCP and DNS on a home network

Let's say I have a home network containing a server that acts as the resident gateway and serves dhcp and dns requests. Laptop A is frequently connected and disconnected from the network as it is used as a travel computer. Is there a secure way to make sure that whenever laptop A is connected to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zygomorph
3 Replies
smb(4)								   File Formats 							    smb(4)

NAME
smb - configuration properties for Solaris CIFS server DESCRIPTION
Behavior of the Solaris CIFS server is defined by property values that are stored in the Service Management Facility, smf(5). An authorized user can use the sharectl(1M) command to set global values for these properties in SMF. The following list describes the properties: ads_site Specifies the site configured in DNS to look up Active Directory information. An Active Directory site is the local Active Directory NT domain name that has a different subnet controlling the Active Directory server. The value should not be set if you do not have a local Active Directory site or if the same subnet is used by the local Active Direc- tory NT domain. By default, no value is set. autohome_map Specifies the full path for the autohome map file, smb_autohome.map. The default path is /etc. ddns_enable Enables or disables dynamic DNS updates. A value of true enables dynamic updates, while a value of false disables dynamic updates. By default, the value is false. keep_alive Specifies the number of seconds before an idle SMB connection is dropped by the Solaris CIFS server. If set to 0, idle connections are not dropped. Valid values are 0 and from 20 seconds and above. The default value is 5400 seconds. lmauth_level Specifies the LAN Manager (LM) authentication level. The LM compatibility level controls the type of user authentication to use in workgroup mode or domain mode. The default value is 3. The following describes the behavior at each level. 2 In Windows workgroup mode, the Solaris CIFS server accepts LM, NTLM, LMv2, and NTLMv2 responses. In NT domain mode, the SMB redirector on the Solaris CIFS server sends NTLM responses. 3 In Windows workgroup mode, the Solaris CIFS server accepts LM, NTLM, LMv2, and NTLMv2 responses. In NT domain mode, the SMB redirector on the Solaris CIFS server sends LMv2 and NTLMv2 responses. 4 In Windows workgroup mode, the Solaris CIFS server accepts NTLM, LMv2, and NTLMv2 responses. In NT domain mode, the SMB redirector on the Solaris CIFS server sends LMv2 and NTLMv2 responses. 5 In Windows workgroup mode, the Solaris CIFS server accepts LMv2 and NTLMv2 responses. In NT domain mode, the SMB redirec- tor on the Solaris CIFS server sends LMv2 and NTLMv2 responses. netbios_scope Specifies the NetBIOS scope identifier, which identifies logical NetBIOS networks that are on the same physical network. When you spec- ify a NetBIOS scope identifier, the server is only able to communicate with other systems that have the same scope defined. The value is a text string that represents a domain name and is limited to 16 characters. By default, no value is set. Most environments do not require the use of the NetBIOS scope feature. If you must use this feature, ensure that you track the scope identifier assigned to each node. oplock_enable Enables or disables opportunistic lock (oplock) support on the Solaris CIFS server. A Solaris CIFS server grants an oplock to a client process so that the client can cache data for while the lock is in place. When the server revokes the oplock, the client flushes its cached data to the server. A value of true enables oplock support, while a value of false disables oplock support. The default value is true. Oplocks can typically be left enabled to obtain the performance benefits of client-side caching. In some circumstances, such as with some database applications, the application vendor might recommend that client-side caching be disabled to ensure that transactions are always committed immediately to the server. pdc Specifies the preferred IP address for the domain controller. This property is sometimes used when there are multiple domain con- trollers to indicate which one is preferred. If the specified domain controller responds, it is chosen even if the other domain con- trollers are also available. By default, no value is set. restrict_anonymous Disables anonymous access to IPC$, which requires that the client be authenticated to get access to MS-RPC services through IPC$. A value of true enables anonymous access to IPC$, while a value of false disables this anonymous access. The default value is false. system_comment Specifies an optional description for the system, which is a text string. This property value might appear in various places, such as Network Neighborhood or Network Places on Windows clients. By default, no value is set. wins_exclude Specifies a comma-separated list of network interfaces that should not be registered with WINS. NetBIOS host announcements are made on excluded interfaces. wins_server_1 Specifies the IP address of the primary WINS server. By default, no value is set. wins_server_2 Specifies the IP address of the secondary WINS server. By default, no value is set. ATTRIBUTES
See the attributes(5) man page for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWsmbsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Uncommitted | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sharectl(1M), smbadm(1M), smbd(1M), smbstat(1M), attributes(5), smf(5) SunOS 5.11 17 Nov 2008 smb(4)