Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Is there anyway to grep any special characters from a file ? Post 302593508 by poga on Friday 27th of January 2012 05:58:22 AM
Old 01-27-2012
Data Is there anyway to grep any special characters from a file ?

Is there any command or shell script to grep any special character from a file ? I have a huge file containing millions of user names; the requirement is to find names containing special characters.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
for i in `cat username.txt`
do
#COMMAND to grep special character
done

Thanks in advance.
Poga

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep with Special Characters

I need to sort a file, the sort is not a alphabetical sort, it's based on a predefined order which is read from a file called fSortOrder. The format of the fSortOrder file is : STARTPATH" .... .... The file that needs to be sorted is called tmpUnsorted and contains data in the format : ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vashj
6 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

grep with special characters

Hi there I need to grep for a detail from a file. The pattern to search for involves escape sequences in it. This causes for the problem. grep "P\_SOME\_STRING\_SEARCH" filename Note, I have line like below in the file and expect it to grep. select * from my_system_param ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruparan18
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep not working - special characters??

I have a file that I am processing with a while loop from, in come cases the grep/sed command (strings record | grep “errorDetail” | sed 's&*errorDetail\(.*)\(/errorDetail\).*&\1&') works and produces the data I am after and in some it does not. I have inspected the data within the failing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gugs
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using GREP for special characters

Hi folks I am issuing the following command: grep "" * Looking for the characters \/:*?"<>|#+%& within all files in a directory, but the command fails being unhappy with pipe: ksh: 0403-057 Syntax error: `|' is not expected. How do I force the command to take the pipe | ? I guess... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveaasmith
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

locate special characters and digits using grep

Hello, i have a file called test hello1 "how" are you4 good"bye" good7bye i am trying to print all lines from test that either end with a digit or contain a double quote character anywhere on the line. i did grep -n '$' test and was able to print lines ending with digits. i also did... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hobiwhenuknowme
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED equivalent for grep -w -f with pattern having special characters

I'm looking for SED equivalent for grep -w -f. All I want is to search a list of patterns from a file. Also If the pattern doesn't match I do not want "null returned", rather I would prefer some text as place holder say "BLANK LINE" as I intend to process the output file based on line number. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: novice_man
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Grep returning partial lines due to special characters

Hey guys, I have a file with an ID which I'm using to grep out the original record from another file. Problem is I have special characters in the original file, and grep is returning only a partial record. How can I get around this? Appreciate your help! Pete (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: peteroc
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep with special Characters

Need Help For GREP I have a file say g1.txt and content of file is below REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v NoDrives /t REG_DWORD /d 4 /f , REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v NoClose /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f ,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalpasoni
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep lines having special characters

Hi, I have a file which has numerous lines and some of the lines having special characters in it. i want to grep the lines which are having special characters. say, one line looks like - %*()$#@"", | acbd antoher line looks like ***##^%! | efcg so these kind of lines are present... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbalaj16
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep exact match without period or other special characters

If I have a file like the following abc.1 abc abc_1 abc..1 abc*1 abc@1 abc def ghr def...... ddef 5466 def ed def** 123445 I`m trying to find exact words from the list abc def (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritakadm
4 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)