Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Interactive PXE Boot Menu
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Interactive PXE Boot Menu Post 302591808 by ceb on Friday 20th of January 2012 04:14:31 PM
Old 01-20-2012
Ok I see what you mean, but I still do not understand how I can prompt the user for a kickstart file path, store their input in a variable, and then reference said variable when I pass the ks= kernel commandline option. I understand how the PXE menu works, but the problem is that our menu file is growing rapidly as we add distros, and I have been asked specifically to get it down to one default entry. If there is a way to reference the user's input (other than by using a label) then this can be easily accomplished. I do not think this is possible to do at this point, however.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

PXE boot port issue

Hi,all: I want to boot an IA unix box from network, I am sure I set the DHCP and boot server, but it still failed ! It says : Client MAC Address: 00 18 FE 28 91 82 .....- PXE-E16: Valid PXE offer not received. Load of Core LAN Gb A failed: Not Found I use the nettl command to trace the UDP... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluepluto
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interactive menu

Hi ,some time ago i did an interactive menu based on eval function for navigation , one of the post remind me it. I think it could be handy for others. #!/usr/bin/ksh keyRead () { tput smso echo "Enter option." tput rmso oldstty=$(stty -g) stty -icanon -echo min 1 time 1 Answer=$(dd... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klashxx
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is PXE boot bare-metal

hi members i am reading RHEL and i am unable to under stand about PXE boot and bare metal (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wagmare
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Setting up a PXE Boot Server

I've set up a PXE boot server and I'm having a slight snag in the booting process. On the client machine, DHCP renders fine and TFTP seems to begin but then the system hangs. On the server, the error message "Client does not accept options" occurs -- which from reading online is a common message... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Colton
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interactive Array Menu

This should be simple, but i haven't done it before... KSH I am reading a file into an array and currently displaying the values to the screen. What I need to do is to display a subset of those values, likely numbered, and prompt the user to select one. When they enter the number, it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gecko2424
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

PXE diskless boot fails

Hi, I am trying to setup a server for a diskless boot of a computer class (with ubuntu) I followed the guidelines in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DisklessUbuntuHowto I have two computers: one is the server I installed and the other is my macbook on which I run a virtual machine... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: yotamhc
8 Replies

7. Solaris

custom jumpstart on x86 with DHCP/PXE goes into interactive mode

client boots fine, it gets the ip 192.168.0.10 and the bootfile. Then there is : SunOS 5.10 Version Generic_141445-09 32-bit" ... Configuring devices. Custom JumpStart Reading ZFS config: done Setting up Java. Please wait ... NOTE: Not enough memory for graphical installation. Graphical... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TomSu
4 Replies

8. Boot Loaders

PXE boot not taking the init= option

Hi Experts, I am doing PXE boot for my GNU/Linux device and pxelinux.0 loads the kernel as well as initrd images I have mentioned in the config file but it looks like it is not considering the init= option. Instead it starts the default INIT program. I wanted my customized init program to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: learn more
3 Replies

9. Solaris

PXE boot problems in Solaris 10

Hi folks, I was trying to setup Network based NFS installation with PXE. I'm using virtual box for this purpose. I have one redhat (DHCP) server and Solaris 10 (Install server - Source) and on the other one am trying to install solaris using PXE. As in, dhcp address and boot file can be fetched... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaytrendz
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

pxe boot server

Hi Hoping someone can help ove setup a pxe/dhcp boot server for auto installs on centos My server seems to be providing dhcp fine but the installation fails to progress when it reaches the pxe boot menu. I make my selection and nothing happens. I am serving the media via http from the same... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duckeggs01
3 Replies
SYSTEM-CONFIG-KICKSTART(8)				      Kickstart Configurator					SYSTEM-CONFIG-KICKSTART(8)

NAME
system-config-kickstart - graphical interface for creating kickstart files SYNOPSIS
system-config-kickstart [KSFILE] DESCRIPTION
system-config-kickstart provides a simple method of creating a kickstart file that can be used to automate the installation process on Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Fedora, and derived distributions. If given, the program will take its initial settings from the KSFILE provided on the command line. This allows editing of existing kick- start files. Currently, this program has some serious limitations. For example, it cannot work with LVM nor do advanced RAID and BTRFS configurations. These are supported by kickstart, but the graphical program does not provide a way to set them up nor manipulate them in existing kickstart files. OPTIONS
--help Print out program usage. --generate FILENAME Examine the system and create a kickstart file that more or less matches, writing the output to FILENAME. --display DISPLAY# Specify the X display to use. EXAMPLES
To run the program type: system-config-kickstart REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <http://bugzilla.redhat.com>. AUTHORS
Chris Lumens <clumens@redhat.com> Brent Fox <bfox@redhat.com> Tammy Fox <tfox@redhat.com> Linux Fri 26 June 2013 SYSTEM-CONFIG-KICKSTART(8)