Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Set internal hard drives unaccessible to imager Post 302591760 by Corona688 on Friday 20th of January 2012 12:53:06 PM
Old 01-20-2012
You can rule out a lot of internal hard disk controllers by preventing ahci.ko from loading, if that's built as a module and not built-in. This also rules out a lot of internal cdroms though.

You could try disabling your hard-drive controller in the BIOS.

If you're able to run any commands on the clonezilla disk before clonezilla starts doing things, how about chmod 000 /dev/sda* ? Might fail if clonezilla runs everything as root, but worth a shot.

You could also use a machine with no internal hard drives!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hard drives

Will some one tell me what this means. "warning: ida 0 <slot 6> : command timed out on dev 1/42 blk 4824290 logical unit=0 blocks=5512102, size 2, cmd=0x20." I'm running SCO 505 on a proliant 1600r. Thnank you in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: franruiz
3 Replies

2. Linux

No Hard Drives Have Been Found

I am using an Acer Aspire 4720Z with two partitions C and D. Windows is installed on C and I decided to install Red Hat Linux 9 in partition D. The two partitions are in NTFS file system. During my installation of the the Linux, a prompt was displayed on screen with the message: "No hard drives... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamcomng
2 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Opinions on Internal SCSI Tape Drives for FreeBSD home server?

Any recommend manufacturers for an internal SCSI tape drive in my FreeBSD 7.0 home server? Besides RAID-1, I'm not backing-up, but man, are they expensive! What makes a tape drive so darn pricy? There is no way I can afford a new drive so I'll start looking on eBay and craigslist to see if there... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aaron Van
3 Replies

4. Solaris

formating and repartitioning an external hard drives

Version: solaris 10 x86 I just got a western digital external harddrive formated with fat 32. this drive came with some setup files which is meant for windows or mac. I want to reformat and partition this drive into two ( for solaris and windows) such that the setup files will still be there... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seyiisq
2 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Help adding new hard drives

Folks; I just added 2 physical new hard drives to my SUSE server. My server is already running SUSE 10.3 version. Is there a command i can use to add the new space or even see if the system can sees them? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katkota
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to set server's ip address, router, network mask and set if it is an internal or external ip?

Hello, I need to write a program which sets server's ip address, router, network mask. Program also should set if it is an internal or external ip. Maybe someone can help me ? Any information from u is very useful :b: I stopped at .. :( #!/bin/sh A=`hostname -i` echo "server ip address is $A"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zagaruika
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Reinstall old hard drives

I have a T2000 Sun-Fire server. I have 2 sets of drives in a raid 1. Lets call them Set A and Set B. I had Set A installed and working. I needed a new install so I so build up Set B. After some time I wanted to put Set A back in the server. Now the system will not boot off of Set A. I tried to boot... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: stu1811
7 Replies

8. Hardware

Hard Drives and MBR

Hello everyone. I have a question which I may know the answer to, I'm just looking for a confirmation. When it comes to the MBR of a hard drive, i've read in multiple sources that it's always located in the first sector of the hard drive. Is the MBR there from the factory? When I buy a new blank... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lost in Cyberia
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 8 - Accessing Hard Drives

Hi, I have two SCSI Hard Drives in a Sun Solaris 8 server as shown below. I would like to access Disk1 and look at its contents, directory structure and files. How do I change my default directory from Disk 0 to Disk 1 and vice versa? Thank you. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssabet
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Understanding volumes and hard drives

Ok so i thought i was smart but i can tell I need some help. I am playing around with understanding lvm and adding disks to a linux box. I added a disk and then ran what i thought were commands to add this disk to the box but I think I messed up and would like some help. My question is did i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cptkirkh
5 Replies
XP(4)							     Kernel Interfaces Manual							     XP(4)

NAME
xp - generic SMD moving-head disk SYNOPSIS
/sys/conf/SYSTEM: NXPC xp_controllers # Number of controllers NXPD xp_drives # RM02/03/05, RP04/05/06, # CDC 9766, Fuji 160, etc. BADSECT NO # Bad sector handling (see BUGS) /etc/dtab: #Name Unit# Addr Vector Br Handler(s) # Comments xp ? 176700 254 5 xpintr # xp driver major device number(s): raw: 19 block: 10 minor device encoding: bits 0007 specify partition of XP drive bits 0370 specify XP drive DESCRIPTION
The xp driver is a generic SMD storage module disk driver. It can be adapted to most SMD controllers although bootstrapping will not nec- essarily be directly possible. The drives are numbered from 0 to n on controller 0, from n+1 to m on controller 1, etc. The drives may have different geometries. The xp driver is unique amoungst 2BSD drivers in its numbering of drives. Other drivers (ra for example) number drives 0 thru 7 on con- troller 1, 8 thru 15 on controller 2 and so on. xp on the other hand can have drives 0 and 1 on controller 1, drives 2, 3, 4 and 5 on con- troller 2 and drives 6, 7 and 8 on controller 3. This is different from boot's view of the world, so if you are booting from other than unit 0 you may have to experiment a bit. Files with minor device numbers 0 through 7 refer to various portions of drive 0; minor devices 8 through 15 refer to drive 1, etc. The standard device names begin with ``xp'' followed by the drive number and then a letter a-h for partitions 0-7 respectively. The character ? stands here for a drive number in the range 0-7. The block files access the disk via the system's normal buffering mechanism and may be read and written without regard to physical disk records. There is also a `raw' interface which provides for direct transmission between the disk and the user's read or write buffer. A single read or write call results in exactly one I/O operation and therefore raw I/O is considerably more efficient when many words are transmitted. The names of the raw files conventionally begin with an extra `r.' In raw I/O the buffer must begin on a word (even) boundary, and counts should be a multiple of 512 bytes (a disk sector). Likewise lseek calls should specify a multiple of 512 bytes. DISK SUPPORT
Disks must be labeled using either the standalone disklabel program on the boot tape or with the disklabel(8) program. The kernel no longer attempts to determine the drive type and geometry, instead reading this information from the disklabel. There are no partition tables coded into the xp driver, these must be placed on the drive with disklabel. Special files should only be created for the partitions that are actually used, as the overlap in these addresses could lead to confusion otherwise. Traditionally the xp?a partition is normally used for the root file system, the xp?b partition as a swap area, and the xp?c partition for pack-pack copying (it maps the entire disk). FILES
/dev/xp[0-7][a-h] block files /dev/rxp[0-7][a-h] raw files /dev/MAKEDEV script to create special files /dev/MAKEDEV.local script to localize special files SEE ALSO
hk(4), ra(4), ram(4), rk(4), rl(4), rp(4), rx(4), si(4), dtab(5), autoconfig(8), newfs(8) DIAGNOSTICS
xp%d%c: hard error sn%d cs2=%b er1=%b. An unrecoverable error occurred during transfer of the specified sector of the specified disk par- tition. The contents of the two error registers are also printed in octal and symbolically with bits decoded. The error was either unre- coverable, or a large number of retry attempts (including offset positioning and drive recalibration) could not recover the error. xp%d: write locked. The write protect switch was set on the drive when a write was attempted. The write operation is not recoverable. xp%d%c: soft ecc sn%d. A recoverable ECC error occurred on the specified sector of the specified disk partition. This happens normally a few times a week. If it happens more frequently than this the sectors where the errors are occurring should be checked to see if certain cylinders on the pack, spots on the carriage of the drive or heads are indicated. xp%d: unknown device type 0%o. The number in the drive's drive type register is unknown to the xp driver. BUGS
In raw I/O read and write(2) truncate file offsets to 512-byte block boundaries, and write scribbles on the tail of incomplete blocks. Thus, in programs that are likely to access raw devices, read, write and lseek(2) should always deal in 512-byte multiples. DEC-standard error logging should be supported. The kernel uses partition 'h' to access the badblock information. This should have been 'c' except that almost all of the /etc/disktab entries (and thus existing systems) use 'h' for this purpose. Unless you are very careful with disklabel|(8) (to make certain that no data partition overlaps the badblock area) you should probably leave BADSECT undefined in the kernel config file. 3rd Berkeley Distribution August 14, 1995 XP(4)