Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using ii for irc chat - scripting assistance? Post 302591526 by spartan2006 on Thursday 19th of January 2012 06:45:24 PM
Old 01-19-2012
Really at this point (in reference to how ii works), I just need ways to manipulate log files.

There's an in and out file for each server / channel / person, separated by folders for each. So what I need to do is take the file

~/irc/servername/channelname/out

and monitor for the trigger word(s).

I then need to take that entire line of text and hopefully put it in a variable.

I then need to have the following sent to ~/irc/servername/in

/privmsg my_nickname [stored string of data from above]

Does that kind of clear things up a little, as far as how ii works and what I'm attempting to do?

My ultimate goal is to be able to start the file/bash script and be able to close out of the ssh session to the pogoplug while keeping this running so I can leave it idling as a bot in the room.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting neophyte needs file manipulation assistance

I need to write two shell scripts for an rsync backup solution. The first script will copy all backed up files into a folder named after the original folder, plus a date stamp (so e.g. if the original folder name is 'foo' and is backed up on the 10th of September, then the backup folder will be... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: LambdaCalculus
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assistance in Perl scripting

PFA file "color.txt". Note : There is no newline character in the file. I have manually inserted the newline char to make it easy to understand. I am expecting out in the form as specified in second file "out.txt" I need a perl script to perform the task. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deo_kaustubh
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed newbie scripting assistance

Howdy folks, I'm trying to craft a log file summarisation tool for an application that creates a lot of duplicate entries with only a different suffix to indicate point of execution. I thought I'd gotten close but I'm clearly missing something. Here's a genericized version: A text_file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mthespian
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dhcp.config file scripting assistance

Hello everyone! I am brand new at this forum thing and wanted to thank all of you for your time and help in advance for helping me troubleshoot my issue. I am fairly new to shell scripting and scoured the entire internet to find a solution for my issue to no avail and hope you're able to help. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sedrocks
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Noob to scripting needs some assistance

Hello, I am in a Unix class and have been out of town. I have been tasked to generate a couple of scripts and ahve never done it before. I have a virtual machine running Ubuntu. The task is below Prompt the system administrator for all valid input parameters Generate a menu to ask which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jkeeton81
1 Replies
irc(n)							    Low Level Tcl IRC Interface 						    irc(n)

NAME
irc - Create IRC connection and interface. SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl package require irc ?0.2? ::irc::connection hostname ::irc::config key value net registerevent event script net connect net user username localhostname userinfo net nick nick net ping net join channel net part channel net privmsg target message net send text who ?address? action target ?index? msg DESCRIPTION
This package provides low-level commands to deal with the IRC protocol (Internet Relay Chat) for immediate and interactive multi-cast com- munication. ::irc::connection hostname The command creates a new object to deal with an IRC connection. Creating this IRC object does not automatically create the network connection. It returns a new irc namespace command which can be used to interact with the new IRC connection. ::irc::config key value Sets configuration key to value. Currently, the only config key defined is the boolean flag debug which, when turned on, makes irc print more information about what is going on. Per-connection Commands In the following list of available connection methods net represents a connection command as returned by ::irc::connection. net registerevent event script Registers a callback handler for the specific event. Events available are those described in the IRC RFC: 1459. In addition, there are several other events defined. defaultcommand adds a command that is called if no other callback is present. EOF is called if the connection signals an End of File condition. script is executed in the connection namespace, which can take advantage of sev- eral commands (see Callback Commands below) to aid in the parsing of data. net connect This causes the socket to be established. ::irc::connection created the namespace and the commands to be used, but did not actually open the socket. This is done here. net user username localhostname userinfo Sends USER command to server. username is the username you want to appear. localhostname is the name of your server, and userinfo is a short description of who you are. net nick nick NICK command. nick is the nickname you wish to use for the particular connection. net ping PING the IRC server. net join channel channel is the IRC channel to join. IRC channels typically begin with a hashmark ("#"). net part channel Makes the client leave channel. net privmsg target message Sends message to target, which can be either a channel, or another user, in which case their nick is used. net send text Sends text to the IRC server. Callback Commands These commands can be used within callbacks who ?address? Returns the nick of the user who performed a command. The optional address keyword causes the command to return the user in the format "username@address". action Returns the action perfomed, such as KICK, PRIVMSG, MODE, etc... Normally not useful, as callbacks are bound to a particular event. target ?index? Returns the target of a particular command, such as the channel or user to whom a PRIVMSG is sent. In the case of multiple targets, the optional index argument may be used to specify which one to return. The default is 0. msg Returns the message portion of the command (the part after the :). SEE ALSO
rfc 1459 KEYWORDS
irc, chat irc 0.2 irc(n)