Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers is there a command to see when the last time a user has been online if they arent? Post 302590512 by pandeesh on Monday 16th of January 2012 01:59:10 PM
Old 01-16-2012
If you really wants to use grep , then try this:
Code:
last -w|grep $1

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

checking the heartbeat of the online user

hello, Can anyone please tell me how can i check the availability of the online user in a client-server environtment. This is for a program where lakhs of client are connected to the server and the server has to check the availability of the every client in every minute. So polling every client... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shushilmore
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Online user list script

I decided to delete the first post since it was againt the forum rules (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Necrologist
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

time duration of being online of a particular user given the user name

in a multi user system of 3 users X,Y,Z, if i know that X is presently online, is it possible to determine for how long has he been online? i mean the time duration (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

History of all the users in single file with command , date . time , ip and user

HTML Code archive_history() { HISTORYOLD=${HISTFILE}.archive CURTIME=`date` CURTTY=`tty` IP=$(echo $SSH_CLIENT | awk '{print $1}') if ; then echo "#-${HOSTNAME}-- ${CURBASHDATE} - ${CURTIME} ($CURTTY) ${USER} ${IP}----" >> $HISTORYOLD history... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rehantayyab82
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

History of all the users in single file with command , date . time , ip and user

HTML Code: archive_history() { HISTORYOLD=${HISTFILE}.archive CURTIME=`date` CURTTY=`tty` IP=$(echo $SSH_CLIENT | awk '{print $1}') if ; then echo "#-${HOSTNAME}-- ${CURBASHDATE} - ${CURTIME} ($CURTTY) ${USER} ${IP}----" >> $HISTORYOLD history... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rehantayyab82
0 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep is used to invoke the grep on compress'ed or gzip'ed files. All options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is speci- fied, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If zgrep is invoked as zegrep or zfgrep then egrep or fgrep is used instead of grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. For example: for sh: GREP=fgrep zgrep string files for csh: (setenv GREP fgrep; zgrep string files) AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), zdiff(1), zmore(1), znew(1), zforce(1), gzip(1), gzexe(1) ZGREP(1)