Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Viewing changes in directory
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Answers to Frequently Asked Questions Tips and Tutorials Viewing changes in directory Post 302590004 by vbe on Friday 13th of January 2012 11:27:53 AM
Old 01-13-2012
Nice little script, thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Viewing files in a directory?

How do I view files in a directory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ania
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

viewing tables

I have completely blanked out on this and I have done it a million times. I need to modify some tables in unix. What is the command for opening/viewing the tables? Thanks so much. :o (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itldp
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pdf viewing

How do I view pdf files on a Solaris 9 environment? Links and such would be grateful. "AAAAHHH!! They're everywhere!!!" - Halo Grunt (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: antalexi
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Viewing files

I have a file (called CORE) that is a dump created by a crashing process. This file, I believe, is in "binary" form, so when I try to use cat, more, or vi on it, it has a bunch of garbage. Is there anything I can use to "read" or view this file just like I might a non-binary file? I am running... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsimpg1
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Viewing Directory Content as You Navigate Directories in UNIX

Hi, Can someone help me figure out how to view directory content while I navigate directories (without having to go to the actual directory and "ls-ing" it)? Is there some keyboard shortcut for this? For instance, it would be useful if I could see the content of a directory when I'm copying... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shelata
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bourne shell viewing files in directory

Hi, I have a program that get a directory name from the user, then the program should go through one by one of the file, asking the user whether to move it to another folder. I tried to list the time of the file one by one. But it seems like it doesn't work. The code is as follow: check() {... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mInGzaiii
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

viewing lines

Hey, I know the head and tail function is to view like the top or bottom lines for each file. But lets say I want to view the top/bottom 100 or top/bottom 1000 for a file. whats the command that I use to do this? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

HP-UX: Problem viewing directory with BDF...

Hi all, When I use BDF command on this particular server, it outputs mostly normal stuff. However, there is one directory it can't read at all. Also, it doesn't seem to exist. When I BDF my file system with a small panic script (it happens even if you use just the bdf command): As you... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: zixzix01
17 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with viewing the Log files

I have a file name as logfiles_tar.tgz. How can I view the contents of the log files present in logfiles_tar.tgz ? Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Viewing file size in current directory

What is the command line for viewing the sizes(lines and bytes)of all the files in your present working directory? Is it >ls -la (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Payton2704
2 Replies
rmdir(2)							System Calls Manual							  rmdir(2)

NAME
rmdir() - remove a directory file SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The system call removes a directory file whose name is given by path. The directory must be empty (except for the files and before it can be removed. RETURN VALUE
returns the following values: Successful completion. Failure. is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
If fails, is set to one of the following values. [EACCES] A component of the path prefix denies search permission. [EACCES] Write permission is denied on the directory containing the link to be removed. [EACCES] The process does not have read/write access permission to the parent directory. [EBUSY] The directory to be removed is the mount point for a mounted file system. [EBUSY] The path is the current working directory. [EEXIST] The named directory is not empty. It contains files other than and [EFAULT] path points outside the process's allocated address space. The reliable detection of this error is implementation- dependent. [ELOOP] Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating the path name. [ENAMETOOLONG] The length of the specified path name exceeds bytes, or the length of a component of the path name exceeds bytes while is in effect. [ENOENT] The named file does not exist. [ENOTDIR] A component of the path is not a directory. [EPERM] The directory containing the directory to be removed has the sticky bit set and neither the containing directory nor the directory to be removed are owned by the effective user ID. [EROFS] The directory entry to be removed resides on a read-only file system. AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley and HP. SEE ALSO
mkdir(2), unlink(2), remove(3C), privileges(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
rmdir(2)