Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users merge two column multiple files into one Post 302589387 by binlib on Wednesday 11th of January 2012 12:59:18 PM
Old 01-11-2012
Options to join used here are:
-t$'\t' use tab as input and output field separator
-a1 -a2 include unmatched lines from the first and second file
-e- use a "-" for missing fields
-j1 use the first field as key in joining
-o0,1.2,2.2 output line consists of the join field (0), second field of the first file (1.2), second field of the second file (2.2)
I wish Unix has a built in command to do the task of agg.awk.
Let me know how the code performs (time wise).
This User Gave Thanks to binlib For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge Two Files based on First column

Hi, I need to join two files based on first column of both files.If first column of first file matches with the first column of second file, then the lines should be merged together and go for next line to check. It is something like: File one: 110001 abc efd 110002 fgh dfg 110003 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: apjneeraj
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing a loop to merge multiple files by common column

I have 100 data files labelled 250.1.txt through 250.100.txt. The second column of the data files partially match (there is about %90 overlap). Each data file has 4 columns. I want the merge all these text files by the matching values in the second column. In the output, the first column should... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge two files with similar column entries

Hi , I have few files which contains user name and data transfer rate in MBs and this data is collected for year and for each month report is saved in 12 different files I have to merge all the files to prepare the final report Files are as below Similarly I have 10 more files ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pratapsingh
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to merge multiple rows into single row if first column matches ?

Hi, Can anyone suggest quick way to get desired output? Sample input file content: A 12 9 A -0.3 2.3 B 1.0 -4 C 34 1000 C -111 900 C 99 0.09 Output required: A 12 9 -0.3 2.3 B 1.0 -4 C 34 1000 -111 900 99 0.09 Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbm_000
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge two columns from two files into one if another column matches

I have two text files that look something like this: A:B:C 123 D:E:F 234 G:H:I 345 J:K:L 123 M:N:O 456 P:Q:R 567 A:B:C 456 D:E:F 567 G:H:I 678 J:K:L 456 M:N:O 789 P:Q:R 890 I want to find the line where the first column matches and then combine the second columns into a single... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbluescript
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I merge multiple columns into one column?

Hi all, I'm looking for a way to merge multiple columns (from one file) into a single column in an output file. The file I have looks somewhat like this: @HWI-ST212 1:N:0 AGTCCTACCGGGAGT + @@@DDDDDHHHHHII @HWI-ST212 1:N:0 CGTTTAAAAATTTCT + @;@B;DDDDH?:F;F... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vnguyen
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge files based on the column value

Hi Friends, I have a file file1.txt 1|ABC|3|jul|dhj 2|NHU|4|kil|eu 3|hjd|34|hfd|43 file2.txt 1||3|KING|dhj 2|NHU||k| 3|hjd|34|hd|43 i want to merge file1.txt file2.txt based on the column null values in file2.txif there are any nulls in column values , (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple file merge by column

Hello all, I am quite new in linux shell scripting and I have this issue. I ve got some files including measurements taken every 10minutes for a whole day. File name format is: 00.00, 00.10, 00.20,....23.50 File structure is: x | y | temperature x and y is the same in all files (same... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: atzounis
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to merge two or more fields from two different files where there is non matching column?

Hi, Please excuse for often requesting queries and making R&D, I am trying to work out a possibility where i have two files field separated by pipe and another file containing only one field where there is no matching columns, Could you please advise how to merge two files. $more... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikram
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merge two csv files using column name

Hi all, I have two separate csv files(comma delimited) file 1 and file 2. File 1 contains PAN,NAME,Salary AAAAA5467D,Raj,50000 AAFAC5467D,Ram,60000 BDCFA5677D,Kumar,90000 File 2 contains PAN,NAME,Dept,Salary ASDFG6756T,Karthik,ABC,450000 QWERT8765Y,JAX,CDR,780000... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nivas
5 Replies
GIT-MERGE-BASE(1)						    Git Manual							 GIT-MERGE-BASE(1)

NAME
git-merge-base - Find as good common ancestors as possible for a merge SYNOPSIS
git merge-base [-a|--all] <commit> <commit>... DESCRIPTION
git merge-base finds best common ancestor(s) between two commits to use in a three-way merge. One common ancestor is better than another common ancestor if the latter is an ancestor of the former. A common ancestor that does not have any better common ancestor is a best common ancestor, i.e. a merge base. Note that there can be more than one merge base for a pair of commits. Among the two commits to compute the merge base from, one is specified by the first commit argument on the command line; the other commit is a (possibly hypothetical) commit that is a merge across all the remaining commits on the command line. As the most common special case, specifying only two commits on the command line means computing the merge base between the given two commits. As a consequence, the merge base is not necessarily contained in each of the commit arguments if more than two commits are specified. This is different from git-show-branch(1) when used with the --merge-base option. OPTIONS
-a, --all Output all merge bases for the commits, instead of just one. DISCUSSION
Given two commits A and B, git merge-base A B will output a commit which is reachable from both A and B through the parent relationship. For example, with this topology: o---o---o---B / ---o---1---o---o---o---A the merge base between A and B is 1. Given three commits A, B and C, git merge-base A B C will compute the merge base between A and a hypothetical commit M, which is a merge between B and C. For example, with this topology: o---o---o---o---C / / o---o---o---B / / ---2---1---o---o---o---A the result of git merge-base A B C is 1. This is because the equivalent topology with a merge commit M between B and C is: o---o---o---o---o / / o---o---o---o---M / / ---2---1---o---o---o---A and the result of git merge-base A M is 1. Commit 2 is also a common ancestor between A and M, but 1 is a better common ancestor, because 2 is an ancestor of 1. Hence, 2 is not a merge base. When the history involves criss-cross merges, there can be more than one best common ancestor for two commits. For example, with this topology: ---1---o---A / X / ---2---o---o---B both 1 and 2 are merge-bases of A and B. Neither one is better than the other (both are best merge bases). When the --all option is not given, it is unspecified which best one is output. AUTHOR
Written by Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org[1]> DOCUMENTATION
Documentation by David Greaves, Junio C Hamano and the git-list <git@vger.kernel.org[2]>. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite NOTES
1. torvalds@osdl.org mailto:torvalds@osdl.org 2. git@vger.kernel.org mailto:git@vger.kernel.org Git 1.7.1 07/05/2010 GIT-MERGE-BASE(1)