Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problems extracting word using SED Post 302587639 by simpletech369 on Thursday 5th of January 2012 12:14:50 PM
Old 01-05-2012
Data Problems extracting word using SED

I have a file containing strings such as:

UPDATE PS_CA_BI_FF2_TA3 SET DELETE_ME = 'Y' WHERE PROCESS_INSTANCE
BI.LAST_UPDATE_DTTM FROM PS_CA_BP_LINES LINE, PS_INTFC_BI BI WHERE
EXISTS ( SELECT 'X' FROM PS_CA_BILL_PLAN BP WHERE BP.CONTRACT_NUM
%Select(COUNTER4) SELECT COUNT(*) FROM PS_INTFC_BI WHERE INTFC_ID

I'm trying to extract all the words begining with " PS_" from the lines and only the words. The results should look like

PS_CA_BI_FF2_TA3
PS_CA_BP_LINES
PS_INTFC_BI
PS_CA_BILL_PLAN
PS_INTFC_BI

I'm using the sed command:
Code:
sed -n 's/.*\([Pp][Ss]_.*\).*/\1/p' x.x

(x.x = filename containing these strings) but I keep getting the results that look like the following:

PS_CA_BI_FF2_TA3 SET DELETE_ME = 'Y' WHERE PROCESS_INSTANCE
PS_CA_BP_LINES LINE, PS_INTFC_BI BI WHERE
PS_INTFC_BI BI WHERE
PS_CA_BILL_PLAN BP WHERE BP.CONTRACT_NUM
PS_INTFC_BI WHERE INTFC_ID

How do I stop the extract to the end of the word or space after the word? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting from second word

Hi all, I need to extract the Particular string from the whole word,the input file is : 123,345,aaaa,555,....,.... I need all the record from 345 so i need to eliminate the first record. Output: 345,aaa,5555,....,.....,..... Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ithirak17
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with extracting information

Hi all, <select name="comp" id="comp" style="width:130px;"> <?php $sqlcomp = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM comp"); while ($redcomp = mysql_fetch_array($sqlcomp)) { extract($redcomp); echo "<option value=\"$comp_id\">comp_name</option>"; } ?> ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: c0mrade
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extracting sentences that only contain a word

Hi guys Need your help how do I extract sentences with only a word i.e. today is hot hot very humid humid2 Sample output hot very (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamestan
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting sentences that only contain a word

Hi guys Need your help how do I extract sentences with only a word i.e. today is hot hot very humid humid2 Sample output hot (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamestan
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a word from a variable

Hi Guys, Need you quick assistance on the below, trying to extract a word from a variable i.e. acmi101acmi102acmi103acmi104 When i use the following code awk '{gsub(/cmi102/,"")};1' it leaves a space in the variable, need to get rid of the space that it leaves. Any ideas. the above... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eo29
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems extracting some information

Hi there! Well, I'm writing a script to obtain certain information about files. Specifically, I want to get the information about those files which last access were in the last 24 hours, so I'm doing something like this: find <directory_name> -atime -1 -printf '%f %a\n' I would also... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Skirmish
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting part of a word

I have the code message={TP=2012:09:23:00:00:00:GMT,SD=2012:09:23:00:00:00:GMT,SP=2,FT=CCGT,FG=3605} I want to extract the FG=3605 parts of this. Please help. I am trying to do this using awk or unix. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JenniferTopham
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing first word while extracting

Hello All, I am extracting a part of file. the file looks as follows USING CHARACTER SET UTF8 DEFINE JOB ( DEFINE SCHEMA Flat_File_Schema ( cntnt_id VARCHAR(10) ); DEFINE OPERATOR o_mload TYPE update SCHEMA * ATTRIBUTES ( VARCHAR TdpId = @TdpId (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nnani
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - extracting the first word only if match

Hello. from a text file, I want to get only the first word ( before blank ) following code= grep -i -e "WORD1" "/path/to/text/file.txt | sed -n 's/WORD1\+//p' | sed -n 's/code=/\1/p' return an error. sed: -e expression #1, char 12: invalid reference \1 on `s' command's RHSFor debugging... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a particular word with another word in all the xml's under a particular directory with sed

Hi Folks, Could you please advise what will be the SED command to replace a word in all xml's under a particular directory for example let say I rite now at the following below location $ cd /ter/rap/config now under config directory there will be lots of xml file , now my objective is to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: punpun66
1 Replies