Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Assign default password to new users in Solaris Post 302587334 by frappa on Wednesday 4th of January 2012 03:02:04 PM
Old 01-04-2012
hi,
have a look at man usermod, the section OPTIONS, option -p.

perform tests on a test account

see ya
fra
This User Gave Thanks to frappa For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How best to extract the users home from /etc/password

What would be the best way to extract a users home from /etc/passwd. I intended to use cut but have been semi advised that a can do it using and eval statement and the ~ operator. Unfortunately this was just a casual conversation so made little sense at the time. Any help much appreciated. cheers (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: spaceship
4 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

list the password settings for all the users

Hi!! How can I list the password settings for all the users?? Best regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: irasela
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Have users changed their password

How can I know users have changed their passwords ? I don't need their password (!) I have to know if they have changed their pass word and when ? Thank you in advance for any SIMPLE answer. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: annemar
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can I assign permissions only for some users ?

I know how to change permissions for the owner, group or others. if I want a file readable for a group A of users and writable for a group B how can I do it ? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aneuryzma
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help- Change the password of users to common one

Hi all I have some 106 users of which i need to change the password of them to a common one. I dont know their paswword. But i need to reset them to a common one. How can i do this with a shell script? It would be a great help if some one can help to sort out this.:b::b: I know it can be... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to change password for all users

We have a server where we have a number of user ids and we also have the list of old passwords in a CSV file. Now we want to change the password of all the users and assign them a default password.Can we write a shell script to do that. I am planning to read the user name and corresponding... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr46014
7 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Too many users with root password

Hi there, I'm working with a Linux server and now I can get a daily Logwatch mail ... my question is:since there are too many users with root password (...in my opinion... :mad:) how could I prevent to delete information about "su" log? Thanks in advance, GB (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Giordano Bruno
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Change password for users

I am on SunOS SolarisServer 5.11 11.1 i86pc i386 i86pc , I am trying to change password for a user,but I get the following message.I cannot find any google help on the matter.can anyone help? root@SolarisServer:~# passwd passwd: Changing password for stain Please try again Please try... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbtshare
6 Replies

9. Solaris

Sol 10 PAM config - how to assign modules to specific users

Hi, was after some help for the following. I want to enforce local passwd authentication for service accounts and kerberos authentication for users. Solaris 11 lets me assign different PAM modules to specific users via usermod and linux lets me define via UID, but I can't find a way to do this... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: melias
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to read through a file and create new users/assign them to groups in Ubuntu

Hi all. I need a shell script that can, in short, read through a text file line by line and create a new user in Ubuntu, as well as assign that user to a group. The format of the text file is not important but preferably: 'username:group'. I don't have much programming knowledge no matter shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LewisWeekly
3 Replies
NEWKEY(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 NEWKEY(8)

NAME
newkey -- create a new key in the publickey database SYNOPSIS
newkey -h hostname newkey -u username DESCRIPTION
The newkey utility is normally run by the network administrator on the Network Interface Service (NIS) master machine in order to establish public keys for users and super-users on the network. These keys are needed for using secure RPC or secure NFS . The newkey utility will prompt for the login password of the given username and then create a new public/secret key pair in /etc/publickey encrypted with the login password of the given user. Use of this program is not required: users may create their own keys using chkey(1). OPTIONS
-h hostname Create a new public key for the super-user at the given hostname. Prompts for the root password of the given hostname. -u username Create a new public key for the given username. Prompts for the NIS password of the given username. SEE ALSO
chkey(1), keylogin(1), publickey(5), keyserv(8) NOTES
The Network Information Service (NIS) was formerly known as Sun Yellow Pages (YP). The functionality of the two remains the same; only the name has changed. BSD
October 12, 1987 BSD