Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Calculating frequency of values within bins Post 302587299 by bartus11 on Wednesday 4th of January 2012 12:33:37 PM
Old 01-04-2012
Can you post the exact output with numbers that should be achieved for the sample data that you provided?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Calculating the Hours between two time values

Dear Folks, I want to calculate the elapsed hours between two time columns. I am using timestampdiff method for the same. I am able to get the value. But facing an issue of decimal values. For example the elapsed hours between 09:00:00 and 20:30:00 is coming as 11 instead of 11.5. I am using below... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dinesh1985
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating cumulative frequency

Hi, I have a file containing the frequency's of an element sorted in ascending order. The file looks something like this: #Element Frequency 1 1 2 1 3 1 4 1 5 1 6 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sajal.bhatia
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with calculating frequency of specific word in a string

Input file: #read_1 AWEAWQQRZZZQWQQWZ #read_2 ZZAQWRQTWQQQWADSADZZZ #read_3 POGZZZZZZADWRR . . Desired output file: #read_1 3 #read_1 1 #read_2 2 #read_2 3 #read_3 6 . . (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Redirecting print to optional output bins

Guys We have a HP P4015 laserjet printer with a 5 bin mailbox attached & configured. We can print to the specific output bins from Oracle e-Business suite, however our print output format is incompatible so it prints out random characters instead of the letter content. I have looked... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: s1977
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

calculating unique strings values

Hi, Im looking for a script which will calculate the unique strings column 2 & 3 values in a log as mentioned in example eg:- bag 12 12 bag 18 15 bags 15 13 bags 15 14 blazer 24 24 blazer 33 32 boots 19 15 Result should be:- bag 30 27 bags 30 27... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paulwintech
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Calculating cumulative frequency using awk

Hi, I wanted to calculate cumulative frequency distribution of my data that involves several arithmetic calls. I did things in excel but its taking me forever. this is what I want to do: var1.txt contains n observations which I have to compute for frequency which is given by 1/n and subsequently... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ida1215
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk solution for taking bins

Hi all, I'm looking for an awk solution for taking bins of data set. For example, if I have two columns of data that I wish to use for a scatter plot, and it contains 5 million lines, how can I take averages of every 100 points, 1000, 10000 etc... The idea is to take bins of the 5,000,000 points... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count frequency of unique values in specific column

Hi, I have tab-deliminated data similar to the following: dot is-big 2 dot is-round 3 dot is-gray 4 cat is-big 3 hot in-summer 5 I want to count the frequency of each individual "unique" value in the 1st column. Thus, the desired output would be as follows: dot 3 cat 1 hot 1 is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to select 2D data bins

I wish to use AWK to do something akin: Select all 2D data with 1<$1<2 and -7.5<$2<-6.5 But it's not working awk 'END {print ($1<=2&&$1>=1&&$2<=-6.5&&$2>=-7.5)}' bla Data: -1.06897 -8.04482 -61.469 -1.13613 -8.04482 -61.2271 -1.00182 -8.04482 -61.2081 -1.06897 -8.13518 -60.8544... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisjorg
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Create bins with totals and percentage

I would like to create bins to get histogram with totals and percentage, e.g. starting from 0. If possible to set the minimum and maximum value in the bins ( in my case value min=0 and max=20 ) Input file 8 5 10 1 11 4 12 4 12 4 13 5 16 7 18 9 16 9 17 7 18 5 19 5 20 1 21 7 (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
10 Replies
HISTO(1)						      General Commands Manual							  HISTO(1)

NAME
histo - compute 1-dimensional histogram of N data columns SYNOPSIS
histo [-c][-p] xmin xmax nbins histo [-c][-p] imin imax DESCRIPTION
Histo bins columnular data on the standard input between the given minimum and maximum values. If three command line arguments are given, the third is taken as the number of data bins between the first two real numbers. If only two arguments are given, they are both assumed to be integers, and the number of data bins will be equal to their difference plus one. The bins are always of equal size. The output is N+1 columns of data (for N columns input), where the first column is the centroid of each division, and each row corresponds to the frequencies for each column around that value. If the -c option is present, then histo computes the cumulative histogram for each column instead of the straight frequencies. The upper value of each bin is printed also instead of the centroid. This may be useful in computing percentiles, for example. Values below the minimum specified are still counted in the cumulative total. The -p option tells histo to report the percentage of the total number of input lines rather than the absolute counts. In the case of a cumulative total, this yields the percentile values directly. Values above the maximum are counted as well as values below in this case. All input data is interpreted as real values, and columns must be white-space separated. If any value is less than the minimum or greater than the maximum, it will be ignored unless the -c option is specified. EXAMPLE
To count data values between -1 and 1 in 50 bins: histo -1 1 50 < input.dat To count frequencies of integers between 0 and 255: histo 0 255 < input.dat AUTHOR
Greg Ward SEE ALSO
cnt(1), neaten(1), rcalc(1), rlam(1), tabfunc(1), total(1) RADIANCE
9/6/96 HISTO(1)