Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Kernel Stack vs User Mode Stack Post 302586912 by ygemici on Tuesday 3rd of January 2012 03:54:52 PM
Old 01-03-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkoar
@fpmurphy,

That means in Linux each process has a user mode stack and a corresponding Kernel mode stack? So, there is two stacks per process?
actually they are used on the separate [cpu processing] modes.
and in this state lets we split to as modes(user/kernel) for better understanding of its.
shortly,linux process can operates in two modes:

* in user_mode
any process which runs the in user mode refers to private(own) stack area that is used for holds local variables,parameters,frame pointer(very useful while detect relative addres of any func local variables after pushes,pops especially in debug processing[kernel oops]),temporary(as a cpy) values(like in c,c++,java),return address from funcs and automatic variables within functions.

* in kernel mode (after switching to kernel mode by [switch_to] ), portion of the process (code areas),its addresses and core kernel data, starts to use the kernel stack.
[as additonal infos; hardware context informations(like contents of all registers in user mode) also are saved in the kernel stack while the hardware context processing]

linux kernel has many complex structures like kernel control path that is sequence of instructions(* executed several kernel functions) executed by a kernel for an interrupt,system call or exception handling.
so these instructions are belonging to different processes.therefore each kernel path must refers to its kernel stack(8k)
[actually 8140 bytes 52 byte save for thread_info structure]
you can define the size of kernel stacks while compaling if you see the like this message
Code:
Use 4Kb for kernel stacks instead of 8Kb (4KSTACKS) [N/y/?] n

and user mode process can not know where is the address of own kernel stack memory area; (pointer) address, therefore cannot accessed to kernel stack area in the user mode.

while switching to kernel mode with mode switch,process will continue to work in the reentrance kernels.
so it is a reentrance kernel! user mode process executions can be resume in kernel mode and continues processing for new processes by kernel schedulers.[assisgns the another Cpu to the process with schedule()]
but on a single processor system,one process will be process in the Cpu and new processes blocked until the current process turn.

I would recommend for more information below usefull links..
Understanding the Linux Kernel, 3rd Edition
4K Stacks in 2.6 [LWN.net]

regards
ygemici

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

User Frame & Stack

Can anybody tell me what a user frame & stack looks like on a sun, hp, powerpc system? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: John Budnik
0 Replies

2. Programming

what is stack winding and stack unwinding

helo can u tell me what do you mean by stack winding and stack unwinding Regards, Amit (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
2 Replies

3. Solaris

How to set stack for Oracle's user?

Hi all! I've got a problem. Primary: Sun Sparc V890, 64bit Standby: HP-Proliant ML 350, 64bit In the machine that I've got configured physical standby database, the alert_log_file point me one error: Sat Feb 28 00:40:08 2009 ORA-00202: control file:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: trantuananh24hg
5 Replies

4. SCO

SCO Openserver Kernel and network stack

Hi everybody My SCO 5.0.2 OpenServer got its kernel corruptions and network stack was accicentially deleted. I would like to know if we have any chance to rebuild its kernel and network stack. Any help will be great thankfully appreciate TN (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TinhNhi
1 Replies

5. Programming

which function copies data from user to kernel mode

when transitionaning from user to kernel mode which function copies data from user mode buffer to kernel mode? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

View User Mode Call Stack of Hung Process

I have a multithreaded usermode program(actually a daemon) which is in hanged state. To debug it I tried attaching the process to gdb, but the gdb hangs. gstack also gets hanged. I peeped into the proc file system and saw the process to be in sleeping state. /proc/sysrq-trigger I guess... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Cannot set 'soft limits' for 'maximum stack size' for a standard user

Hi Guys, I'm trying to install Oracle Database on to Oracle Linux 7.6 but when the database install package checks the OS set-up, it keeps on failing on the soft limits for the stack. It's default value is 8192 but I'm trying to set it to 10240. This is what I added to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ASGR
2 Replies
SIGRETURN(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						      SIGRETURN(2)

NAME
sigreturn - return from signal handler and cleanup stack frame SYNOPSIS
int sigreturn(unsigned long __unused); DESCRIPTION
When the Linux kernel creates the stack frame for a signal handler, a call to sigreturn() is inserted into the stack frame so that upon return from the signal handler, sigreturn() will be called. This sigreturn() call undoes everything that was done--changing the process's signal mask, switching stacks (see sigaltstack(2))--in order to invoke the signal handler: it restores the process's signal mask, switches stacks, and restores the process's context (registers, pro- cessor flags), so that the process directly resumes execution at the point where it was interrupted by the signal. RETURN VALUE
sigreturn() never returns. FILES
/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/kernel/signal.c /usr/src/linux/arch/alpha/kernel/entry.S CONFORMING TO
sigreturn() is specific to Linux and should not be used in programs intended to be portable. NOTES
The sigreturn() call is used by the kernel to implement signal handlers. It should never be called directly. Better yet, the specific use of the __unused argument varies depending on the architecture. SEE ALSO
kill(2), sigaltstack(2), signal(2), signal(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2008-06-26 SIGRETURN(2)