Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting use vimdiff inside while read Post 302586461 by tinivt on Monday 2nd of January 2012 06:05:08 AM
Old 01-02-2012
Thanks,

Could you please explain the significance of the diff command as well

Code:
diff src/"$REPLY" dest/"$REPLY" ||

Last edited by radoulov; 01-02-2012 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: Code tags!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read inside a while loop

Hi all, In a while loop, like below... while read line do read choice case $choice in 1) echo "xxx" esac done < file why I can't run the read choice???? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dta4316
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

input inside while read loop

Hi all Does anyone have a script that will allow me to stop inside a while read loop. I want to pause the loop until a enter is pressed. e.g. While read line do echo something if LINECOUNT > 40 then read ENTER?"PRESS ENTER TO CONT..." ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhansrod
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read command (input) inside the while loop

Hi, 'read' command is not working inside the while loop, How can I solve this? Rgds, Sharif. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharif
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to read line inside expect script

hi, i have an existing ftp script that needs to be translated to SFTP so i have to use expect script to automate the login to the remote server. Now im facing with a problem becaise i have at least 50 files to be renamed ont he remote server. It's a hassle to hardcode every single command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: The One
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from user inside a while statement

Hi there I want to ask to a user something about each line of a file. This is my code: #cat test.txt first line second line third line #cat test.sh #!/bin/ksh read_write () { echo "Do you want to print the line (YES/NO)?\n" read TEST case ${TEST} in YES) return 0;; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tirkha
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to read a file inside jar

how to read the text file inside the jar without extracting jar. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikn
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

vimdiff jump to other file or switch windows

This took me quite awhile to find so I wanted to share this with other people. To switch windows in vimdiff or to navigate windows in vimdiff or to change windows in vimdiff try the following: The ":vertical" command can be inserted before another command that splits a window. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Update file record inside read loop

Hi, I am reading file records inside a while loop, and want to update the record when certain condition is met. How can I update a file while being read? I want to avoid using temporary files, copy, rename, ... while IFS=',' read -r f1 f2 do function(f1,f2) if then <add... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ysrini
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to read user input inside a loop

Hi, This query is a part of a much more lengthy script. I wish to look for all the files in a folder named "data" which in this case has two files i.e. plan.war and agent.properties. For all the files found under data I wish to ask the user as to where they wish copy the files to. Below,... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
14 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Case inside While read File

Hi Experts, Need your guidance for case statement. I tried many way but no success yet.Now my existing code is doing something like below. Each Line of the input file contains one test case.#!/bin/bash FILE=$1 while read LINE; do do COMMAND done < $FILE Now I want to modify the code... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradyumnajpn10
6 Replies
VIMDIFF(1)                                                    General Commands Manual                                                   VIMDIFF(1)

NAME
vimdiff - edit two, three or four versions of a file with Vim and show differences SYNOPSIS
vimdiff [options] file1 file2 [file3 [file4]] gvimdiff DESCRIPTION
Vimdiff starts Vim on two (or three or four) files. Each file gets its own window. The differences between the files are highlighted. This is a nice way to inspect changes and to move changes from one version to another version of the same file. See vim(1) for details about Vim itself. When started as gvimdiff the GUI will be started, if available. In each window the 'diff' option will be set, which causes the differences to be highlighted. The 'wrap' and 'scrollbind' options are set to make the text look good. The 'foldmethod' option is set to "diff", which puts ranges of lines without changes in a fold. 'foldcolumn' is set to two to make it easy to spot the folds and open or close them. OPTIONS
Vertical splits are used to align the lines, as if the "-O" argument was used. To use horizontal splits instead, use the "-o" argument. For all other arguments see vim(1). SEE ALSO
vim(1) AUTHOR
Most of Vim was made by Bram Moolenaar, with a lot of help from others. See ":help credits" in Vim. 2001 March 30 VIMDIFF(1)