"Kernel Stack vs User Mode Stack"

Post #302586394 by saurabhkoar on Sunday 1st of January 2012 03:33:39 PM

Kernel Stack vs User Mode Stack

Hi,
I am new to the linux kernel development area. I want to know what is the difference between kernel mode stack and user mode stack? Does each process has a user mode stack and a kernel mode stack?? Or Each process has a user mode stack and there is only one kernel mode stack that is shared by all processes in the kernel mode?

Test Your Knowledge in Computers #727
Difficulty: Medium
Radia Perlman Invented the Spanning Tree Protocol (STP).
True or False?

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

User Frame & Stack

Can anybody tell me what a user frame & stack looks like on a sun, hp, powerpc system? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: John Budnik
0 Replies

2. Programming

what is stack winding and stack unwinding

helo can u tell me what do you mean by stack winding and stack unwinding Regards, Amit (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
2 Replies

3. Solaris

How to set stack for Oracle's user?

Hi all! I've got a problem. Primary: Sun Sparc V890, 64bit Standby: HP-Proliant ML 350, 64bit In the machine that I've got configured physical standby database, the alert_log_file point me one error: Sat Feb 28 00:40:08 2009 ORA-00202: control file:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: trantuananh24hg
5 Replies

4. SCO

SCO Openserver Kernel and network stack

Hi everybody My SCO 5.0.2 OpenServer got its kernel corruptions and network stack was accicentially deleted. I would like to know if we have any chance to rebuild its kernel and network stack. Any help will be great thankfully appreciate TN (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TinhNhi
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Precaution to access user mode buffers from kernel

When accessing a user mode buffers from kernel space drivers what precautions must we take and how those precautions need to be implemented? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

View User Mode Call Stack of Hung Process

I have a multithreaded usermode program(actually a daemon) which is in hanged state. To debug it I tried attaching the process to gdb, but the gdb hangs. gstack also gets hanged. I peeped into the proc file system and saw the process to be in sleeping state. /proc/sysrq-trigger I guess... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Cannot set 'soft limits' for 'maximum stack size' for a standard user

Hi Guys, I'm trying to install Oracle Database on to Oracle Linux 7.6 but when the database install package checks the OS set-up, it keeps on failing on the soft limits for the stack. It's default value is 8192 but I'm trying to set it to 10240. This is what I added to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ASGR
2 Replies
Tspi_DecodeBER_TssBlob(3)			     TCG Software Stack Developer's Reference				 Tspi_DecodeBER_TssBlob(3)

NAME
Tspi_DecodeBER_TssBlob - unwraps a BER-encoded TSS blob. SYNOPSIS
#include <tss/tspi.h> TSS_RESULT Tspi_DecodeBER_TssBlob(UINT32 berBlobSize, BYTE* berBlob, UINT32* blobType, UINT32* rawBlobSize, BYTE* rawBlob); DESCRIPTION
Tspi_DecodeBER_TssBlob is used to unwrap a BER-encoded blob in accordance with the ASN.1 data definitions in the Portable Data section of the Trusted Computing Group Software Stack Specification Version 1.2. PARAMETERS
berBlobSize Size of the BER-encoded blob. berBlob Pointer to the BER-encoded blob. blobType Pointer to the type of blob being unwrapped (refer to the TSS_BLOB_TYPE_* constants). rawBlobSize Pointer to the size of the rawBlob buffer. On input this parameter contains a pointer to the maximum size of the supplied rawBlob buffer. On output this parameter contains a pointer to the actual size of the unwrapped blob. On input, if this parameter points to a value of 0, then this function will return the size of the buffer required to hold the unwrapped blob without writing to the rawBlob buffer. Note: The output data must be shorter than the BER-encoding, so berBlobSize is a useful upper limit on rawBlob buffer size. rawBlob Pointer to a buffer to hold the unwrapped blob. RETURN CODES
Tspi_EncodeDER_TssBlob returns TSS_SUCCESS on success, otherwise one of the following values are returned: TSS_E_BAD_PARAMETER TSS_E_INTERNAL_ERROR - An error occurred internal to the TSS. CONFORMING TO
Tspi_DecodeBER_TssBlob conforms to the Trusted Computing Group Software Specification Version 1.2 SEE ALSO
Tspi_DecodeBER_TssBlob(3). TSS 1.2 2007-06-12 Tspi_DecodeBER_TssBlob(3)

Featured Tech Videos