Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers rm: cannot remove file: Read-only file system Post 302584278 by Corona688 on Thursday 22nd of December 2011 02:29:47 PM
Old 12-22-2011
If you don't have root and can't get root, you can't run mount -o remount,rw /media/disk. Any mount operation, even "user" ones, requires CAP_SYS_ADMIN. User ones only work because /bin/mount is a setuid executable. GUI's only get away with automounting by getting root permissions somehow. And so forth.

That said, how did this filesystem become read-only? Check your dmesg. Linux will force a filesystem read-only if an I/O error happens to it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to remove a ufs file system?

Hello, On a box with Solaris 10 I created a ufs file system and now I need to remove that file system. How do I remove a ufs file system on Solaris 10? Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmichner
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read file and remove max length

Hi all, I tried to write a shell to read huge file and eliminate max length record which is wrong generated record. But I get an error remove_sp.sh: line 27: syntax error near unexpected token `else' remove_sp.sh: line 27: ` else $LINE >> REJFILE' My shell is here: #!/bin/sh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_bold
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read only file system

Hi, Has any one worked on IPSO operating system. I have a to add a file to /etc directory. When I create a file it comes up with read only file system. Is there any way of adding a file to this directory, without changing the etc directory parameters. Br, Eugene (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eugene777
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/ file system mounts as read only

I have a Netra T1 server running Solaris 8, It was installed by jump start, it does not have a cdrom drive. Recetly it crashed so I rebooted it from >LOM poweron and it came to run level 3, all file systems listed in /etc/vfstab are mounted, but /dev and / root are not writeable though in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
3 Replies

5. SCO

file system not getting mounted in read write mode after system power failure

After System power get failed File system is not getting mounted in read- write mode (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gtkpmbpl
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove last character in a string read from file

Hello, The last character is a comma , I have tried the following: sed -e 's/\,$//' filename-to-read however - there are still commas at the end of each line...:confused: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: learning
5 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

Read-only file system error

My first post :) I deleted all the files within /system/library/startupitems to the trash bin. Now my mac snow leopard won't boot at all. All I got is the gray screen, apple logo and the spinning wheel...just spinning forever. I was able to boot in single-user mode. I'm trying to copy cp command... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: haxum
14 Replies

8. Red Hat

Read only file system : File show as ? ? ? ?

I have a test system, user which I have my home directory. /home/hansini The files under this directory show as ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? sam.sh ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? DDD I know on the test system OS is corrupt and it is read only file system. If I go to some other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hansini
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chown: Read-only file system

Hi, I am logged in as super use and want to set owner of a root folder to a specific user. #chown -R user1:group1 /u01 This gives the message: chown: /u01: Read-only file system chown: lost+found: Read-only file system #ls -l drwxr-xr-x 3 root system 256 Mar 21 16:42... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoefiend
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read value of a file, remove first 2 chars and put this value in a variable

Hi i have need of read a file value with cat command and remove first 2character for example cat /sys/class/rtc/day 0x12 Remove char 12 And put this value in a variable is possible with a script thanks for help (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: enaud
6 Replies
TWINSTAR(8)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       TWINSTAR(8)

NAME
twinstar - Control the Twinstar feature of a Xorcom Astribank SYNOPSIS
twinstar {status|jump|enable-wd|disable-wd|ports} DESCRIPTION
twinstar is a tool to control the Twinstar (dual USB port) of a Xorcom Astribank. There is a single and mandatory argument which is the command to run. That command operates on all the Astribanks connected to the system. Technically all the commands are implemented using Dahdi::Xpp::Mpp which in turn uses astribank_tool. Thus using thus tool will require root permissions or otherwise read/write permissions to the USB device. The twinstar may be in watchdog mode, which means that it will jump to the remote host if it loses contact with the local host. This can happen if the machine is powered down or hangs or even if the xpp drivers are unloaded. Which is why the standard twinstar scripts put the Astribanks in twinstar mode on startup and remove it on normal shutdown. An Astribank will only jump to the other host (either if asked explicitly or by the watchdog) only if there is a different Astribank connected to the other port and running. Which is why all of this has no effect on systems that don't need this functionality. The command are: status Shows the current status of all Astribanks. Note that it only shows Astribanks whose current active USB port is the one connected to this computer. Example output: DEVICE PORT WATCHDOG POWER0 POWER1 usb:001/010 0 on yes yes usb:001/011 0 on yes yes For each Astribank on the system that has Twinstar support we get: Device The address of the device. This is the bus address, e.g. the address you see in lsusb / dahdi_hardware. Port The active USB port on the Astribank. This should be always '0' on the master and always 1 on the slave. Watchdog on if the watchdog is triggered in the Atribank or off otherwise. Power0, Power1 Shows which ports of this Astribank are connected to a USB port of a running computer. This only shows whether or not the USB host provides power. ports Shows the same 'Port' column of the status command. jump Command all the Astribanks to jump to the other port. This works regardless the watchdog mode is enabled or not. But requires that there is power on the other port. enable-wd Enables watchdog mode. disable-wd Disables watchdog mode. FILES
twinstar mostly uses astribank_tool which in turn mostly uses USB files under /dev/bus/usb . perl v5.14.2 2010-07-28 TWINSTAR(8)