Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to find complete file names in UNIX if i know only extention of file Post 302584270 by Corona688 on Thursday 22nd of December 2011 02:16:17 PM
Old 12-22-2011
Code:
# Convert all characters but a-zA-Z0-9_/. into spaces.
# Then convert all spaces into newlines.
sed 's/[^a-zA-Z0-9_/.]/ /g;s/ /\n/g' < file |
# Print the token after the last /.  Ignore lines with no / in them.
        awk -F/ 'NF>1 { print $NF }'

---------- Post updated at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartus11
Try:
Code:
cat filename | tr " " "\n" | grep "/" | xargs -n1 basename

Useless Use of Cat

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find File names with sustitution

Hi All, Iam trying to find two kinds of files while ignoring rest of the files in a directory The files are like below Files to be found -------------------- perp45560 oerp4556 Files to be ignored ---------------------- oerp4556123450 oerp4556123470 I was trying the following... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: baanprog
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to find complete path of a file in unix

hi experts(novice people can stay away as it is no child's game), i am developing a script which works like recycle bin of windows. the problem i am facing is that when ever i am trying to delete a file which is situated in parent directory or parent's parent directory i am unable to capture... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yahoo!
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find complete path of a file in unix

hi experts(novice people can stay away as it is no child's game), i am developing a script which works like recycle bin of windows. the problem i am facing is that when ever i am trying to delete a file which is situated in parent directory or parent's parent directory i am unable to capture... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yahoo!
5 Replies

4. AIX

find for specific content in file in the directory and list only file names

Hi, I am trying to find the content of file using grep and find command and list only the file names but i am getting entire file list of files in the directory find . -exec grep "test" {} \; -ls Can anyone of you correct this (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhu_Jagarapu
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find pattern in file names?

I have some files, those are abbreviated (ed,ea, and bi) company_ed_20100719.txt company_ea_20100719.txt company_bi_20100719.txt I would like to rename these files by replacing ed with EmployeeDetails ea with EmployeeAddress bi with BankInfomration as company_... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxLearner
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

find specific file names and execute a command depending on file's name

Hi, As a newbie, I'm desperate ro make my shell script work. I'd like a script which checks all the files in a directory, check the file name, if the file name ends with "extracted", store it in a variable, if it has a suffix of ".roi" stores in another variable. I'm going to use these two... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: armando110
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find all .sql file names in all .sh unix files

Hi Guys, Can any one help me on this, I want to write unix command to get all .sh unix file name which are refered .sql files in it. Thanks Kolipaka (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lakshmanrk811
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Scripting : Sort a Portion of a File and not the complete file

Need to sort a portion of a file in a Alphabetical Order. Example : The user adam is not sorted and the user should get sorted. I don't want the complete file to get sorted. Currently All_users.txt contains the following lines. ############## # ARS USERS ############## mike, Mike... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: evrurs
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking Multiple File existance in a UNIX folder(Note: File names are all different)

HI Guys, I have some 8 files with different name and extensions. I need to check if they are present in a specific folder or not and also want that script to show me which all are not present. I can write if condition for each file but from a developer perspective , i feel that is not a good... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shankarpanda003
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find matching file in bash with variable file names but consisent prefixs

As part of a bash the below line strips off a numerical prefix from directory 1 to search for in directory 2. for file in /home/cmccabe/Desktop/comparison/missing/*.txt do file1=${file##*/} # Strip off directory getprefix=${file1%%_*.txt} ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)