Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers find & remove characters in filenames Post 302583326 by barrydocks on Tuesday 20th of December 2011 06:49:17 AM
Old 12-20-2011
wow, this is getting very technical for a mere noob like me!

One other quick question; I have a few mp3 files with a dot half way through the file name (ie track1 feat. artistx.mp3), up until now I have manually removed them as I came across it, how do I modify this command to remove them on mass?

Thanks!

Last edited by barrydocks; 12-20-2011 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: typo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl code to search for filenames that contain special characters

Hello, I have a requirement to search a directory, which contains any number of other directories for file names that contain special characters. directory structure DIR__ |__>DIR1 |__>DIR2__ |__>DIR2.1 |__>DIR2.2 |__>DIR3 .. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find and remove characters

Hi. I have many files in a folder, and even more in the subfolders. I need a script that finds and removes certain characters (them being /n in this one) in the files in the folder and it's subfolders. So, could someone write me a script that works in Linux, does this: Searchs for "/n" in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zerby
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filenames created with '\r' characters at the end

Hi all, Am creating files and doing copy,compare and deletion. As i do not want to mention the filepath everywhere, i store the filepaths in variables. FILENAME="/home/test/create/Myfile.txt" WR_PATH="/home/test/wrie/writefile.txt" RD_PATH="/home/test/myread/readfile.txt" echo "This is my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amio
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - stripping away characters that can't be used in filenames

I want to create a temp file which is named based on a search string. The search string may contain spaces or characters that aren't supposed to be used in filenames so I want to strip those out. My thought was to use 'tr' with but the result is the opposite of what I want: $ echo "test... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mglenney
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find duplicate filenames and remove in different mount point

Hi Gurus, Do any kind souls encounter have the same script as mentioned here. Find and compare filenames in different mount point and remove duplicates. Thanks a million!!! wanna13e (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wanna13e
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single/Multiple Line with Special characters - Find & Replace in Unix Script

Hi, I am creating a script to do a find and replace single/multiple lines in a file with any number of lines. I have written a logic in a script that reads a reference file say "findrep" and populates two variables $FIND and $REPLACE print $FIND gives Hi How r $u Rahul() Note:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_sarnayak
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: windows filenames escape characters

I have a perl find program that will find all files of window application stored on unix disks. Ofcourse these files contain all the weird characters windows allows, but on *nix pukes out all kinds of unwanted effects when processing these. Is their a utility that will escape all these... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karelb
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How best to remove certain characters from filenames and folders recursively

hello, I'm trying to figure out which tool is best for recursively renaming and files or folders using the characters \/*?”<>| in their name. I've tried many examples that use Bash, Python and Perl, but I'm not much of a programmer I seem to have hit a roadblock. Does anyone have any... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: prometheon123
15 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete characters & find unique IP addresses with port

Hi, I have a file having following content. <sip:9376507346@97.208.31.7:51088 <sip:9907472291@97.208.31.7:51208 <sip:8103742422@97.208.31.7:51024 <sip:9579892841@97.208.31.7:51080 <sip:9370904222@97.208.31.7:51104 <sip:9327665215@97.208.31.7:51104 <sip:9098364262@97.208.31.7:51024... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SunilB2011
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

To remove any invisible and special characters from the file(exclude @!#$&*)

Hi Guys, My requirement is to remove any invisible and special characters from the file like control M(carriage return) and alt numerics and it should not replace @#!$% abc|xyz|acd¥£ó adc|123| 12áí Please help on this. Thanks Rakesh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rakeshp
1 Replies
File::Find::Rule::Procedural(3) 			User Contributed Perl Documentation			   File::Find::Rule::Procedural(3)

NAME
File::Find::Rule::Procedural - File::Find::Rule's procedural interface SYNOPSIS
use File::Find::Rule; # find all .pm files, procedurally my @files = find(file => name => '*.pm', in => @INC); DESCRIPTION
In addition to the regular object-oriented interface, File::Find::Rule provides two subroutines for you to use. "find( @clauses )" "rule( @clauses )" "find" and "rule" can be used to invoke any methods available to the OO version. "rule" is a synonym for "find" Passing more than one value to a clause is done with an anonymous array: my $finder = find( name => [ '*.mp3', '*.ogg' ] ); "find" and "rule" both return a File::Find::Rule instance, unless one of the arguments is "in", in which case it returns a list of things that match the rule. my @files = find( name => [ '*.mp3', '*.ogg' ], in => $ENV{HOME} ); Please note that "in" will be the last clause evaluated, and so this code will search for mp3s regardless of size. my @files = find( name => '*.mp3', in => $ENV{HOME}, size => '<2k' ); ^ | Clause processing stopped here ------/ It is also possible to invert a single rule by prefixing it with "!" like so: # large files that aren't videos my @files = find( file => '!name' => [ '*.avi', '*.mov' ], size => '>20M', in => $ENV{HOME} ); AUTHOR
Richard Clamp <richardc@unixbeard.net> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2003 Richard Clamp. All Rights Reserved. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
File::Find::Rule perl v5.16.2 2011-09-19 File::Find::Rule::Procedural(3)