Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers chown: <file>: Not owner on Solaris 9 Post 302582890 by galuzan on Monday 19th of December 2011 01:42:17 AM
Old 12-19-2011
chown: <file>: Not owner on Solaris 9

Hi,
on a Solaris 5.9 machine no user except for root is able to use chown.
for exmaple:

Code:
> touch iamgal
> ls -la iamgal
-rw-r--r--   1 galtest1 other          0 Dec 19 08:40 iamgal
> chown galu iamgal
chown: iamgal: Not owner

I have checked about /etc/system and rstchown - it is already configured to 0 so there is nothing to do here

could anyone suggest ?

Thanks. Gal

Last edited by radoulov; 12-20-2011 at 05:53 AM.. Reason: Code tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change the owner of the file?

How to change the owner of the file? Can I change the owner of file/ files? I am user and not admin.(not logged as root) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: redlotus72
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change owner of a file

im running into changing the ownership of a file. I am trying to change the ownership to "system", but it doesn't want to work. I sudo chown system /preferences.plist Password: chown: system: Invalid argument is there a way to read the ownership of a file, something like read chown... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: CBarraford
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Owner of file gets 'not owner' error for chgrp

Hi Folks, I know that changing users and groups is pretty basic admin, but this one has got me stumped. When I try to change the group of a file for which I am the owner for, it still gives me a 'Not owner' error. For example, when I am logged in as 'webadmin', I have the following file: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: brizrobbo
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting file owner in perl

hi, how can I get the owner of the file ( not uid) on windows plaform. "getpwuid" is not working on windows. I knw it works on unix. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellwell
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How UNIX admin set up this? how files of 744 of other owner can be removed by another owner?

Hi all, We have some files are under 744 permissions and the the owner is say owner1 and group1. Now we have another user owner2 of group2, owner2 can remove files of the owner1 and the permission of those files are 744, unix admin told us he did some config at his side so we can do that. ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheGunMan
14 Replies

6. Cybersecurity

Change file owner

What i did: - logged in with acc1 and created a new user acc2 commands used: useradd and passwd. - Then i logged in acc2. but all the files are owned by acc1. Issue: I try to change the owner of the files using chown command . But it gives me a error message. All i want to do is... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: TotallyConfused
13 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chown: Read-only file system

Hi, I am logged in as super use and want to set owner of a root folder to a specific user. #chown -R user1:group1 /u01 This gives the message: chown: /u01: Read-only file system chown: lost+found: Read-only file system #ls -l drwxr-xr-x 3 root system 256 Mar 21 16:42... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoefiend
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Privileges : modify dir/file owner by other that's not owner

i need to do the following operations in solaris 10: 1.change owner and group owner for files which are not owned by the current user and user group 2.to can delete files in the /tmp directory which are not of the current user 3. allow to a standard user the deletion of files in the /tmp... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sirmark
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to log all file that has been move,chmod,chown?

Hi All, Seeking for your assistance on how to log that has been chmod,mv,chown,chgrp and how to prevent script running while chmod,mv,chown,chgrp are still running? Ex: a/b/c-folder file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt chmod 777 * chown owner owner group mv what i did was(please see... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikki1200
6 Replies

10. Solaris

Chown error in Solaris

Hello All, I am trying to change the home directory ownership of a user from "skel" to user himself, drwxr-xr-x 4 skel aldo 4096 May 26 09:47 dosatc But when i do that i get an error stating, # chown -R dosatc /msdhome/dosatc #chown: getcwd: Too many open files Please guide me... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull05
3 Replies
CHOWN(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          CHOWN(1)

NAME
chown - change file owner and group SYNOPSIS
chown [OPTION]... [OWNER][:[GROUP]] FILE... chown [OPTION]... --reference=RFILE FILE... DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents the GNU version of chown. chown changes the user and/or group ownership of each given file. If only an owner (a user name or numeric user ID) is given, that user is made the owner of each given file, and the files' group is not changed. If the owner is followed by a colon and a group name (or numeric group ID), with no spaces between them, the group ownership of the files is changed as well. If a colon but no group name follows the user name, that user is made the owner of the files and the group of the files is changed to that user's login group. If the colon and group are given, but the owner is omitted, only the group of the files is changed; in this case, chown performs the same function as chgrp. If only a colon is given, or if the entire operand is empty, neither the owner nor the group is changed. OPTIONS
Change the owner and/or group of each FILE to OWNER and/or GROUP. With --reference, change the owner and group of each FILE to those of RFILE. -c, --changes like verbose but report only when a change is made -f, --silent, --quiet suppress most error messages -v, --verbose output a diagnostic for every file processed --dereference affect the referent of each symbolic link (this is the default), rather than the symbolic link itself -h, --no-dereference affect symbolic links instead of any referenced file (useful only on systems that can change the ownership of a symlink) --from=CURRENT_OWNER:CURRENT_GROUP change the owner and/or group of each file only if its current owner and/or group match those specified here. Either may be omit- ted, in which case a match is not required for the omitted attribute --no-preserve-root do not treat '/' specially (the default) --preserve-root fail to operate recursively on '/' --reference=RFILE use RFILE's owner and group rather than specifying OWNER:GROUP values -R, --recursive operate on files and directories recursively The following options modify how a hierarchy is traversed when the -R option is also specified. If more than one is specified, only the final one takes effect. -H if a command line argument is a symbolic link to a directory, traverse it -L traverse every symbolic link to a directory encountered -P do not traverse any symbolic links (default) --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Owner is unchanged if missing. Group is unchanged if missing, but changed to login group if implied by a ':' following a symbolic OWNER. OWNER and GROUP may be numeric as well as symbolic. EXAMPLES
chown root /u Change the owner of /u to "root". chown root:staff /u Likewise, but also change its group to "staff". chown -hR root /u Change the owner of /u and subfiles to "root". AUTHOR
Written by David MacKenzie and Jim Meyering. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report chown translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
chown(2) Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/chown> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) chown invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 CHOWN(1)