Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sed or trim to remove non alphanumeric and alpha characters? Post 302582874 by balajesuri on Monday 19th of December 2011 12:44:36 AM
Old 12-19-2011
@jackma: Also, you were pretty close with tr. Just a small extension and you would've got what you wanted:
Code:
echo $x | tr -d '[:alpha:]' | sed 's/[<>]//g'

This User Gave Thanks to balajesuri For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: How do I remove leading non alpha characters

Hi, Sorry for silly question, but I'm trying to write a perl script to operate a log file that is in following format: (4)ab=1234/(10)bc=abcdef9876/cd=0.... The number in the brackets is the lenghts of the field, "/" is the field separator. Brackets are not leading every field. What I'm... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Juha
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting with non- and alphanumeric characters

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and I'm not a UNIX expert. I can't figure out this certain problem i'm having: I need to sort some words, some of the words are annotations (enclosed within < and >). I need to have them sorted alphabetically with all non-alphanumeric characters up front. For... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fed.m.ang
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep or sed. How to remove certain characters

Here is my problem. I have a list of phone numbers that I want to use only the last 4 digits as PINs for something I am working on. I have all the numbers in a file but now I want to be removed all items EXCEPT the last 4 digits. I have seen sed commands and some grep commands but I am... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sucio
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

non alpha characters in sed + making it fast?

hello, I'm trying to write the fastest sed command possible (large files will be processed) to replace RICH with NICK in a file which looks like this (below) if the occurance of RICH is uppercase, replace with uppercase if it's lowercase, replace with lowercase SOMTHING_RICH_SOMTHING <- replace... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rich@ardz
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

get rid of non-alphanumeric characters

Hi! Could anyone so kindly help me a code to eliminate from a txt file, obtained by collecting and merge several web-page, every word (string) containing non alphabetical, numeric and punctuation character (i.e NON a-zA-Z0-9, underscore and punctuation mark)? Thanks a lot for the help to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjomba
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed command to remove characters help!

I am trying to analyse a large file of sequencing data, example of first 10 lines below, @HWUSI-EAS656_0044_FC:7:1:2447:1039#GCAATT/1 GNCTATGGCTTGCCGGGCTCAGGGAAGACAATCATAGCCATGAAAATCATGGAAAAGATCAGAAAAACATTTCAA +HWUSI-EAS656_0044_FC:7:1:2447:1039#GCAATT/1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Adeleh
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove the Characters '[' and ']' with Sed

Hi, I am new to Sed and would like to know if it is possible to remove the characters . I have a couple of files with a keyword and would like to remove the substring. I am Using sed s/// but Its not working Thanks for your Support Andrew Borg (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrewborg
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed - remove special characters

Hi, I have a file with this line, it's always in the first line: I want to remove these special characters: ´╗┐ file1 ´╗┐\\bar\c$\test2\;3.348.118 Bytes;160 ;3 \\bar\c$\test\;35 Bytes;2 ;1 I want the same file to be only \\bar\c$\test2\;3.348.118 Bytes;160 ;3 \\bar\c$\test\;35... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nakaedu
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How does this sed expression to remove non-alpha characters work?

Hello! I know that this expression gets rid of non-alphanumeric characters: sed 's///g' and I understand that it is replacing them with nothing - hence the '//'-, but I don't understand how it's doing it. It seems it's finding strings that begin with alphanumeric and replacing them with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bgnersoon2be#1
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate a string of alphanumeric characters

Hi, I want a script of a code that will allow me to generate all possible combinations of alphanumberica characters of length 12 such that each string will contain numbers and either small or capital letters. For example a string may look like this: 123AB45cd678. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: faizlo
11 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)