Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Searching for a pattern from filenames stored in a file Post 302581104 by jeanjkj on Monday 12th of December 2011 05:09:57 AM
Old 12-12-2011
Let me make it clearer

my file is like below:

Code:
/date1/file1
/date2/file2
/date3/file3
/date10/file10

Each file is present in the path as above

I need to search some content like phonenumber in each of these entry in my main file.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags!

Last edited by zaxxon; 12-12-2011 at 06:15 AM.. Reason: code tags please, thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching for filenames with search strings in another file

Hi, I have 5 files in a directory. emp1_usage.txt emp2_usage.txt emp3_usage.txt emp4_usage.txt emp5_usage.txt I am using sqlldr to get the contents of the above 5 files and store it in a temp table and update my original table using temp table. for f in *emp*.txt do sqlldr... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathanjalireddy
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching words in a file containing a pattern

Hi all, I would like to print words in a file seperated by whitespaces containing a specific pattern like "=" e.g. I have a file1 containing strings like %cat file1 The= some= in wish= born <eof> .I want to display only those words containing = i.e The= , some=,wish= ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sree_123
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching a pattern in file and deleting th ewhole line containing the pattern

Hi All, Please can someone assist in the script I have made that searches a pattern in a file and delete the whole line containing the pattern. #!bin/sh # The pattern that user want to add to the files echo "Enter the pattern of the redirect" read value # check if the user has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shazin
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching a pattern in a file.

Hi Guys, I am writing a shell script to extract only the error message from a log file. I am having difficulty in searching the highlighted text in the below code. <runtimeinfo datetime="Sun Apr 04 20:02:52 EDT 2008" docid="" source="RAWDATA" event="ERROR"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prash1986
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching the date pattern in a file

Hi, I would like to search the pattern based on the date like "2010/08/15". I tried using / in the file giving /<<pattern>>. when i tried this it turns to /2010/+8, but not going to the pattern what ever i want. This is how the data in the file. INFO | jvm 1 | 2010/05/26 13:30:33... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for a pattern in a file...

The problem is similar to my yesterday post I Would like an awk script that does the following: I have a file (f1) that contains 1 2 3 4 5and another one (f2) that contains 8|a 9|b 0|c 1|d 2|e 3|f 4|g 5|h 6|i 7|jAnd I'd like to get this: 1|d 2|e 3|f 4|g (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tukuyomi
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Capture filenames with a Pattern into another file

Hi i have a command in windows which captures the filenames with the same pattern and route it to another file. for example filetest_20110921, filetest_20110922,filetest_20110923 etc I would like to know the command in UNIX/LINUX for the same. The command which i am using in Windows is ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mansurkhalil
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching a string stored in other file

I need to design a script which can do the following: I have two files abc.txt and constant.hmtl abc.txt contains some 5 string that I need to see if they exist in contants.html. Constants.hmtl is a very large file around 800 lines. I want to search all the strings present in file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemasid
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to Insert few lines which are stored in some file before a pattern in another file

Hello, I have few lines to be inserted in file_lines_to_insert. In another file final_file, I have to add lines from above file file_lines_to_insert before a particular pattern. e.g. $ cat file_lines_to_insert => contents are abc def lkj In another file final_file, before a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehashine
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search if file exists for a file pattern stored in array

Hi experts, I have two arrays one has the file paths to be searched in , and the other has the files to be serached.For eg searchfile.dat will have abc303 xyz123 i have to search for files that could be abc303*.dat or for that matter any extension . abc303*.dat.gz The following code... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 100bees
2 Replies
PTARGREP(1)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					       PTARGREP(1)

NAME
ptargrep - Apply pattern matching to the contents of files in a tar archive SYNOPSIS
ptargrep [options] <pattern> <tar file> ... Options: --basename|-b ignore directory paths from archive --ignore-case|-i do case-insensitive pattern matching --list-only|-l list matching filenames rather than extracting matches --verbose|-v write debugging message to STDERR --help|-? detailed help message DESCRIPTION
This utility allows you to apply pattern matching to the contents of files contained in a tar archive. You might use this to identify all files in an archive which contain lines matching the specified pattern and either print out the pathnames or extract the files. The pattern will be used as a Perl regular expression (as opposed to a simple grep regex). Multiple tar archive filenames can be specified - they will each be processed in turn. OPTIONS
--basename (alias -b) When matching files are extracted, ignore the directory path from the archive and write to the current directory using the basename of the file from the archive. Beware: if two matching files in the archive have the same basename, the second file extracted will overwrite the first. --ignore-case (alias -i) Make pattern matching case-insensitive. --list-only (alias -l) Print the pathname of each matching file from the archive to STDOUT. Without this option, the default behaviour is to extract each matching file. --verbose (alias -v) Log debugging info to STDERR. --help (alias -?) Display this documentation. COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2010 Grant McLean <grantm@cpan.org> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2018-08-17 PTARGREP(1)