Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Customizing from address in mailx command Post 302580837 by pandeesh on Friday 9th of December 2011 10:14:06 PM
Old 12-09-2011
Customizing from address in mailx command

Currently I am using mailx command for sending mails.
But the mail is sent as from userid@servername by default.
Is it possible to customise the from mail address in mailx command?

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mailx sender address customisation

Hi All, I'm on UNIX -Solaris... I'm trying to send mail usin Mailx..... The script is working fine and attachments are also being sent.... BUT, when I receive the mail,, the sender address shown is the unix login id name.... Any way by which I could manipulate this in my script command or any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vasan_srini
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mailx- can we change the from address in the email that is sent out.

Hello, Is there anyway to change the from address in the email sent using mailx command? I have the following command: mailx -s $subject xxx@xxxx.com < $mail_mesg This defaults to the following format "acctname@usserver.companyname.com" as the from address in the email. Problem is this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhika
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

change from address in mailx

Hi, i am sending mails regulary for updation of data. The from addresses dispaly like POP.RECH@skk182.com i want display like oracle@skk182.com can u help me on this. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to know if the mailx command really sends the mail to the email address?

Hi guys, I have a question about the returning message of the mailx command. if I run a mailx command, how can I know if the email has been sent to the email address? If the email address doesn't exist, is there any error message returned? If yes, how can I get the error message? Thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sheenshine
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to verify email address using mailx command ?

Is there any way i can verify the email address (before sending the mail) using the mailx command ? I know that sendmail -bv email@address.com can do it but there is a compatibility issues with the version of Unix we have. So mailx is the only command we can used at this point. Any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rak007
1 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

mailx to external email address

Hi, How can I use "mailx" command to send message to an email address like this? echo "This email body" | mailx -s "my subject" "email@hostname.com" There may be some setup required in sendmail or postfix?? OS = Snow Leopard 10.6 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: FlyingSquirrel
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

configure from address in mailx command

Hi, I need to configure customized from address in mailx command. Can you pls tell me the option for configuring from address. Thanks Latika (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: latika
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Customizing ps command

Hi, I want to monitor our batch jobs at a specific interval for later analysis to see the performance and CPU utilization USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TTY STAT START TIME COMMAND ps aux|grep dsadm|head xxxxx 386 0.0 0.0 103524 15448 pts/0 S Mar27 0:00... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheeshjulk
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mailx options to change from address

hi, I had a request to change the from email address while sending the email to the users. Current From email address : pepsimanufacturer@pepsi.com Requested From Email Adreess: manucturer@pepsi.com Any idea how the from addres can be changed. ---------- Post updated at 06:42 AM... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun888
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mailx command to include sender address

Hi, I m using mailx to send email. I am using sender=server name(display name) echo "body" | mailx -s "subject" -b "bcc address" "to address" -- -f "$sender". I should get email with sender as only display name. In stead i am getting displayname@server address. Please suggest Use code... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: usrrenny
1 Replies
biff(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   biff(1)

NAME
biff - Notifies users when mail arrives SYNOPSIS
biff [y | n] DESCRIPTION
The biff command informs the system whether you want to be notified when mail arrives during the current terminal session. The following command enables notification: biff y The following command disables notification: biff n When mail notification is enabled, the From: and Subject: header lines and up to the first five lines of the message are displayed. The total display is 560 characters, or seven lines terminated by newline characters, whichever occurs first. The biff y command is often included in the $HOME/.login or $HOME/.profile file to be executed each time you log in. The biff command operates asynchronously. For synchronous notification, use the MAIL variable of sh or ksh, or the mail variable of csh. EXAMPLES
To display the current setting, enter: biff To be notified during the current terminal session whenever mail arrives, enter the following in your $HOME/.login or $HOME/.profile file: biff y FILES
Read by login shell (after login. User profile. SEE ALSO
Commands: comsat(8), csh(1), ksh(1), mail(1), mailx(1), Bourne Shell sh(1b), POSIX Shell sh(1p) biff(1)