Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [Solved] take name of directory and files as variables Post 302578807 by vbe on Friday 2nd of December 2011 11:05:03 AM
Old 12-02-2011
I know I wrote a script for you... But where is it???? Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

[solved] merging two files and writing to another file- solved

i have two files as file1: 1 2 3 file2: a b c and the output should be: file3: 1~a 2~b 3~c (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mlpathir
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[SOLVED] Delete files and folders under given directory

I have a requirement to delete the files and folders under a given directory. my directory structure is like this.. Data | A(Directory) |_PDF(Directory)----pdf files |_XML()Directory --xml files |--files | B(Directory) |_PDF(Directory)----pdf files |_XML()Directory --xml files ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramse8pc
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Look for strings and use variables

Hello guys, First of all, thanks for taking the time to read my post. So, here I have a file from my honeypot which record IP addresses and web pages visited. I would like to manipulate it in order to create Snort signatures and ACLs. But I am having troubles to extract the src IP address and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Benou
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Bash test 2 variables to see if ones greater by n

Experts, I have a bash shell script that generates 2 variables that have the current minute and a minute from a log file. Can someone please show me the best way to test if the minutes stray by 5. So basically if: This is ok: Last Fitting Min ============= 02 Current Minute =============... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaysunn
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving files from one directory to another based on 2 date variables

Hi All, I am currently coding for a requirement(LINUX OS) where I am supposed to move a file (Lets Call it Employee.txt) from Directory A to Directory B based on 2 date fields as below, Date_Current = 20120620 Date_Previous = 20120610 Source Directory : /iis_data/source Target... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsfreddie
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Working with date (add minutes using variables)

Dear all, today I'm scratching my head with a simple (I believe) issue. Working with date is quite simple, so if I Need to add some seconds to current time, I'll use: date --date='+30 seconds' +"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"But, how to pass the value to add from a variable? I tried the following without... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[solved] Question for using variables outside a while loop

I want to get newvar outside the while any ideas? while read myline; do var=${myline} newvar1=$(let "$var") done echo $newvar1 I found it its ok now Thank you! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanantonio7777
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Writing a loop to changing the names of files in a directory

Hi, I would like to write a loop to change the names of files in a directory. The files are called data1.txt through data1000.txt. I'd like to change their names to a1.txt through a1000.txt. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SOLVED] nawk FS using pipe read variables from file

I have a file data_1.out which contains: 1|abc mail|mail subject|mail body 2|def mail|mail subject|def mail body I am trying to read the variables from data_1.out and use them to print to 2 different files based on the id (first_column) The problem is I am not able to read the file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sol_nov
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] How to find particular files ina directory?

Hi, I am trying to write a script to find some files in a directory Example: if i have files like 2014-02-01_aaaa.txt 2014-02-01_bbbb.txt 2014-02-01_cccc.txt 2014-02-01_dddd.txt and some other files how can i just check to see if there four files exits or not i tried some thing like this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikatakavi
5 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)