Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX AIX 5.3 Using sudo to control smit Post 302577977 by tharrieswk on Wednesday 30th of November 2011 11:34:32 AM
Old 11-30-2011
No, I don't know if smit needs any particular settings in the environment. Is there a way to determine that?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

AIX Smit menu designer. WinSmit

Hi, Please excuse me for posting an "ad" message here. Over the last few months I have created software called WinSmit, with this tool you can create your own AIX smit menus and corresponding message files. We all know the smit or smitty menus that IBM provides to maintain the system, the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mimyrtek
6 Replies

2. AIX

Install sudo on AIX 5.3

I'm trying to install sudo on AIX 5.3. I don't have a compiler on my machine, so I was trying to find a binary. The one found at http://www.bullfreeware.com/listaix52.html that is supposed to work for 5.3 even though it was compiled on 5.2. The issue is I'm new to AIX and could not figure out how... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sphericon
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Probably an easy AIX-SMIT question with mkroute

Hi All, I am on a project and logging into about 100 servers one at a time. One of the steps I am performing is setting up a link with smit mkroute. I am using AIX versions 5.2 and 5.3 Does anyone know a quick command line to set DESTINATION ADDRESS, GATEWAY address, Network MASK, and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffpas
5 Replies

4. AIX

AIX 5.3 sudo bootinfo

I am trying to understand why I get "0" returned when I run the command sudo bootinfo -r. I know bootinfo isn't really supported in versions higher then AIX 4.2. I also know that instead of bootinfo -r I could use lsattr -El sys0 -a realmem | awk '{print $2}' and produce the same output as ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maverick9576
1 Replies

5. Solaris

SMIT i AIX Sun Solaris ?

i now when i want use the smit in AIX is possible but a ask if you has in sun same job in sun tel me please awating supports (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yalmalki
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using expect script with AIX's SMIT in cron

My searches turned up nothing relevant, so I apologize if this has already been looked at. I am trying to run an expect script from a Solaris machine, that ssh's into an AIX machine, and interacts with a SMIT created menu system that runs a few backups for me. The expect script runs fine when... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mariognarly
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

control permissions for Active Directory users on AIX

Hello, I've configured an user authentication against Active Directory (Windows Server 2008 R2) on AIX V6 with LDAP. It works fine. And here's my problem: How can I control ldap user permissions on the local AIX machine? E.g. an AD user should be able to write all files of local sys... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xia777
1 Replies

8. AIX

How do I killed ideal users from AIX 5.3 smit?

Hi, I'm newbee to AIX and would like to setup a process which kills 1 Hr. ideal users from smit. Please advise for making it work. :) Thanks, Sumit (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumit30
2 Replies

9. Cybersecurity

sudo - AIX - User privilege specification

I am planning to implement sudo for users. Under , it looks I have to put the users who need to have sudo access: What are the recommended for users? I don't think I need to give the ALL privilege (i.e ) to AIX users. I'd like to know the commonly used privilege specification for sudo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
1 Replies

10. AIX

Sudo error on AIX 7.1

Hello, I tried installing sudo on a lab AIX server. It has been successfully installed. but i still see the below errors. />sudo -V Sudo version 1.8.27 Configure options: --prefix=/opt/freeware --sbindir=/opt/freeware/sbin --libdir=/opt/freeware/lib --mandir=/opt/freeware/man... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
8 Replies
XDG-SETTINGS(1) 						xdg-settings Manual						   XDG-SETTINGS(1)

NAME
xdg-settings - get various settings from the desktop environment SYNOPSIS
xdg-settings {get | check | set} {property} [subproperty] [value] xdg-settings {--help | --list | --manual | --version} DESCRIPTION
xdg-settings gets various settings from the desktop environment. For instance, desktop environments often provide proxy configuration and default web browser settings. Using xdg-settings these parameters can be extracted for use by applications that do not use the desktop environment's libraries (which would use the settings natively). xdg-settings is for use inside a desktop session only. It is not recommended to use xdg-settings as root. OPTIONS
--help Show command synopsis. --list List all properties xdg-settings knows about. --manual Show this manual page. --version Show the xdg-utils version information. PROPERTIES
When using xdg-settings to get, check or set a destkop setting, properties and possibly sub-properties are used to specify the setting to be changed. Some properties (such as default-web-browser) fully describe the setting to be changed. Other properties (such as default-url-scheme-handler) require more information (in this case the actual scheme to set the default handler for) which must be provided in a sub-property. EXIT CODES
An exit code of 0 indicates success while a non-zero exit code indicates failure. The following failure codes can be returned: 1 Error in command line syntax. 2 One of the files passed on the command line did not exist. 3 A required tool could not be found. 4 The action failed. EXAMPLES
Get the desktop file name of the current default web browser xdg-settings get default-web-browser Check whether the default web browser is firefox.desktop, which can be false even if "get default-web-browser" says that is the current value (if only some of the underlying settings actually reflect that value) xdg-settings check default-web-browser firefox.desktop Set the default web browser to google-chrome.desktop xdg-settings set default-web-browser google-chrome.desktop Set the default mailto URL scheme handler to be evolution.desktop xdg-settings set default-url-scheme-handler mailto evolution.desktop AUTHOR
Mike Mammarella Author. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009-2011 [FIXME: source] 06/10/2014 XDG-SETTINGS(1)