Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris zone breaching 'capped-memory' threshold Post 302577423 by soliberus on Tuesday 29th of November 2011 04:24:31 AM
Old 11-29-2011
zone breaching 'capped-memory' threshold

Calling upon all Solaris zone experts.

I have a Sun T3-1 that is running a few whole-root zones. I've set the 'capped-memory' setting on all the zones.

However, I have a problem on the one zone. Under load it uses more memory that has been allocated to it.

Code:
zonecfg -z sunrep02 export

add capped-memory
set physical=8G
end

When I run 'top' inside the zone it reports the correct memory

Code:
Memory: 8192M phys mem

Yesterday I had a problem with a rogue Oracle process and the zone managed to use more than the capped size of 8GB

The global zone has 16GB of RAM, so the sunrep02 zone should never use more than 50%.

Running 'prstat -Z' in the global zone returned the following:

Code:
     3      146   15G   10G    66%   3:40:36 0.5% sunrep02

In this instance it managed to grap 66% of the global zone's physical memory.

How is it possible for the zone to use more than 8GB of memory? Am I missing something in my zone's config?

Many thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

capped-memory in zone

How does capped-memory work in zones? I have 32G of memory and 10 zones. I want about physical=4G and swap=4G in each zone. Is this possible? I am going over the 32G. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: photon
1 Replies

2. Solaris

How to find memory size on solaris zone

Guys, How to find memory size on solaris zone? We have total 16 GB and have 3 zone, but not sure how to find memory size for each zone? Please help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mokkan
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Memory usuage per zone in solaris

Hello all, How can i find the memory usuage per zone in solaris. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sophos
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Reserve Memory for Global Zone

We have several containers on one machine and would like to reserve some memory for the global zone. capped-memory only allows max physical/swap and setting a max on each container isn't an option. The server has 32GB physical and 30GB swap. Currently there are ten containers on it. Normally... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kharjahn
6 Replies

5. Solaris

restrcit physical memory with zone.max-locked-memory

Is it possible to restrict physical memory in solaris zone with zone.max-locked-memory just like we can do with rcapd ? I do not want to used rcapd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fugitive
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Threshold for swap memory

hi guys the monitoring team is using a tool for monitoring linux boxes and they set an alarm for swap memory to 10%(critical) I really has no idea when swap memory usage is high.... Can someone recommend me a threshold for this? when is warning or critical and this parameters can affect... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Zone memory issue

We have a zone configured in our X4600 machine with memory capped to 16GB. Most of the time zone is running with high physical memory utilization. It seems from "top" command shows that the command "kernel" is locks 15GB phy. memory and not using swap memory. Whenever we restart the application... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rock123
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Finding capped memory of a non global zone

Is there a way to find the capped memory of a solaris non global zone from the non global zone itself (given rcapd is disabled) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: CuriousDev
6 Replies

9. Solaris

How the free memory threshold?

If I understand your question correctly, you are asking for an explanation of Solaris memory manager. You'd better ask Oracle that question because you are talking about Solaris kernel internals. The operating system kernel has no reason to kick a process's memory set out of real memory until... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hicksd8
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

High Memory threshold notification script

Hello Folks, I have created the script which use to send email notification when server memory breach the threshold limits. Script works fine, but the issue is sometimes i am receiving mail alerts for lower threshold memory also. Please let me know why and any updates required in script? ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: seenuvasan1985
7 Replies
brands(5)						Standards, Environments, and Macros						 brands(5)

NAME
brands - alternate operating environments for non-global zones DESCRIPTION
The branded zone (BrandZ) framework extends the Solaris Zones infrastructure described in zones(5) to include the creation of brands, which provide non-global zones that contain non-native operating environments. The term "brand" can refer to a wide range of operating environments. All brand management is performed as extensions to the current zones structure. Every zone is configured with an associated brand. The brand type is used to determine which scripts are executed when a zone is installed and booted. In addition, a zone's brand is used to properly identify the correct application type at application launch time. The default is the native brand. A branded zone will support exactly one brand of non-native binary, which means that a branded zone provides a single operating environ- ment. Once a zone has been assigned a brand, that brand cannot be changed or removed. BrandZ extends the zones tools in the following ways: o A brand is an attribute of a zone, set at zone create time. o The zonecfg tool (see zonecfg(1M)) is used to set a zone's brand type and configure the zone. o The zoneadm tool (see zoneadm(1M)) is used to report a zone's brand type and administer the zone. Device Support The devices supported by each zone are documented in the man pages and other documentation for that brand. The zones infrastructure detects any attempt to add an unsupported device and issues a warning to the administrator. If the administrator chooses to add an unsupported device despite that warning, that device might or might not work as expected. The configuration will be untested and unsupported. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for a description of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWzoneu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mdb(1), zlogin(1), zonename(1), dtrace(1M), in.rlogind(1M), sshd(1M), zoneadm(1M), zonecfg(1M), kill(2), priocntl(2), getzoneid(3C), ucred_get(3C), getzoneid(3C), proc(4), attributes(5), lx(5), native(5), privileges(5), zones(5), lx_systrace(7D), crgetzoneid(9F) SunOS 5.11 13 Feb 2009 brands(5)