Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Appending unix timestamp to every line of a statistical file Post 302576329 by vbe on Thursday 24th of November 2011 10:07:31 AM
Old 11-24-2011
The TZ setting can be quite awkward depending system which you say nothing of... Nor do you mention what shell you use...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending data at the first and last line of a file

Hi, Am trying to write a shell script which will append a header and a footer to an existing file. Header will contain details like the current date while the footer will contain the no: of records listed in the file. I know we can use the CAT command, but i have no clue abt the syntax to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: brainstormer
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

appending timestamp to a file

hi freinds, i need to append timestamp to a file name to make it unique... do we have any command in unix to do please help :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhu_aqua14
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending the line number and a seperator to each line of a file ?

Hi, I am a newb as far as shell scripting and SED goes so bear with me on this one. I want to basically append to each line in a file a delimiter character and the line's line number e.g Change the file from :- aaaaaa bbbbbb cccccc to:- aaaaaa;1 bbbbbb;2 cccccc;3 I have worked... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pjcwhite
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending a line in a file after a particular line

Hello, I have got a C file in which I would like to add an include statement of my own. There are already a few include statements and mine should come right after the last existing one (to be neat). With grep I can get the lines containing the word 'include' and I guess I should feed the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxvirrozeito
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending a column in one file to the corresponding line in a second

It appears that this has been asked and answered in similar fashions previously, but I am still unsure how to approach this. I have two files containing user information: fileA ttim:/home/ttim:Tiny Tim:632 ppinto:/home/ppinto:Pam Pinto:633 fileB ttim:xkfgjkd*&#^jhdfh... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suzannef
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending data to last line of file

A friend contacted me recently with an interesting question. We got something worked out, but I'm curious what answers you all can come up with. Given a shell script (in bash) that processes a bunch of data and appends it to a file, how would you append the date, time, and a filename to the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: malcolmpdx
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Appending timestamp problem

Hi, I am trying to insert a timestamp after all the file names in a folder,after the timestamp is created in the filename the file size is becoming zero bytes. please tell me where I am doing it wrong. I have declared the variable in starting of my script. timestamp=`date... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shruthidwh
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Appending Date at the end ONLY in first line of file

Hi, My requirement is to append a date in format DDMMYYYYHHMISS at the end of first line of file which is HEADER. I am trying command sed -i '1s/.*/&<date_format>/' <file_name> Where <date_format>=`date +%m%d%Y%H%M%S` I am somehow misisng the right quotes ti get this added in above... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjaydubey2006
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending timestamp to a file. Why do I need this space ?

Version Info $ cat /etc/redhat-release Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.4 (Tikanga) $ $ echo $0 -ksh I was trying to append date to the file name. The following syntax has worked $ touch HELLO-`date '+%d-%b-%Y'`.txt $ ls -alrt HELL* -rw-r--r-- 1 rlapp oinstall 0 Feb 20... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - Appending to specific line in file

I'm working on a personal project, a multiplication quiz script for my kids. In it, the user's performance will be recorded and written to a file. After they've played it a little while, it will start to focus more on the ones that give them the most trouble-- that take a long time to answer or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: treesloth
4 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)						      General Commands Manual						     ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)