Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Simple echo problem
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Simple echo problem Post 302573467 by Skrynesaver on Monday 14th of November 2011 04:50:28 PM
Old 11-14-2011
What happens when the listing and the tarball refer to the same directory?
Code:
path="~/path/to/file"
COMPARE1=$(ls  $path|wc -l)
tar czf archive.tgz  $path
COMPARE2=`tar tvzf archive.tgz|wc -l`
if [ $COMPARE1 -eq $COMPARE2 ]
      then
        echo "They are the same."
      else
        echo "They are not the same."
fi

As Corona points out above you don't have access to a variable once its parent process is finished. You can of course add debug statements to your script to help you find out what's going wrong.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

`echo` problem.

Have the following lines in a script: echo "-----------------------------------------------"\ "---------------------" >> $xdfrpt echo "- Date - - / - /stand - /u - /u1 - /u2 -"\ "/x1 - /x2 - /x3 -" >> $xdfrpt echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cameron
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo problem

Hi, I have given the following statement in a script to put the values of variables (VAR1, VAR2,...) in a file. echo " $VAR1 $VAR2 $VAR3 $VAR4 $VAR5" >> filename But the output is not coming properly. Variables VAR5, VAR4 are replacing the first (VAR1, VAR2,..). I can't... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abrd600
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo problem

echo "XXXXX" >> /xx/output.txt cat /xx/file.txt| awk '{tony=tony+$1+$2; print tony/$3*100}' >> /xx/output.txt Dear all, In this situation i will have 2 lines in the output file. What i want is to have only one output line. e.g: XXXXX "value" HOW to put the output of the "cat and awk" in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tontal
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple 'echo' question

Hi, I would like to output the identical line to 2 text files, ie output='blah' echo $output > test1.txt echo $output > test2.txt Is there a way I could do that output with ONE command, ie output='blah' echo $output > test1.txt & test2.txt (I know that doesn't work) Thanks for any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msb65
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

echo $ problem

Hi I am using tcsh. I want display in a file_1 like this. $VARIBALE I gave in a termianl > echo "\$VARIBALE" > file_1 Its not workning. It was giving VARIBALE: Undefined variable. I gave \ before $, but why it was giving undefined varible? Please help me. Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaitubek
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with echo *

Hello all, Please help with the below. I have a requirement where in I have to read a pattern and print it as shown below. Patterns will be as below. Input Output Pattern Should be printed as below with spaces such that I can awk. -*--* - * - - * *--**... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tenderfoot
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo problem

hi all i have little problem below is my shell script a=`sqlplus fss_cst/fss_cst@dolp1 << EOF SET PAGESIZE 0 FEEDBACK OFF TRIMOUT ON; select process from lfs$ta_process where valid_to_dat=to_date('9/16/2010','mm/dd/yyyy'); EOF` echo ${SQL} the script name is test2.sh when i execute... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aishsimplesweet
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

"Simple" echo/reading variable question...

Hello, I have a simple(I think) question! Although simple, I have been unable to resolve it, so I hope someone can help! OK, here it is: 1)I have an awk script that prints something, such as: awk '{print $2}' a > x so x might hold the value of say '10' 2)Now, I just want to check to see if... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: astropi
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple cat and echo question

Apologies, probably a really simple problem: I've got a text file (nh.txt) with this in it: user1 email1 email2 user2 email1 email2 etc With the following basic script: for tline in $(cat nh.txt) do echo "**********" echo $tline done ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nelmo
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

need simple echo question

Hi I want to use echo command as below echo 'dir=' $1 ' dir|file|home' i need output like below : echo 'dir=' $1 ' dir|file|home' pp13dff Output dir=pp13dff dir|file|home (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
4 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)