Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions script to write PIDs to a file Post 302572266 by navlelo on Wednesday 9th of November 2011 12:33:39 PM
Old 11-09-2011
script to write PIDs to a file

script to write PIDs to a file

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data:

write a script that writes the PID of 2 different processes to a file every other time. as in pid a , pid b, pid a, pid b etc. then write a script that calculates the average runtime of 100 run throughs. (supposed to write a similar program in c that writes the PIDs aswell, to compare runtimes of the 2)
2. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms:

bash
/usr/bin/time - built in gnu time thingy
octave - calculator for the time script

3. The attempts at a solution (include all code and scripts):
Code:

#!/bin/bash
function child{
        for X in {0..6}
do
                echo "$$"
                sleep 1
        done
        return 0;
}
function parent{
        for I in {0..6}
 do
                echo "$$"
                sleep 1
        done
        return 0;
}
#Start child function
child &

# Start start parent function
parent

this was supposed to get me the 2 PIDs, but not even that seems to work. will redirect them once I get them to return correctly
getting this error when I try to run it as executable
Code:
./pidbash.sh: line 8: return: can only `return' from a function or sourced script
./pidbash.sh: line 9: syntax error near unexpected token `}'
./pidbash.sh: line 9: `}'

4. Complete Name of School (University), City (State), Country, Name of Professor, and Course Number (Link to Course):
Norwegian University of Science and Technology NTNU, Trondheim, Norway, Svein Erik Bratsberg, TDT4186 Operativsystemer, TDT4186 Operativsystemer
Note: Without school/professor/course information, you will be banned if you post here! You must complete the entire template (not just parts of it).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to AutoKill PIDs of LOGED in Active User

:confused: Hi i am trying to make a script through which i can get the total number of User and their PID after that kill all Users except the one by which i am currently logged in. (i m using SCO UNIX 5.06) # id of current usre < total number of current user USR=`who -u |wc -l` # id of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aafflatoon
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for PIDs

I am trying to write a Shell script wherein the shell needs to read a list of PID in the File $stat/bin/Process and compare it to the PID of the processes running on a server. Also the script should return KO(not OK) with corresponding label :- a) When an environmental variable not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marconi
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can we grep a list of all running PIDs in a file !!??

Hi, In the following part of a script, I am grepping the list of all running PIDs in the File as in line 3 :- $pid_count=`grep -c "^${pid_process}$" $CRI_PUSH_BIN_HOME/bin/ PushProcessId` If I cannot grep this way, then how can I do so. 1 pid_process=`ps -ef -o pid,args |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marconi
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to write a script in UNIX to find a file if another file exists

So I have a lot of Java applications on my servers all having their own folder from the applications subdirectory. Now, I need to do the following. Search all the applications subdirectories for message.jar. If the message.jar file exists, I need to search the application directory for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mmdawg
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

need shell script to get last 10 char from a file name and write in to a new file

i have no idea abount shell script but i need need shell script to get last 10 char from a file name and write in to a new file. consider u hav 5 files in a particular dir i script should get last 10 char of each file n write the 10 char in separate files (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj0390
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write a new file from 2 files as input to the script

Hi- I am hoping someone can give me some pointers to get me started. I have a file which contains some dn's .e.g file 1 cn=bob,cn=user,dc=com cn=kev,cn=user,dc=com cn=john,cn=user,dc=com I have a second file e.g. file.template which looks something like :- dn: <dn> objectclass:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sniper57
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write script to call a file

Hello Experts, I have been trying to work on to call a file in scripts. @ECHO OFF call %MY_HOME%\bin\setvars.bat call %MY_HOME%\db\bin\start_db.bat. This is a batch file and i want to write same functionality in shell script. How should I achieve it? How should I set variables in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajuchacha007
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to write result to a file

Hello, How can I run this script every 1 hour and save its result to result.txt ifconfig | grep 'inet addr:'| grep -v '127.0.0.1' | cut -d: -f2 | awk '{ print $1}' Regards Shaan (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shaan_Shaan
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to search a particular String form a file a write to another file using perl script

I have file which contains a huge amount of data. I need to search the pattern Message id. When that pattern is matched I need to get abcdeff0-1g6g-91g3-1z2z-2mm605m90000 to another file. Kindly provide your input. File is like below Jan 11 04:05:10 linux100 |NOTICE... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raysf
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to write a shell script to convert text file to excel file.

Hi Everyone, I want your help to write a script which will take text file as input and on the basis of delimiter ":"script will create excel sheet. Example input: IpAdress:InstanceName:Port:ServerName 10.255.255.1:abc:2232:xyz_abc Output should be an excel sheet like below: Column... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: akabhinav18
8 Replies
std::hash< _Tp >(3cxx)													    std::hash< _Tp >(3cxx)

NAME
std::hash< _Tp > - SYNOPSIS
Inherits std::__hash_base< _Result, _Arg >. Public Types typedef _Arg argument_type typedef _Result result_type Public Member Functions size_t operator() (_Tp __val) const template<> size_t operator() (bool __val) const template<> size_t operator() (char __val) const template<> size_t operator() (signed char __val) const template<> size_t operator() (unsigned char __val) const template<> size_t operator() (wchar_t __val) const template<> size_t operator() (char16_t __val) const template<> size_t operator() (char32_t __val) const template<> size_t operator() (short __val) const template<> size_t operator() (int __val) const template<> size_t operator() (long __val) const template<> size_t operator() (long long __val) const template<> size_t operator() (unsigned short __val) const template<> size_t operator() (unsigned int __val) const template<> size_t operator() (unsigned long __val) const template<> size_t operator() (unsigned long long __val) const template<> size_t operator() (float __val) const template<> size_t operator() (double __val) const template<> size_t operator() (long double __val) const Detailed Description template<typename _Tp>struct std::hash< _Tp > Primary class template hash. Definition at line 58 of file functional_hash.h. Author Generated automatically by Doxygen for libstdc++ from the source code. libstdc++ Tue Nov 27 2012 std::hash< _Tp >(3cxx)