Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bourne shell & Korn shell
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bourne shell & Korn shell Post 302570424 by bobby1015 on Thursday 3rd of November 2011 12:10:20 PM
Old 11-03-2011
Thanks all..

---------- Post updated at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:09 AM ----------

When i type the following command

Code:
$ ps
PID TTY         TIME CMD
  9536 pts/30      0:00 ksh
  9632 pts/30      0:00 bash
  9638 pts/30      0:00 ksh
 20891 pts/30      0:00 ksh
   281 pts/30      0:00 sh
 29441 pts/30      0:00 ps

What does it mean ? How do I know which shell I am in ? Any help would be really appreciated .

---------- Post updated at 12:10 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:03 PM ----------

Got it.. Thanks vbe

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Video tutorial on how to use code tags in The UNIX and Linux Forums.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a file and replace a value- Bourne and Korn shell

Hello, I have a file called Delete and within the delete file I have the following statement: delete from employee where employee_id = " " how do I write a script that read from this file and replace: employee_id = " " with employee_id is null Please assist...greatly... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenix
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn Shell Script - Read File & Search On Values

I am attempting to itterate through a file that has multiple lines and for each one read the entire line and use the value then to search in other files. The problem is that instead of an entire line I am getting each word in the file set as the value I am searching for. For example in File 1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: run_unx_novice
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bourne shell or korn shell?

Hi, I have a script that uses "nohup" command to execute a korn shell script. Which one is the correct shell to use bourne shell or korn shell to execute a korn shell? and why? Thanks in advanced. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: XZOR
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

C shell & Bourne Shell

Hi Guys, My first post and simple one at that .. Really rusty with this shell scripting..\ I have a script called .. j.sh I am calling > j.sh LOG_PATH $BLMBRGDATA/blmbrg.properties where j.sh is grep $1 $2 | cut -d',' -f2 . $BLMBRGDATA is set to a directory path. why do i get :- $... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jsm66
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to log if the program contains both bourne-shell & pearl scripts

I have a program (say, MyProgram) written in Bourne-shell script, but at some point it calls another script written in pearl, as illustrated below: #!/bin/sh ..... case $x in 1) ConfigSystem1 ( b-shell script) 2) ConfigSystem2 ( pl) 3) ConfigSystem3 (b-shell) .... Then I create... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluemoon1
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to define array in Bourne shell , csh & ksh

Dear friends... Kindly if any one can help me to know the differences in definning & retreiving data from arrays in the sh,csh & ksh. I always facing problems in this issue. thanks...:) BR (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmad.diab
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need to understand the differences between the bash shell and the Bourne shell

I do not claim to be an expert, but I have done things with scripts that whole teams of folks have said can not be done. Of course they should have said we do not have the intestinal fortitude to git-r-done. I have been using UNIX actually HPUX since 1992. Unfortunately my old computer died and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: awk_sed_hello
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to activate Korn Shell functionnalities in Bourne Shell

Hi All I have writing a Korn Shell script to execute it on many of our servers. But some servers don't have Korn Shell installed, they use Borne Shell. Some operations like calculation don't work : cat ${file1} | tail -$((${num1}-${num2})) > ${file2} Is it possible to activate Korn Shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: madmat
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn Shell & Nawk...Filename changes

I have the following piece of code: YESTER=`TZ=aaa24 date +%b"-"%d` filelist2=$(find /export/home/gen/check/logs \( -name \*$YESTER\* ! -name \*ADM\* \) -print | tr '\n' ' ') nawk -F':' ' $2 ~ /Reason/ && $3 !~ /(PASSTHRU|OCAP|FP Power Button|Bootloader Reset)/ { split(FILENAME,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ther2000
2 Replies

10. Cybersecurity

'Shell Shock' vulnerability in Bourne shell

A severe vulnerability was discovered in Bourne shell. Just google for: bash vulnerability ... for more details. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cochise
5 Replies
sh(1)							      General Commands Manual							     sh(1)

NAME
sh - Shell, the standard command language interpreter DESCRIPTION
[Tru64 UNIX] Tru64 UNIX provides two command interpreters with the name sh. The XCU5.0 and POSIX.2 compliant command interpreter sh is available in the file /usr/bin/posix/sh and is described in the sh(1p) reference page. The Bourne shell, historically known as sh, is available in the file /usr/bin/sh and is described in the sh(1b) reference page. [Tru64 UNIX] Your initial, or login, shell is determined by your entry in the file /etc/passwd. This file can be changed only by your sys- tem administrator. You must use whatever procedures are in place at your location to have this entry changed. [Tru64 UNIX] If available on your system, you may use the passwd -s or the chsh commands to change your login shell. Note This option is not available if your site manages passwords through the Network Information Service (NIS) facility. Check with your system administrator. [Tru64 UNIX] Subsequent shells spawned from the initial shell depend on the value in the environment variable BIN_SH. If this variable is set to xpg4, the POSIX shell is started. If this variable is set to svr4, an SVR4 compliant version of the shell is started. If this vari- able is unset, the Bourne shell is started. If this variable is set to any other value, an error is reported and the results are unpre- dictable. See the EXAMPLES section for information on setting this variable. NOTES
[Tru64 UNIX] With Tru64 UNIX Version 4.0 the Korn shell, /usr/bin/ksh is the same as the POSIX shell /usr/bin/posix/sh. RESTRICTIONS
[Tru64 UNIX] The file /etc/shells must include entries for both the POSIX shell /usr/bin/posix/sh and the Bourne shell, /usr/bin/sh. If this file is incorrect, see your system administrator. EXAMPLES
Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the POSIX/ XCU5.0compliant shell, enter: BIN_SH=xpg4 export BIN_SH Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the SVR4 compliant shell, enter: BIN_SH=svr4 export BIN_SH Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to unset the variable BIN_SH, enter: unset BIN_SH Using the C/ shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the POSIX/XCU5.0 compliant shell, enter: setenv BIN_SH xpg4 Using the C/ shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the SVR4 compliant shell, enter: setenv BIN_SH svr4 Using the C/ shell, to unset the variable BIN_SH, enter: unsetenv BIN_SH FILES
User profile. Contains user information, including the login shell name. Contains the names of available and permitted shells. SEE ALSO
Commands: csh(1), ksh(1), Bourne shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p), passwd(1) Files: passwd(4), shells(4) Standards: standards(5) sh(1)