Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Understanding Benchmarks
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Understanding Benchmarks Post 302569810 by Corona688 on Tuesday 1st of November 2011 03:42:17 PM
Old 11-01-2011
The backup files may be deleted, dumped on tape and put in a fire safe, or what have you. Why keep them on the same system?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux Processing Benchmarks ?

Hello everyone. Does anyone know where to I could find published benchmarks for how a Linux box performs. It would be nice if I could find a comparison to the Windows OS. Thanks, Lance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lcstephens
2 Replies

2. Linux Benchmarks

Instructions for Linux Benchmarks

STEP 1: Get the source here: https://www.unix.com/source/bm.zip or https://www.unix.com/source/unix_linux_bench.tar.gz STEP 2: unzip or untar and cd into the bm directory STEP 3: make (Note: there is a pre-compiled Linux binary in the distro, so Linux users don't have to make a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

3. UNIX Benchmarks

Instructions for UNIX Benchmarks

STEP 1: Get the source here: https://www.unix.com/source/bm.zip or https://www.unix.com/source/unix_linux_bench.tar.gz STEP 2: Unzip or Untar STEP 3: make STEP 4: Run STEP: 5: Please login to www.unix.com and post test results along with platform info to: Include (if you... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

4. UNIX Benchmarks

unix s/w download using benchmarks

I downloaded the unix s/w given in the bench marks to my home laptop. The C: drive isn't partitioned.The instructions are given to unzip, make and run. please list the proper ways to do the commands how to unzipa nd make them. should i partition my hard drive? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravus
3 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Intel CPU benchmarks

Hey I was wondering if anyone knows here I can get a graph of Intel Vs AMD CPU's graph. I have found one and it's great though only for the desktop CPU. I'm also looking for one that includes the Pentium M CPU's and the next CPU's after that. This is because I'm looking at getting a laptop... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: woofie
1 Replies

6. Linux Benchmarks

Results for Linux Benchmarks

Hi, I was trying to build Linux Benchmarks with latest Intel C++ Compiler. When I used -ipo (inter-procedural optimization) option, arithmetic test (arith.c) failed on execution. The problem is Intel compiler's advanced optimization option (-ipo) optimizes much more than expected and this... (50 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpjain
50 Replies

7. UNIX Benchmarks

FreeBSD `buildkernel' and `buildworld' Benchmarks

Just for fun, I thought I'd post my output from `time make -j4 buildworld' and `time make -j4 buildkernel' and see if anyone else had any good times. The machine is an Intel Core2Duo 2.2GHz with 2048MB DDR3. -------------------------------------------------------------- >>> Kernel build... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glen.barber
1 Replies

8. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

VMmark virtualization benchmarks

Hi, We have to make a decision to buy 10 new servers for MS Exchange/Domain Controller running virtual tiles and for hardware we have choice of HP Proliant DL380 G6, Dell PowerEdge R710 & IBM X3650 M2, somebody sent me comparison of VMmark virtualization performance benchmark which states that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tayyabq8
1 Replies
backup(1M)																backup(1M)

NAME
backup - backup or archive file system SYNOPSIS
[-archive] DESCRIPTION
The command uses find(1) and cpio(1) to save a archive of all files that have been modified since the modification time of on the default tape drive should be invoked periodically to ensure adequate file backup. The option suppresses warning messages regarding optional access control list entries. backup(1M) does not backup optional access control list entries in a file's access control list (see acl(5)). Normally, a warning message is printed for each file having optional access control list entries. The option causes backup to save all files, regardless of their modification date, and then update using touch(1). prompts you to mount a new tape and continue if there is no more room on the current tape. Note that this prompting does not occur if you are running from cron(1M). The option causes to start a file system consistency check (without correction) after the backup is complete. For correct results, it is important that the system be effectively single-user while is running, especially if is allowed to automatically fix whatever inconsisten- cies it finds. does not ensure that the system is single-user. You can edit to customize it for your system. Several local values are used that can be customized: specifies which directories to back up recursively (usually meaning all directories); file name where start and finish times, block counts, and error messages are logged; file name whose date is the date of the last archive; file name that is checked by to remind the next person who logs in to change the backup tape; file name where start and finish times and output is logged. You may want to make other changes, such as whether or not does automatic correction (according to its arguments), where output is directed, other information logging, etc. In all cases, the output from is a normal archive file (or volume) which can be read using with the option. File Recovery creates archive tapes with all files and directories specified relative to the root directory. When recovering files from an archive tape created by you should be in the root directory and specify the directory path names for recovered files relative to the root directory When specifying the directory path name for file recovery by do not precede the leading directory name with a slash. If you prefer, you can also use with a option to determine how files and directories are named on the archive tape before attempting recovery. WARNINGS
Refer to in cpio(1). When runs out of tape, it sends an error to standard error and demands a new special file name from To continue, rewind the tape, mount the new tape, type the name of the new special file at the system console, and press If is being run unattended from cron(1M) and the tape runs out, terminates, leaving the process still waiting. Kill this process when you return. FILES
parameterized file names SEE ALSO
cpio(1), find(1), touch(1), cron(1M), fbackup(1M), frecover(1M), fsck(1M), acl(5). backup(1M)