Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: NIM client boot problem
Operating Systems AIX NIM client boot problem Post 302568072 by johnf on Wednesday 26th of October 2011 06:39:20 AM
Old 10-26-2011
Right the good news is the NIM server knows that the LPAR is there and ready to be installed. It also knows that certain resources are allocated to it.

Please excuse me if I am "Teaching my Granny how to suck eggs".

How did you try to boot the LPAR, from the NIM server? Or have you started the LPAR to SMS and setup the network boot configuration. This as you well know includes the IP address of the server, its subnet mask, and the IP address of the gateway. You can then PING the NIM master to make sure the network between the NIM master and client is open with no firewall in the way, which often happens.

Again if I am telling you things you already know please excuse me. The things I have outlined above are the usual reasons a NIM client will not boot from the NIM master.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

NIM client mksysb restore

Can a NIM client mksysb restore be performed via NIM (smitty nim) without the NIM client machine having the NIM server's IP and hostname in its /etc/hosts file? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kah00na
10 Replies

2. AIX

problem adding NIM client

Hello All, While trying to add NIM client to the NIM environment from NIM client machine, I get the following error: 1800-109 There are currently no additional SMIT screen entries available for this item. This may require installation of additional software before it can be accessed. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaix14
1 Replies

3. AIX

backup NIM client

Hello everyone I would like to hear your opinions about this procedure to backup a client to my nim master 1.-I got a cron that make a mksysb from x machine 2.-This mksysb I send by ftp to my nim master. 3.-When I got it in the nim master machine. I create a mksysb resource from this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
2 Replies

4. AIX

Back up a client NIM from nim master

Hello everyone Im trying to backup a nim client from nim master but I got this message COMMAND STATUS Command: failed stdout: yes stderr: no Before command completion, additional instructions may appear below. 0042-001 nim:... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

5. AIX

aix-configure nim client

:b:Hi... I need help to configure nim client on nim server.. can i define aix 5.3.4.0 on aix 5.3.7.0 nim server.. while i m configuring nim client on nim server its getting msg that images not same.. i need to confirm that both version should be same or not.. Thanks.. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumathi.k
5 Replies

6. AIX

filesets nim client

Hello everyone I was looking for the filesets to install a nim client on a linux box. (red hat 5 for power) I have the nim master on aix box and I have different nim client with aix. I download some filesets fron aix cd to linux box, but Im still hang up. Some one know where I can find... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

7. AIX

NIM : remove nim client info from the client

Hi. I change my client's IP and hostname but I forgot to change anything on the master. How can I redefine or modify my client's resource from my master, or with using smit niminit from my client ? Tks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stephnane
2 Replies

8. AIX

Nim client with different subnet to Master

Iam attempting to add a client to NIM however the new client has a different subnet than master 10... & 193... , I've established from redbooks that it should be possible but can't find anything that states how? Does anyone use nim in this way? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gefa
5 Replies

9. AIX

Problem in communication nim client with nim master

Hello, I have an AIX6.1 machine which is a nim client to my nim master which is also AIX6.1 machine. I had some problem to perform an installation on my client using smit nim . i removed /etc/niminfo file in order to do the initialization again but when i run the command niminit -a name=client... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
0 Replies

10. AIX

How to know NIM name from NIM client?

Friend's, I was playing around with NIM in my environment & had a quick question in mind which I didn't/couldn't find answer to, which is -- how to find the name of the NIM server sitting on the NIM client? All leads to the answer would be much appreciated, many thanks! -- Souvik (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thisissouvik
2 Replies
ypfiles(5yp)															      ypfiles(5yp)

Name
       ypfiles - Yellow Pages data base and directory structure

Description
       The  Yellow  Pages  (YP) data base lookup service uses a data base of files in the directory hierarchy.	A data base consists of two files,
       created by calls to the library package.  One has the filename extension and the other has the filename extension For  instance,  the  data
       base named is implemented by the pair of files and

A  data	base  served by YP is called a YP map.	A YP domain is a named set of YP maps.	Each YP domain is implemented as a subdirectory of
       containing the maps.  The number of YP domains that can exist is unlimited.  Each domain can contain any number of maps.

The YP maps are not required by the YP lookup service, although they may be required for the normal operation of other parts of the system.
       The  YP	lookup	service serves all maps. If the map exists in a given domain and a client asks about it, YP will serve it.  There is, how-
       ever, a set of default maps that the YP service serves.	The files representing these maps are listed in this description under Files.

For a map to be accessible consistently, it must exist on all YP servers that serve the domain.	To provide data  consistency  between  the
       replicated  maps,  an  entry to execute the command periodically should be made in the file on each slave server.  More information on this
       topic is in An entry in the file must not exist, either on a YP master server or on a pure YP client machine.

The YP maps should contain two distinguished key-value pairs.  The first is the key YP_LAST_MODIFIED, whose value is a  10-character  ASCII
       order number.  The order number should be the UNIX time in seconds when the map was built.  The second key is YP_MASTER_NAME, with the name
       of the YP master server as a value.  The command generates both key-value pairs automatically.  A map that does not contain both  key-value
       pairs  can be served by the YP, but the process will not be able to return values for ``Get order number'' or ``Get master name'' requests.
       In addition, values of these two keys are used by when it transfers a map from a master YP server to a slave.

Before they can be properly accessed, the YP maps must be initially set up for both masters and slaves by using the function.  Further,	YP
       maps must be generated and modified only at the master server location.	Copies of the master server YP maps can then be transferred to the
       slave servers using the function.  If is unable to determine a map's location, or if it is unable to determine whether the  local  copy	is
       more recent than the master copy, extra command line switches must be set when it is executed.

After  the  server  data  bases	are  set up, the contents of some maps may change.  In general, some ASCII source version of the data base
       exists on the master.  This version should be changed with a standard text editor.  The update is incorporated into the YP map and is prop-
       agated  from  the master to the slaves by running All maps must have entries in If a YP map is added, the must be edited to support the new
       map.  The makefile uses to generate the YP map on the master, and to propagate the changed map to the slaves.  The command is a	client	of
       the map ypservers, which lists all of the YP servers.

Files
See Also
       makedbm(8yp), rpcinfo(8nfs), ypmake(8yp), yppoll(8yp), yppush(8yp), ypserv(8yp), ypsetup(8yp), ypxfr(8yp)

ypfiles(5yp)