Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Print pipe separated list as line by line in Korn Shell Post 302566893 by polavan on Friday 21st of October 2011 11:37:20 AM
Old 10-21-2011
Print pipe separated list as line by line in Korn Shell

Korn Shell in AIX 6.1

I want to print the below shown pipe (|) separated list line by line.
Code:
line=es349889|nhb882309|ts00293|snh03524|bg578835|bg37900|rnh00297|py882201|sg175883
for i in line
do
  echo "Hello $line "
done

I wanted to execute the above for loop. But i can't even set the value for variable line.

When i try to set, i am getting the below error.
Code:
#line=es349889|nhb882309|ts00293|snh03524|bg578835|bg37900|rnh00297|py882201|sg175883
ksh: sg175883:  not found
ksh: py882201:  not found
ksh: rnh00297:  not found
ksh: bg37900:  not found
ksh: bg578835:  not found
ksh: snh03524:  not found
ksh: ts00293:  not found
ksh: nhb882309:  not found

Question1. Why am i getting the above error (not found) ?

Question2. How can I print the pipe (|) separated list line by line?

Last edited by Franklin52; 10-22-2011 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags for data and code samples, thank you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Miniature Shell - IO Redirection and Pipe line filters

hi, I was trying to write a miniature shell (ie, command line interpreter) to implement the features like 'IO Redirection' and 'Pipe line fileters'. Can anyone help me with sample shell sript to implement the above features. cheers supong (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: supong
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

To print a specific line in Shell or awk.

Hi, I want to echo the 15th line from a file named as abc.txt, also i want to echo only the values in that line not the line number. Thanks in advance:) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tushar_tus
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append line that does not contain pipe to it previous line

Hi All, I have a file which contains data as below When we see no pipe character in the line. append those lines to the previous line with pipe character till we get the next line with pipe character with ~(concat with ~) Input file looks like: 1080530944|001|john.l.bonner|Acknowledge|CN... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ainuddin
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert a line to columns, separated by | (pipe)

Hi, Plz help. input line 1;20100403;400|2;20100403;4|3;20290903;400|4;20290903;0|5;20290903;0|9;20100304;0|10;20100304;0|11;20100402;0|18;20100304;0 expected output 1;20100403;400 2;20100403;4 3;20290903;400 4;20290903;0 5;20290903;0 9;20100304;0 10;20100304;0 11;20100402;0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh3566
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete new line character ( - ) , korn shell

Hi guys , i need help so bad on this issue.. Basically i have to delete the line continuation symbol of first column variable and add the truncated part of that word in next line to first line. here i written sample 3 lines but originally i have bunch of lines in that file. client1_day- ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrismorgan
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn Shell script to insert at specific line

Hi, I am trying to put together a Korn Shell script to insert at a specific line. The system we use is SunOS 5.10 I can get the line number by using:- num=`sed -n '/export ENV/=' ./tmp.file` Not getting much headway using the above variable's value to insert - export SYBASE=/opt/sybase15... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aj8200
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use less pipe for grep or awk sed to print the line not include xx yy zz

cat file |grep -v "xx" | grep -v "yy" |grep -v "zz" (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] How to refer more than 9 command line inputs for a scripts in korn shell?

Hi all, I have a script which should take more than 9 command line inputs while running. Likescript.sh a s d f g h j j k l o p i u y t r e w Now in the script if I have to access one of the input which is at position after 9, in this case say 'p' then how can I do that? echo $12 will not work... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: pat_pramod
15 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe.

Sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe. Is it possible to replace a whole line piped from someother command into a file at paritcular line... here is some basic execution flow.. the line number is 412 lineNo=412 Now i have a line... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Reading a file line by line and print required lines based on pattern

Hi All, i want to write a shell script read below file line by line and want to exclude the lines which contains empty value for MOUNTPOINT field. i am using centos 7 Operating system. want to read below file. # cat /tmp/d5 NAME="/dev/sda" TYPE="disk" SIZE="60G" OWNER="root"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: balu1234
4 Replies
shell_builtins(1)														 shell_builtins(1)

NAME
shell_builtins, case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, while - shell command interpreter built-in commands The shell command interpreters csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1) have special built-in commands. The commands case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, and while are commands in the syntax recognized by the shells. They are described in the Commands section of the manual pages of the respective shells. The remaining commands listed in the table below are built into the shells for reasons such as efficiency or data sharing between command invocations. They are described on their respective manual pages. | Command | Shell alias |csh, ksh bg |csh, ksh, sh break |csh, ksh, sh case |csh, ksh, sh cd |csh, ksh, sh chdir |csh, sh continue |csh, ksh, sh dirs |csh echo |csh, ksh, sh eval |csh, ksh, sh exec |csh, ksh, sh exit |csh, ksh, sh export |ksh, sh false |ksh fc |ksh fg |csh, ksh, sh for |ksh, sh foreach |csh function |ksh getopts |ksh, sh glob |csh goto |csh hash |ksh, sh hashstat |csh history |csh if |csh, ksh, sh jobs |csh, ksh, sh kill |csh, ksh, sh let |ksh limit |csh login |csh, ksh, sh logout |csh, ksh, sh nice |csh newgrp |ksh, sh nohup |csh notify |csh onintr |csh popd |csh print |ksh pushd |csh pwd |ksh, sh read |ksh, sh readonly |ksh, sh rehash |csh repeat |csh return |ksh, sh select |ksh set |csh, ksh, sh setenv |csh shift |csh, ksh, sh source |csh stop |csh, ksh, sh suspend |csh, ksh, sh switch |csh test |ksh, sh time |csh times |ksh, sh trap |ksh, sh true |ksh type |ksh, sh typeset |ksh ulimit |ksh, sh umask |csh, ksh, sh unalias |csh, ksh unhash |csh unlimit |csh unset |csh, ksh, sh unsetenv |csh until |ksh, sh wait |csh, ksh, sh whence |ksh while |csh, ksh, sh Bourne Shell, sh, Special Commands Input/output redirection is now permitted for these commands. File descriptor 1 is the default output location. When Job Control is enabled, additional Special Commands are added to the shell's environment. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, sh also uses: : No effect; the command does nothing. A zero exit code is returned. .filename Read and execute commands from filename and return. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory con- taining filename. C shell, csh Built-in commands are executed within the C shell. If a built-in command occurs as any component of a pipeline except the last, it is exe- cuted in a subshell. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, csh also uses: : Null command. This command is interpreted, but performs no action. Korn Shell, ksh, Special Commands Input/Output redirection is permitted. Unless otherwise indicated, the output is written on file descriptor 1 and the exit status, when there is no syntax error, is zero. Commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, ksh also uses: * : [ arg ... ] The command only expands parameters. * .file [ arg ..Read the complete file then execute the commands. The commands are executed in the current shell environment. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory containing file. If any arguments arg are given, they become the posi- tional parameters. Otherwise, the positional parameters are unchanged. The exit status is the exit status of the last com- mand executed. the loop termination test. intro(1), alias(1), break(1), cd(1), chmod(1), csh(1), echo(1), exec(1), exit(1), find(1), getoptcvt(1), getopts(1), glob(1), hash(1), his- tory(1), jobs(1), kill(1), ksh(1), let(1), limit(1), login(1), logout(1), newgrp(1), nice(1), nohup(1), print(1), pwd(1), read(1), read- only(1), set(1), sh(1), shift(1), suspend(1), test(1B), time(1), times(1), trap(1), typeset(1), umask(1), wait(1), chdir(2), chmod(2), creat(2), umask(2), getopt(3C), profile(4), environ(5) 29 Jun 2005 shell_builtins(1)