Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Analyzing CPU usage
Operating Systems AIX Analyzing CPU usage Post 302566208 by zxmaus on Wednesday 19th of October 2011 08:26:21 PM
Old 10-19-2011
Hi,

thank you for the data ...

What I see is that you have awful average response times on hdisk85-90 - your 50-60 ms for writes is nowhere near being acceptable -and that your IO is very uneven distributed across disks ... maybe a simple volumegroup reorganization with maximum instead of minimum spreading across disks will bring you some performance improvement.

What I see as well is that you have lots and lots and lots of blocked IOs due to insufficient filesystem buffers (and your system needs lots of filesystem buffers as you have really significant reads that want to be buffered. I would probably start setting some general buffers. Post vmstat -v and vmstat -s outputs if you like.

For your system load, - from the data you attached to your last post, you seem to have way too many cpus entitled. As cpus are usually quite expensive, I would cut that down to maybe 1 cpu, monitor and see how your system is doing. Unfortunately that data does not really match to the data from your earlier post.

Next - your system is doing a lot of scanning and freeing when busy to make sure that the freelist contains enough free memory pages for the next IO cycle - IO needs to be cached and the more IO you have the more memory you will need to proper buffer it - OR you change the behavior of the filesystems doing the IO. Mount options like rbrw, noatime and similar can change the memory utilization significantly - so does setting oracle to filesystem_io_options (I think) to setall instead of async. If this is AIX 5.3 than you might or might not need some adjustments in async IO settings as the standard values are way too low and need to be adjusted.

Regards
zxmaus

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

cpu usage

hi, In response to your cpu usage answer I too read sys/sysinfo.h but , if we put these values to access the repective time fields in the array pst_cpu_time which is a member of the structure pst_dynamic values doesn't seem to match, why is like this? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushaga
0 Replies

2. Programming

Monitor CPU usage and Memory Usage

how can i monitor usages of CPU, Memory, Hard disk etc. under SUN Solaries through a c program or java program i want to store that data into database so i can show it graphically thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gajanad Bihani
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cpu usage

when i got the cpu usage values of the all process running in my sytem i see that 140% of the cpu is used. (using ps aux command) i have a 4 cpu system. can we say that averagely 35% of each cpu is used? and if i want to speak more precisely, how can i find out that, which cpu is used at... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
4 Replies

4. Programming

CPU usage and memory usage

Please tell me solaris functions/api for getting following information 1- Function that tells how much memory used by current process 2- Function that tells how much memory used by all running processes 3- Function that tells how much CPU is used by current process 4- Function that tells how... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mansoorulhaq
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CPU usage

can anyone tell me How to check memory and CPU usage of a certain process (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ccp
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

7. Solaris

current CPU usage, memory usage, disk I/O oid(snmp)

Hi, I want to monitor the current cpu usage, monitor usage , disk I/o and network utlization for solaris using SNMP. I want the oids for above tasks. can you please tell me that Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: S_venkatesh
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Multi CPU Solaris system shows 100% CPU usage.

Hello Friends, On one of my Solaris 10 box, CPU usage shows 100% using "sar", "vmstat". However, it has 4 CPUs and prstat and glance are not showing enough processes to justify high CPU utilization. ========================================================================= $ prstat -a ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahive
4 Replies

9. AIX

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage,memory usage,CPU usage,network..?

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage, memory usage, CPU usage, network usage, storage usage? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

10. AIX

Overall CPU Usage

Hi Guys, I am a newbie on the forum. This is my first post, so first of all I would like to introduce myself. I am a SAS Analyst programmer working for an Health Insurance client. SAS is installed on a 16 CPU AIX Server with partitions running with shared processor. I have couple of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabhiim2003
2 Replies
diskaudit_flush_interval(5)					File Formats Manual				       diskaudit_flush_interval(5)

NAME
diskaudit_flush_interval - determine time interval (in secs) for flushing audit records VALUES
Failsafe Default Allowed values Recommended values DESCRIPTION
The tunable controls the periodic interval between two consecutive flushes of audit records buffered in the kernel memory which is bound to a kernel thread. This kernel thread has 64KB of buffer size to hold the audit records, and there can be a maximum of 32 such threads. These kernel threads automatically flush their buffers if the buffers fill up completely, but that might take a long time depending upon the activities in the system. The value of the tunable should be set such that the threads keep cleaning their buffers when they are approximately half full, or are idle for a long time but still holding some data in the buffer. Keeping the tunable value too low will make threads flush too soon and may lead to too many small write operations, thus impacting performance. On the other hand, keeping the value too high might lead to high unflushed memory consumption. Who Is Expected to Change This Tunable? An administrator with proper privileges can change the value of Restrictions on Changing None. This tunable is dynamic. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Raised? When the system is not processing many audit-related activities. What are the Side Effects of Raising the Value? If the system is generating large numbers of records, and the value is raised, then it can result in a lot of unflushed memory, and might slow down the system. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Lowered? When the system is generating a lot of audit records. What are the Side Effects of Lowering the Value? If the system is not generating too many records, and the value is lowered, it might lead to a lot of small numbers of writes, which actu- ally only write to buffer cache and not immediately to the physical disk, with the actual write happening later on. This might impact per- formance again. What Other Tunable Values Should Be Changed at the Same Time? None. WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
audit(5). Tunable Kernel Parameters diskaudit_flush_interval(5)