Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk append fileA.txt to growing file B.txt Post 302564964 by birei on Saturday 15th of October 2011 05:54:41 PM
Old 10-15-2011
There will be better ways. With this method, create first fileB. And 'awk' command uses an auxiliar file (fileC in my example). Test it:
Code:
$ ls -1
fileA
$ cat fileA 
1  25
2  27
3  28
4  17
5  48
$ touch fileB
$ ls -1
fileA
fileB
$ awk 'NR == FNR { $1 = ""; sub( /[[:space:]]+/, "", $0 ); fileA[FNR] = $0; next } { print $0 "  " fileA[FNR]; fileB_exists = 1 } END { if ( ! fileB_exists ) { for ( i = 1; i <= length(fileA); i++ ) { print fileA[i] } } } ' fileA fileB >fileC; mv fileC fileB
$ cat fileB
$ awk 'NR == FNR { $1 = ""; sub( /[[:space:]]+/, "", $0 ); fileA[FNR] = $0; next } { print $0 "  " fileA[FNR]; fileB_exists = 1 } END { if ( ! fileB_exists ) { for ( i = 1; i <= length(fileA); i++ ) { print fileA[i] } } } ' fileA fileB >fileC; mv fileC fileB
$ cat fileB
25  25
27  27
28  28
17  17
48  48

Regards,
Birei

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a script to Append date to generated .txt file

Hi, Can anyone plz share their experience with - Building shell script to append the file with date in following format- Filename_MMDDYYYY.txt Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prince_of_focus
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

echo "ABC" > file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt

Hi Guru's, I need to create 3 files with the contents "ABC" using single command. Iam using: echo "ABC" > file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt the above command is not working. pls help me... With Regards / Ganapati (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganapati
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Binary txt file received when i use uuencode to send txt file as attachment

Hi, I have already read a lot of posts on sending attachments in unix...but none of them were of help for my problem...so here goes.. i wanna attach a text file and send to a mail id..used the following code : uuencode "$File1" "$File1" ;|mail -s "$Mail_sub" abc@abc.com it works... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ash22
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK CSV to TXT format, TXT file not in a correct column format

HI guys, I have created a script to read 1 column in a csv file and then place it in text file. However, when i checked out the text file, it is not in a column format... Example: CSV file contains name,age aa,11 bb,22 cc,33 After using awk to get first column TXT file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mdap
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

command to list .txt and .TXT file

Hi expersts, in my directory i have *.txt and *.TXT and *.TXT.log, *.txt.log I want list only .txt and .TXT files in one command... how to ?? //purple (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thepurple
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to append the date | abcddate.txt to the first line of my txt file

I want to add/append the info in the following format to my.txt file. 20130702|abcd20130702.txt FN|SN|DOB I tried the below script but it throws me some exceptions. <#!/bin/sh dt = date '+%y%m%d'members; echo $dt+|+members+$dt; /usr/bin/awk -f BEGIN { FS="|"; OFS="|"; } { print... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: harik1982
6 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

2 Questions: replace text in txt file, add text to end of txt file

so... Lets assume I have a text file. The text file contains multiple "#" symbols. I want to replace all thos "#"s with a STRING using DOS/Batch I want to add a certain TEXT to the end of each line. How can I do this WITHOUT aid of sed, grep or anything linux related ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pasc
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Desired output.txt for reading txt file using awk?

Dear all, I have a huge txt file (DATA.txt) with the following content . From this txt file, I want the following output using some shell script. Any help is greatly appreciated. Greetings, emily DATA.txt (snippet of the huge text file) 407202849... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk, sed, shell all words in INPUT.txt find in column1 of TABLE.txt and replce with column2 in

Hi dears i have text file like this: INPUT.txt 001_1_173 j nuh ]az 001_1_174 j ]esma. nuh ]/.xori . . . and have another text like this TABLE.txt j j nuh word1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alii
6 Replies

10. Programming

[Python] replicating "sha256 -C checksum_file.txt file.txt"

Hello everyone, Since my python knowledge is limimted, I've challenged myself to learn as much as possible to help me with my carrere. I'm currently trying to convert a shell script to python, just to give myself a task. There is one section of the script that I'm having issues converting and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: da1
2 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)						      General Commands Manual						     ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)