Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Find and Tar a Folder
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find and Tar a Folder Post 302564602 by mirni on Friday 14th of October 2011 06:48:22 AM
Old 10-14-2011
Your problem is that you are trying to create a file (archive) with the same name as directory that you are compressing. Remember though, that directories in UNIX are just files, and you cannot create two files with the same name. So basically, you have a name conflict there...

Workaround would be to name archives with some extension like:
Code:
find . -type d -name .... -exec tar -cvpf {}.zipped {} \;

and then delete the dirs and rename the archives. The original dirs can be removed in the same tar command with --remove-files switch, if your version of tar supports it, like:
Code:
find . -type d -name .... -exec tar --remove-files -cvpf {}.zipped {} \;

Then you just need to rename the .zipped archives.

=== EDIT: ===

After rereading your post, i realize all you need is to set the extension. If you invoke your function as
compressOldFolder Folder1

in your example; the find command should be:
Code:
find $1 -mtime +$2 ...<other find options>... -exec tar --remove-files -cvpzf {}.tar.gz {} \;

Because doing
Code:
-exec tar -cvpf {} $1

will try to compress the Folder1 and name the archive Nov2010 (but a file named Nov2010 already exists -- it's the orig dir)

You also want the -z option of tar to create gzipped archive

Last edited by mirni; 10-14-2011 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: -z option missing
This User Gave Thanks to mirni For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

extract tar.gz under a specific folder

Hi, How to extract a tar.gz file and put it under a designated folder that I specify in a one line command? thank you in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Jar/Tar to a diffent folder/same folder w/ filename

Hi, I want to extract myfile.war to a folder which is in the same folder with war file.I did this as normal: jar -xvf myfile.war But it exploded all the content of file to the same level folder instead of that I was expecting to create a folder called myfile. This works with tar: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: reis3k
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all text files in folder and then copy to a new folder

Hi all, *I use Uwin and Cygwin emulator. I´m trying to search for all text files in the current folder (C/Files) and its sub folders using find -depth -name "*.txt" The above command worked for me, but now I would like to copy all found text files to a new folder (C/Files/Text) with ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find folder within folder, then find other folder in same dir

Hi all I'm new to your forum but not new to shells. I'm having a little trouble though as it's been quite some time since I scripted. Here's what I'm trying to do: I'm trying to search a directory named '/var/root/Applications' for another directory 'fooBar'. The "Applications" directory... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: DC Slick
9 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Extract particular folder from a .tar format files.

Hi All- I want to extract a particular folder from .tar format files. For example: File Name: backup.tar The backup.tar contains the below folders & files. 1) /root_folder/Folder1/Folder1-1/* 2) /root_folder/Folder1/Folder1-2/* 3) /root_folder/Folder2/Folder2-1/* 4)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: k_manimuthu
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar file from current folder

Hello guys, I am sure this has been asked before, but honestly, I cant find post talking about it. Here is what I need: - A tar file will be generated manually by user - This tar file is then used within a bash shell script My source folder structure is like this: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manolain
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar-ing folders in a folder

How do I create individual tars of a all the directories in a directory? I have a directory called 'patients', each patient has a directory in the patients directory. I want to create tars such that each patient has their own tar file. Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: HappyPhysicist
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Do I need to extract the entire tar file to confirm the tar folder is fine?

I would like to confirm my file.tar is been tar-ed correctly before I remove them. But I have very limited disc space to untar it. Can I just do the listing instead of actual extract it? Can I say confirm folder integrity if the listing is sucessful without problem? tar tvf file1.tar ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivien_chu
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Untar only folder structure from a tar ball

I have a tar file hello.tar which is 95 GB. hello.tar has many files and folders including some tar files as well. I wish to create a new tar ball which should maintain only the folder structure of hello.tar and the tar ball within the hello.tar So basically the idea is to untar... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
GIT-TAR-TREE(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-TAR-TREE(1)

NAME
git-tar-tree - Create a tar archive of the files in the named tree object SYNOPSIS
git tar-tree [--remote=<repo>] <tree-ish> [ <base> ] DESCRIPTION
THIS COMMAND IS DEPRECATED. Use git archive with --format=tar option instead (and move the <base> argument to --prefix=base/). Creates a tar archive containing the tree structure for the named tree. When <base> is specified it is added as a leading path to the files in the generated tar archive. git tar-tree behaves differently when given a tree ID versus when given a commit ID or tag ID. In the first case the current time is used as modification time of each file in the archive. In the latter case the commit time as recorded in the referenced commit object is used instead. Additionally the commit ID is stored in a global extended pax header. It can be extracted using git get-tar-commit-id. OPTIONS
<tree-ish> The tree or commit to produce tar archive for. If it is the object name of a commit object. <base> Leading path to the files in the resulting tar archive. --remote=<repo> Instead of making a tar archive from local repository, retrieve a tar archive from a remote repository. CONFIGURATION
tar.umask This variable can be used to restrict the permission bits of tar archive entries. The default is 0002, which turns off the world write bit. The special value "user" indicates that the archiving user's umask will be used instead. See umask(2) for details. EXAMPLES
git tar-tree HEAD junk | (cd /var/tmp/ && tar xf -) Create a tar archive that contains the contents of the latest commit on the current branch, and extracts it in /var/tmp/junk directory. git tar-tree v1.4.0 git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release. git tar-tree v1.4.0^{tree} git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release, but without a global extended pax header. git tar-tree --remote=example.com:git.git v1.4.0 >git-1.4.0.tar Get a tarball v1.4.0 from example.com. git tar-tree HEAD:Documentation/ git-docs > git-1.4.0-docs.tar Put everything in the current head's Documentation/ directory into git-1.4.0-docs.tar, with the prefix git-docs/. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.3.1 06/10/2014 GIT-TAR-TREE(1)