Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: split record without pattern
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers split record without pattern Post 302563805 by ctsgnb on Wednesday 12th of October 2011 07:45:25 AM
Old 10-12-2011
Why don't you just :

Code:
fold -w10 $FILENAME

?

or just add the fold at the end of the line in your script:
Code:
echo $LINE | awk 'BEGIN{n=1}{while(substr($0,n,10)){print substr($0,n,10);n+=10}}' | fold -w10

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split a file with no pattern -- Split, Csplit, Awk

I have gone through all the threads in the forum and tested out different things. I am trying to split a 3GB file into multiple files. Some files are even larger than this. For example: split -l 3000000 filename.txt This is very slow and it splits the file with 3 million records in each... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a record

UNIX Scripting Hi I am trying to read a record and split it into multiple records My Record looks like this 1001A0010@B0010*&^0)C0012hgdj&6sD0020fhfri93kivmepi9 where UniqueID is 1001 segments are A,B,C,D length of each segment is 4 characters after the segment 0010 for A 0010 for B 0012... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pukars4u
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to split a file record

-Hi, I have a problem with parcing/spliting a file record into two parts and assigning the split parts to two viriables. The record is as follows: ftrn facc ttrd feed xref fsdb fcp ruldb csdb omom fordr ftxn fodb fsdc texc oxox reng ttrn ttxn fqdb ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a record based on particular match

Hi , I have a requirement to split the record based on particular match using UNIX. Case1: Input Record : 10.44.48.63;"Personals/Dating;sports";1441 Output Records : 10.44.48.63;Personals/Dating;1441;Original 10.44.48.63;sports;1441;Dummy Case2: Input Record : ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mksuneel
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Record split.

I want to keep only records contain length is 10 other records should remove from my original file without redirecting to other output file. Source 1234567890 123456789011234 abcdefghil Expected Result 1234567890 abcdefghil (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jairaj
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

split record based on delimiter

Hi, My inputfile contains field separaer is ^. 12^inms^ 13^fakdks^ssk^s3 23^avsd^ 13^fakdks^ssk^a4 I wanted to print only 2 delimiter occurence i.e 12^inms^ 23^avsd^ (4 Replies)
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reject the record if the record in the next line does not satisfy the pattern

Hi, I have a input file with the following entries: 1one 2two 3three 1four 2five 3six 1seven 1eight 1nine 2ten The output should be 1one 2two 3three 1four 2five 3six (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: supchand
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

split content and write to new record

Hi, Help required to split record value and write to new row. Input a~b~c~value in ('3','4','5')~test output a~b~c~3~test a~b~c~4~test a~b~c~5~test input a~b~c~value in ('3','4')~test output a~b~c~3~test a~b~c~4~test (8 Replies)
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to split record

Hi All, Need help in writing a shell script for the below requirement: i/p: 123456789 o/p: 123 456 789 Req: one record should be split into multiple based on the length ( after every third character it should be moved into next line) Thanks in Advance (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: HemaV
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to split one record to multiple records?

Hi, I have one tab delimited file which is having multiple store_ids in first column seprated by pipe.I want to split the file on the basis of store_id(separating 1st record in to 2 records ). I tried some more options like below with using split,awk etc ,But not able to get proper output. can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaggy
1 Replies
split(3tcl)						       Tcl Built-In Commands						       split(3tcl)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
split - Split a string into a proper Tcl list SYNOPSIS
split string ?splitChars? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Returns a list created by splitting string at each character that is in the splitChars argument. Each element of the result list will con- sist of the characters from string that lie between instances of the characters in splitChars. Empty list elements will be generated if string contains adjacent characters in splitChars, or if the first or last character of string is in splitChars. If splitChars is an empty string then each character of string becomes a separate element of the result list. SplitChars defaults to the standard white-space char- acters. EXAMPLES
Divide up a USENET group name into its hierarchical components: split "comp.lang.tcl.announce" . -> comp lang tcl announce See how the split command splits on every character in splitChars, which can result in information loss if you are not careful: split "alpha beta gamma" "temp" -> al {ha b} {} {a ga} {} a Extract the list words from a string that is not a well-formed list: split "Example with {unbalanced brace character" -> Example with {unbalanced brace character Split a string into its constituent characters split "Hello world" {} -> H e l l o { } w o r l d PARSING RECORD-ORIENTED FILES Parse a Unix /etc/passwd file, which consists of one entry per line, with each line consisting of a colon-separated list of fields: ## Read the file set fid [open /etc/passwd] set content [read $fid] close $fid ## Split into records on newlines set records [split $content " "] ## Iterate over the records foreach rec $records { ## Split into fields on colons set fields [split $rec ":"] ## Assign fields to variables and print some out... lassign $fields userName password uid grp longName homeDir shell puts "$longName uses [file tail $shell] for a login shell" } SEE ALSO
join(3tcl), list(3tcl), string(3tcl) KEYWORDS
list, split, string Tcl split(3tcl)