Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting AWK: Pattern match between 2 files, then compare a field in file1 as > or < field in file2 Post 302562362 by right_coaster on Thursday 6th of October 2011 03:44:14 PM
Old 10-06-2011
Awesome, works nicely... and I'll run it on my 12,000 line files and see how it goes. Thanks again.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read Field from file1 and find and replace in file2

Hi All, I have file1 line below: $myName$|xxx Now I need to read the file1 and find for $myName$ in file2 and replace with xxx file1: $myName$|xxx file2: My name is $myName$ expected output in file2 after executing the script is below: my name is xxx Thanks, (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gdevadas
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

using field 2 in file2 to complete field 3 in file1

Hello, I was hoping someone could help me with this work related problem... basically what I want to do is the following: file2: 1 o 2 t 4 f 5 v 7 n 8 e 10 a file1: 1 : (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarones
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Match pattern in a field, print pattern only instead of the entire field

Hi ! I have a tab-delimited file, file.tab: Column1 Column2 Column3 aaaaaaaaaa bbtomatoesbbbbbb cccccccccc ddddddddd eeeeappleseeeeeeeee ffffffffffffff ggggggggg hhhhhhtomatoeshhh iiiiiiiiiiiiiiii ... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucasvs
18 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare a common field in two files and append a column from File 1 in File2

Hi Friends, I am new to Shell Scripting and need your help in the below situation. - I have two files (File 1 and File 2) and the contents of the files are mentioned below. - "Application handle" is the common field in both the files. (NOTE :- PLEASE REFER TO THE ATTACHMENT "Compare files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Santoshbn
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retreive the records from file2 by using the first field in file1

Hi Freinds, i have a file1 as below file1 1|ndmf|fdd|d3484|34874 2|jdehf|wru7|478|w489 3|dfkj|wej|484|49894 file2 contains lakhs of records and not in sorted order i want to retrive only the records from file2 by searcing the first field of file 1 i used grep ^1 file2... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing first field of file2 with the second filed of file1 for matching cases

Dear All, Need your help..:D I am not regular on shell scripts..:( I have 2 files.. Content of file1 cellRef 4};"4038_2_MTNL_KALAMBOLI" cellRef 1020};"4112_3_RAINBOW_BLDG" cellRef 134};"4049_2_TATA_HOSPITAL" cellRef 1003};"4242_3_HITESH_CONSTRUCTION" cellRef... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ailnilanjan
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to search field2 in file2 using range of fields file1 and using match to another field in file1

I am trying to use awk to find all the $2 values in file2 which is ~30MB and tab-delimited, that are between $2 and $3 in file1 which is ~2GB and tab-delimited. I have just found out that I need to use $1 and $2 and $3 from file1 and $1 and $2of file2 must match $1 of file1 and be in the range... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to update field in file2 if not the same as file1

Trying to use awk to: update $2 in file2 with the $2 value in file1, if $1 in file1 matches $13 in file2, which is tab-delimeted. The $2values may already be the same so in that case nothing happens and the next line is processed. There are exactly 4,605 unique $13 values. Thank you :). ... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to update field using matching value in file1 and substring in field in file2

In the awk below I am trying to set/update the value of $14 in file2 in bold, using the matching NM_ in $12 or $9 in file2 with the NM_ in $2 of file1. The lengths of $9 and $12 can be variable but what is consistent is the start pattern will always be NM_ and the end pattern is always ;... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to look up values in File 2 from File 1, & printingNth field of File1 based value of File2 $2

I have two files which are the output of a multiple choice vocab test (60 separate questions) from 104 people (there are some missing responses) and the question list. I have the item list in one file (File1) Item,Stimulus,Choice1,Choice2,Choice3,Choice4,Correct... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: samonl
5 Replies
XZDIFF(1)                                                            XZ Utils                                                            XZDIFF(1)

NAME
xzcmp, xzdiff, lzcmp, lzdiff - compare compressed files SYNOPSIS
xzcmp [cmp_options] file1 [file2] xzdiff [diff_options] file1 [file2] lzcmp [cmp_options] file1 [file2] lzdiff [diff_options] file1 [file2] DESCRIPTION
xzcmp and xzdiff invoke cmp(1) or diff(1) on files compressed with xz(1), lzma(1), gzip(1), bzip2(1), or lzop(1). All options specified are passed directly to cmp(1) or diff(1). If only one file is specified, then the files compared are file1 (which must have a suffix of a supported compression format) and file1 from which the compression format suffix has been stripped. If two files are specified, then they are uncompressed if necessary and fed to cmp(1) or diff(1). The exit status from cmp(1) or diff(1) is preserved. The names lzcmp and lzdiff are provided for backward compatibility with LZMA Utils. SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), xz(1), gzip(1), bzip2(1), lzop(1), zdiff(1) BUGS
Messages from the cmp(1) or diff(1) programs refer to temporary filenames instead of those specified. Tukaani 2011-03-19 XZDIFF(1)