Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting help me with lab im new to bash.... Post 302561334 by Scott on Tuesday 4th of October 2011 12:07:58 AM
Old 10-04-2011
Do not post classroom or homework problems in the main forums. Homework and coursework questions can only be posted in this forum under special homework rules.

Please review the rules, which you agreed to when you registered, if you have not already done so.

More-than-likely, posting homework in the main forums has resulting in a forum infraction. If you did not post homework, please explain the company you work for and the nature of the problem you are working on.

If you did post homework in the main forums, please review the guidelines for posting homework and repost.

Thank You.

The UNIX and Linux Forums.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VMWare Workstation for home lab

I was wondering if anyone has used VMWare Workstation? I wanted to practice and learn Unix in a networking environment and have my own home lab. However room and money prevent me from buying several computers to do so. Any input would help thank you. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vedder191
0 Replies

2. Programming

Shell Script Lab

In the following Shell Script can anyone help me? What are the total scripts? What are the total binaries? What are the total files? #!/bin/sh GREP="/bin/grep -q" if ; then if ; then for | in ${I}/* ;do file ${I} | ${GREP} "executable" && echo "${I} is a binary" file ${I} |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rktompsett
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cant complete lab ???

heres the lab i did everything but when i issue the automated lab check. but it gives me this everytime ''you are missing the /home/smichaels/Labs/lab2b/group file, please create it as per step 12 of the lab. once you have corrected this problem, re-run the uli101.023 program'' im... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ink
1 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help completing lab.

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: ''you are missing the /home/smichaels/Labs/lab2b/group file, please create it as per step 12 of the lab. once... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ink
4 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

shell scripting while loop lab 15 help

hi.. this is shell scripting lab15.sh i dont understand this lab i am at the screen shot part. i was wondering if someone can take a quick look at this lab i have linked the doc below. i dont know where to start i have did the Required Errorlevels Errorlevel # but dont... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: beerpong1
1 Replies

6. Hardware

Electricity Savings for home lab

So, I have a kindof off the wall question. I've got 10 computers which I inherited from a charter school that closed that I did their admin work for. They're not servers, just workstations with ubuntu server running on them. I had them all up and running at one point... but crimineys the load on my... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jtollefson
8 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Processes Lab

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Here are my directions. I am pretty sure I am doing this right, but I just want someone more experienced to look... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagst3r21
4 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Lab ^

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Filter a file for lines that have exactly 5 numbers in a row. 2. Relevant commands, code, scripts,... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: herb bertz
13 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

System Admin. Lab

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Create a group id with your last name. Create 2 user IDs using your last name and the numbers 1 and 2. For each... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagst3r21
3 Replies

10. Hardware

Lab server organized software

Hello, Do you have any suggestion of any tool (web based preferably) about how to organize a lab environment? Now i save some info in excel sheet (one rack per column) , but i was thinking if any software exists. Thanks in advance! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: @dagio
2 Replies
SYSLOGOUT(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      SYSLOGOUT(8)

NAME
syslogout - modular centralized shell logout mechanism DESCRIPTION
syslogout is a generic approach to enable centralized shell logout actions for all users of a given system in a modular and centralized way mostly aimed at avoiding work for lazy sysadmins. It has only been tested to work with the bash shell. It basically consists of the small /etc/syslogout shell script which invokes other small shell scripts having a .bash suffix which are con- tained in the /etc/syslogout.d/ directory. The system administrator can drop in any script he wants without any naming convention other than that the scripts need to have a .bash suffix to enable automagic sourcing by the /etc/syslogout script. For shell sessions, the contents of /etc/syslogout.d/" will be sourced by every user at logout if the following lines are present in his $HOME/.bash_logout: if [ -f /etc/syslogout ]; then . /etc/syslogout fi If used for X sessions it is advisable to include the former statement into the Xreset script of the X display manager instead to prevent that closing of an terminal emulator window yields unexpected results in your running X session if your X11 terminal emulator is using a login shell. Be sure then to run it under the user-id of the X session's user. See the example files in /usr/share/doc/syslogout/ for illustration. Users not wanting /etc/syslogout to be sourced for their environment can easily disable it's automatic mechanism. It can be disabled by simply creating an empty file called $HOME/.nosyslogout in the user's home directory using e.g. the touch(1) command. Any single configuration file in /etc/syslogout.d/ can simply be overridden by any user by creating a private $HOME/.syslogout.d/ directory which may contain a user's own version of any configuration file to be sourced instead of the system default. It's names have just to match exactly the system's default /etc/syslogout.d/ configuration files. Empty versions of these files contained in the $HOME/.syslo- gout.d/ directory automatically disable sourcing of the system wide version. Naturally, users can add and include their own private scripts to be automagically executed by /etc/syslogout at logout time. OPTIONS
There are no options other than those dictated by shell conventions. Anything is defined within the configuration scripts themselves. SEE ALSO
The README files and configuration examples contained in /usr/share/doc/syslogout/ and the manual page for bash(1), xdm(1x), xdm.options(5), and wdm(1x). Recommended further reading is everything related with shell programming. If you need a similar mechanism for executing code at login time check out the related package sysprofile(8) which is a very close compan- ion to syslogout. BUGS
syslogout in its current form is mainly restricted to bash(1) syntax. In fact it is actually a rather embarrassing quick and dirty hack than anything else - but it works. It serves the practical need to enable a centralized bash configuration until something better becomes available. Your constructive criticism in making this into something better" is very welcome. Before i forget to mention it: we take patches... ;-) AUTHOR
syslogout was developed by Paul Seelig <pseelig@debian.org> specifically for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Feel free to port it to and use it anywhere else under the conditions of either the GNU public license or the BSD license or both. Better yet, please help to make it into something more worthwhile than it currently is. SYSLOGOUT(8)