Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting monitoring various things (mainly activity) on different unix boxes Post 302560601 by albator1932 on Friday 30th of September 2011 09:52:10 AM
Old 09-30-2011
monitoring various things (mainly activity) on different unix boxes

Hi there,

I want to ask you guys what you think about my problem.
I work as a sysadmin on about 7000 workstations or so and to save money and energy, we've decided to switch off as many workstations as possible during the night (probably by shutting it down by cron and power it on by WakeOnLAN).
We're also planning to develop a custom portal to let users choose if the workstation they're using cannot be shut down.

All of this is currently under discussion, and for now I need to report the nightly activity on a selection of workstations (RHEL4, RHEL5 and HP-UX 11.11), here is what I need :

- monitor if there's local user logged on the workstation
- monitor if there's remote user logged on the workstation
- activity of those users if applicable
- process running

Of course I first thought about the "ps -ef" and the "who" commands but there's about 50 workstations to monitor (during 2 weeks or so) and I'm not really a shell script guru and of course data collected must be compiled easily for me to report...

What do you think is the best option ?

Thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

text boxes, radio buttons , check boxes in c++ on unix

Hi ! Please tell me how to get radio buttons, text boxes , check boxes , option buttons , pull down menus in C++ on Unix. I think it would be done using curses.h ..but that's all i know. TIA, Devyani. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: devy8
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

users logging on to unix boxes

I have been asked to write a unix script to log and report all users logging on to our unix boxes as either the root or oracle users only on a 24 hour basis. This should trap the logon and logoff time,if possible what they are doing and their username. Thanks in Advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: irehman
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

monitoring /tmp and /var/tmp for suspicous activity

Hello, does anyone have a script that can check the contents of the /tmp directory and for example e-mail the directory content if anything other than session files are present? Maybe there are better ways to monitor suspicous /tmp and /var/tmp activity, if so I'm listening :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamesbond
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help! Suggestions on what I can I use my 2 unix boxes for?

Once upon a looong time ago I used to work with Unix systems - SGI mainly. Now I've inherited 2 boxes - an SGI dual processor Octane and an Indigo2. For the past 2 years they've sat waiting for me to do something with them and never getting round to it. I run a windows network at home so... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JimmyChang
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I install things on Unix?

I am really confused as to how to install a piece of software on Unix especially after having worked with Windows for over 10 years. I see the tar.gz, tar.gz2 and rpm packages. How do I install these things? Do I have to be a root to do this? If its only the root, then how do users generally... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Legend986
4 Replies

6. AIX

Monitoring the network activity happening in a port in AIX 5.3

Hi All, I would like to monitor the volume of Data that is transferred through a single port in AIX. I have nmon installed in my machine. What is the best possible solution for this problem. Thanks in Advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bravo13
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Monitoring all user keystroke activity

Hello, First post so bear with me....i've done lost of searches on this and did not find a definitive answer. I need to be able to capture in log every single keystroke a user performs, I am aware that the script command can be used to do this, however, here is my dilemma/problem. Here... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: giles.cardew
1 Replies

8. Solaris

how to config sudo in unix boxes

Hi How to configure sudo in all unix boxes. plz provide the step by step process. Regards Praveen (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

RHEL Linux process activity monitoring tool from windows 7 system

I have 2 RHEL 5.9 system where customized applications are running. These 2 servers are with in a network (LAN) with each other.One application in say Server 1 can talk to another application in server 2 and vice versa. The applications are exchanging data among each other. Recently I am... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan Ganguly
0 Replies
eneconv(1)					 GROMACS suite, VERSION 4.5.4-dev-20110404-bc5695c					eneconv(1)

NAME
eneconv - converts energy files VERSION 4.5.4-dev-20110404-bc5695c SYNOPSIS
eneconv -f ener.edr -o fixed.edr -[no]h -[no]version -nice int -b real -e real -dt real -offset real -[no]settime -[no]sort -[no]rmdh -scalefac real -[no]error DESCRIPTION
With multiple files specified for the -f option: Concatenates several energy files in sorted order. In the case of double time frames, the one in the later file is used. By specifying -settime you will be asked for the start time of each file. The input files are taken from the command line, such that the command eneconv -f *.edr -o fixed.edr should do the trick. With one file specified for -f: Reads one energy file and writes another, applying the -dt, -offset, -t0 and -settime options and converting to a different format if necessary (indicated by file extentions). -settime is applied first, then -dt/ -offset followed by -b and -e to select which frames to write. FILES
-f ener.edr Input, Mult. Energy file -o fixed.edr Output Energy file OTHER OPTIONS
-[no]hno Print help info and quit -[no]versionno Print version info and quit -nice int 19 Set the nicelevel -b real -1 First time to use -e real -1 Last time to use -dt real 0 Only write out frame when t MOD dt = offset -offset real 0 Time offset for -dt option -[no]settimeno Change starting time interactively -[no]sortyes Sort energy files (not frames) -[no]rmdhno Remove free energy block data -scalefac real 1 Multiply energy component by this factor -[no]erroryes Stop on errors in the file KNOWN PROBLEMS
- When combining trajectories the sigma and E2 (necessary for statistics) are not updated correctly. Only the actual energy is correct. One thus has to compute statistics in another way. SEE ALSO
gromacs(7) More information about GROMACS is available at <http://www.gromacs.org/>. Mon 4 Apr 2011 eneconv(1)